30+ min. commuters: WHY do you commute so far?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 11, 2008

Are jobs so scarce in your area that you have no choice but to drive? Did you take the first job you were offered and didn't consider the drive? Did you hear wonderful things about your school which made the commute worth it?

Just wondering about some reasons for the commute. I'm trying desperately to avoid it. I like to drive, but gas prices are horrid and I have a son to get to school on days my husband has to be at work by 7AM.

3. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

There are days it takes 30 minutes to get through the suburb I live in. JK, that's a little extreme, but not by much. I drove 9 miles a few years ago and that took me up to 30 minutes if there was snow, traffic, I hit every red light etc. Therefore, most days, I allowed 30 minutes to get there.

I have driven an hour-2 hours (3 when it snowed hard and then I wondered why I even went in...) one year and I quit at the end of the year. Was the distance unheard of? No way. 27 miles each way, but the series of roads was just the wrong combo.

This year I am 12 miles away from work. Driving would take me anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour I am sure. I will be taking the bus most days and that will take me 50 minutes.

These are very common commute times around me. It really depends on the time you leave and what time you need to get where you are going. My mom drives 25 miles and it takes about 30 minutes, but her company allows her to leave after rush hour is completely over. I turned down a job across the street from her office because schools can't offer that perk.

Jobs aren't super abundant where I am, they aren't impossible either though. I applied to probably 100 positions this year. I got 3 interviews and 1 offer. I took the offer even though it's not my first choice and the location is many times farther than I went this past year (about 3 miles/5 minutes).

4. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I drive 30 mins one way with two other teachers. The reason why? I haven't been able to find a job closer to home yet. And I have tried the past 2 years. I have interviewed for 6 jobs in the past two summers and have either been #2 on their list or am not completely certified for the job. It's very frustrating!!!

5. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I took the first job I was offered before I had even graduated. I did it for 2 reasons, one... it's super hard to get a job here in Portland without any added endorsements, and two... I absolutely love the school. The school is about 30 min away so I suppose I'll give myself 40 min just in case. I feel lucky though because I will be driving out of Portland (away from city traffic) and against the people who come into Portland everyday.

People often make an "Oh, I'm so sorry for you" face when I tell them how far the school is, but honestly, I worked about 15-20 minutes away for 6 years and that sometimes took me over an hour because I had to travel down a major interstate (I-5) and you never knew what could be going on. My new drive is beautiful and peaceful and only a small handful of lights. I think I will go to the library and get books on CD.:)

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

I live where I do because I like it a lot. It is a beautiful town on a huge lake (4 counties share the lake- that is how large it is). The area is very trendy, safe and fairly young.
    Now, I teach in the middle of nowhere. Population is less than 500. Very country. I could have gotten an apartment about 15 minutes away (in a large town), but I do not like the area. It has high crime in some areas and moving from out of state, I did not know what was safe and what was not.

I am not a country girl, by any means. I grew up 10 minutes from a fairly large city (as a child, it was the 2nd largest in Michigan- it is now 3rd) and less than an hour from the outskirts of Detroit. I couldn't imagine living somewhere that the nearest Target or Kohls was 35-40 minutes away! Much less anything else.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

I really love my school. I feel like I am the luckiest person in the world to work there.

It happens to be in a very expensive subburb. I like living in the city (which is not cheap either) but I like the atmosphere here. I like living in the "gayberhood" and being able to walk to restaurants, visit friends, walk to my yoga place, to the grocery store. I like the community here. I can't get that in the ritzy subburb my school is in. I also can't afford to live there. I would have to live in the "crummy" part of town, which is where all the strip malls are... ick.

I don't like street parking, walking 3 flights to do laundry and washing dishes by hand. If I start hating those things enough I will move to a subburb NEAR my school, but not the one my school is in. I don't like the politics of that district (school and legislative.)

So I commute to live in the area I want to live in...

This is my cute little neighborhood!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How could it NOT be awesome living here?????

If I lived in the only affordable place in my school's area my view would be of a Rite-Aid and a Taco Bell.

8. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I'm just curious as to why you want to know this? Are you considering a position farther away?

I commute about 45 minutes one way to work. I get more money for teaching north of where I live and the school is absolutely amazing.

9. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

In my case it was the only job available and it turned out to be an awesome school, so I really didn't mind. When you don't have a job, a long commute is the least of your worries.

10. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

My commute is about 45 minutes to my school. I live out of state (cheaper for us) and this was the first position I was offered (which I loved so the commute is no issue for me). I drove over a hour every day for student teaching so this is a treat for me. Plus, I love the drive. It gets me ready for the day and when I drive home, I can have some downtime before getting home to the dog and hubby.

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

I HATE this attitude from people. I'm from Michigan, where everyone drives a commute to work. My dad pulls about an hour each way, my mom pulls about 45 minutes, and I did around 40 minutes. Driving is no big deal there. In Northern California, people don't like to commute. It's nice that a lot of them can live so close to their offices (we're about 3 blocks from Erik's office), but I could NOT find a teaching job in this county. It's a very nice county, so I think teachers stay put once they are in. I found a great position at a school about 50 minutes from our place, on the other side of the bay. The drive is against traffic, and very relaxing (except for one little stretch over by Oakland, where all the traffic spills into one stretch). Other than that, great. But all people can see is the time. I timed my husband when he drove from San Francisco to Sausalito (where we live now), before we moved, and he was at about 45 minutes. That was just getting through the city and over the bridge-he didn't think it was bad because the distance wasn't there. To me, that was worse than the drive I'll be doing because it was so darn stressful! I hate driving in the city and I REALLY hate driving over the Golden Gate bridge.

So anyhow, I took the job because a drive is not a big deal to me at all, it was the only job I was offered that I felt truly comfortable with, and it looks like it's going to be a magical school/year. My husband, however, hates that I'm driving so far, reminds me daily, and is begging me to look closer for next year. Everyone sees commutes differently.

12. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I will be driving 26 miles or about 40 minutes each way this year. Why? Well, I'll be carpooling with a friend which makes it easier and saves on gas. I could've lived closer, but my school is in a rural town and the area I could've chosen to live isn't as safe or as "happening" as the one I chose. The school is awesome with excellent administration which will make "the drive" worth it. And, I don't like living in the same community as my students (don't want to see them in Target, etc.) and living this far away assures that I won't run into anyone which is nice. And, I actually like driving-gives me time to clear my head or wind down from the day which is great.

13. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

I actually lived about 75 miles from my school when I started there. I did that drive for about a month until we moved.

When we were deciding where to live we drew a circle around my school and estimated that a 40 mile drive was going to be reasonable. We decided on our first home since it was in close proximity to DH's parents, who were going to need our help, so it made sense to be close. As the years went by the drive was no big deal. 5 years ago we found the house that we had been dreaming of, so we moved, which then put me about 12 miles further from school. It added about 20 minutes to my drive.

I live where I live and teach where I teach because I love both places. My school is in Berkeley, which is an experience in itself. I'm given a great deal of freedom to teach the way I want to. I love the goofyness and energy that is in a university town. I live on a farm. We raise beef cattle, we have a huge garden that I tend during the summer, we have 27 barn cats that I feed every morning and evening. I love that it is so quiet in the evenings that I can hear little scrabbly footsteps going through the meadow.

If I have to drive so that I can have both of these things, I'm willing to do it.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

GoldenPoppy-we're almost neighbors! I love Berkeley, and would love to live there. It's so similar to Ann Arbor, my first love...

15. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I work at the closest high school to my house, and it's 13 miles away. I was very forunate to be hired there because the NEXT closest high school would be a 40 minute commute. I don't live in the city or anything, so there just aren't high schools on every corner. There's one every 20 miles or so. If you don't get hired at the one or two closest to you, then you have at least a 30 minute commute.

16. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Aug 11, 2008

Miss Froggy, your neighborhood looks so cool & fun! I always knew I wanted to *settle* in the town I grew up in and raise my family there (a small town). However, I think one of my biggest regrets in life is going to be that I never experienced living somewhere "walkable" like a city while I was young and single. I would've loved to have a cute neighborhood to walk around and grab a bite to eat or a coffee. Now that my husband and I have bought a house in our hometown and I've secured a teaching job there, it's likely never going to happen. I'm so jealous of your little town!

17. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I don't have the job yet, but the school board is meeting tonight to decide if I get it or not (cross your fingers!). Anyway, if I do get the job, it's about 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic. There are a couple of reasons I'm going to take it. This year there were ZERO jobs listed at any of the several schools within a thirty minute drive. I don't mean there were none that I was qualified for, I mean there were none, period. It's a great area, so teachers stay put as long as humanly possible. Secondly, gas prices are high, but the way I look at it, if I get a job I'll be making money and even if I have to spend 20% on gas (which is a high guesstimate) then I'm still making 80% more than if I had no job at all. Plus, I find long drives through the country relaxing. I can clear my head, listen to the radio or a book on tape, and hopefully be fully de-stressed by the time I get home.

18. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

I have about a 35 minute commute, longer if there is inclimate weather, traffic, or road construction. When I got started in this district, I was only about 15 minutes away, but we moved 2 years ago further away, into a house that I love. I don't think I would ever work where I live because I wouldn't be able to get away from the kids (shopping, in the park, etc).
    I don't think I have it bad though, my husband has an hour long commute and during the school year gets stuck behind buses and dump trucks, etc., because it is not a highway route. He always listens to books on tape...I think that is the only way he stays sane!

19. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

I have a 35 minute commute. I have been at my school 12 years and moved to my house now 7 years ago. When I lived in the city, I still had a half hour commute. I don't teach close to my house because the parents basically run the school district. Actually the rich parents. I live in a ski town so we have a lot of people who either have money or we have the illegal immigrants working the jobs that keep the city running. The parents tell the principals what to do, who in turn tell the teachers. The parents are actually in on the interviews and part of the hiring process. If they don't like you, you are gone. My school is in a low income area. Not a lot of pressure and I feel I am needed more there. Plus don't want to be a provisional teacher again!

Miss Froggy where do you live? Looks like a great area!

20. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

Jem, you'll be going right past us every day!

Sausalito is lovely. Much cooler than where I am.

21. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

I live a couple of miles from downtown Houston, in a fantastic old neighborhood that sprang up in the '40s. We bought our house two years ago, love the neighbors and the area, and don't plan on moving -- ever.

Nearby is a major bayou, so there is lots of crazy wildlife, which is fun. And speaking of wildlife, anything and everything I could want is nearby, and often open 24 hours a day. I'm definitely an urban girl, so where I live suits me to a T.

However, this is my first year of teaching, and I wanted to begin my career in a small town, with a small district that was both modern & "relaxed." I found the district I wanted and was lucky enough to be hired by them.

BTW, here in Texas, something could be 40 miles away and it would be considered "just down the road" (other native Texans here can attest to that :)). That's no big drive. It would take me longer to drive from Houston's east side to its west side than it does for me to drive to another town!

22. kickatstars

kickatstars Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

For the last two years, I drove an hour each way. Originally, I lived about 20 minutes from my school, but I moved out of the county because I couldn't afford to live alone anymore, and the only roommate I could find also drove about 45 minutes each way. Until gas prices sky-rocketed, it was actually cheaper to drive 2 hrs a day than to live closer to school. I now live about 25 mins from school, with two other teachers. Sadly, my rent went up, but I didn't even get a COLA. I'm thinking of switching districts next year if the situation doesn't improve financially.

23. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 11, 2008

The reason why I originally took a job with about an hour commute was because my husband's job had been relocated and at this point it was August and I needed/wanted a job for the new school year.

I am happier now being at a closer school to my house. I have literally regained 80 minutes of my life EVERYDAY. This means more sleep in the am and more time after school.

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

I have a 30ish minute commute and I wouldn't want a shorter one. It gives me time to relax and I listen to the same radio talk show in the morning and I love it. I just need that me time I think

25. msmath

msmath Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I used to have a long commute. I lived in the suburbs outside of NYC. Many people commute into the city for work. It's norm to drive or take the train. I wanted to teach in the city, not the 'burbs. I started in a program where I needed to teach in the city; however, I don't plan on leaving. I love the city, so I moved last year. Now I have a closer commute, and I love where I live.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 11, 2008

I used to drive almost an hour to work. I could not find a job in my area and after 3 years I gave up looking "in the neighborhood" and just applied somewhere else. My family was the type to say OH NO you're going to drive ALL THAT WAY??? It was fine (except in the snow) and I ended up moving very close to the school now so it's not an issue. My husband has to drive an hour in the opposite directions because the pay is better in areas south of us in his profession.

27. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 11, 2008

My last position was in a country school about 50 minutes from my home. I took the job because at the time I was still in college and just wanted to make sure I had SOMETHING. I liked the district and stayed there 5 years. In that time, we moved a bit closer and cut my commute by 20 minutes (to 30 minutes). My new position is 8 minutes from my house. I LOVE that. I have 2 small kids (one in daycare and 1 in school) and having that extra time to get them off the bus or to school in the AM is worth it. I didn't mind the longer commute, but I prefer the shorter one.:)

28. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I don't have a long commute but one of my former coworkers did, an hour and half each way. More than that, she was commuting from Deleware to Baltimore each day! She did it because there were no jobs available in Deleware. She resigned this past year because of the high gas prices but now wants to come back because the prices have started to go down (and we all want her to come back!!!). I know many people who commute to work with 45 minutes to an hour each way. I'm lucky because Baltimore is so small and my commute is limited to about 15 minutes each day!

29. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2008

Totally out of necessity. If I could afford to live closer I would but I would be living in a cardboard box if I didn't.

30. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 11, 2008

Hey guys - thanks for all the input.

Someone asked why I posted this topic and the reason is, I have no choice but to take a job out of town. I just wanted to know about commutes and get your take on things. I appreciate all the feed-back.

I had to commute an hour when I was in college because it was the closest place to get a BS in Special Ed and I'm married with a kid so it's not like I can up and move at the drop of a hat. I ended up enjoying the drive but it was hard juggling everything to make it work. That my major fear of commuting for work.

Oh and I agree with everyone else - Mrs. Froggy's neighborhood looks and sounds fun. Thanks for posting the pics. :)

31. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I drive an hour each way. I love my district and my school. One of the best districts in PA. And it happened to be my first offer. Of course I would have accepted any position, but if it came bw the hour away job and one in my own city, I would pick the farther one. Also, in the future i would rather live in the district that is an hour away, rather then where I am now which is RIGHT outside of the city.

32. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2008

I met and married a country boy so I had a commute of an hour each way, and I was teaching in one of the best schools in the state so I didn't want to move. Two years of that commute made me look elsewhere and then I got a job in the next town over so my commute is only 22 miles. I have never applied at the school where I live.

33. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

A 30 minute drive for me is actually not going that far. I live in a big city, so there's a lot of traffic. We have to be at school at 6:45. I get up around 5:30. It's not that bad.

34. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

My commute is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way. Our house is about 1/2 way between my job and my SO's. We live near my family. We have a 3-bedroom house with a fenced-in backyard for the dog. The cost of living where I work is so ridiculous that we'd only get a studio apartment. I love my school and make more than I would teaching public school.

35. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

I love my school and my inexpensive, beautiful apartment complex. I keep thinking I should move closer to school, but hate to leave a home I love so much.

36. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

if there is ZERO traffic i'm about 30 minutes away... usually it takes about 40-45 min to get to work. I don't mind it for two reasons... first of all, i live about half way between my job and my partners job... she goes north, I go south. Secondly, I perfer to live a little distance from my students. Much less chance in running into them at a store or restaurant. :D

janet

37. teachme

teachme Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I have a heart for the urban areas... and living in those areas is not an option. I drive 26 miles, varies between 40-60mins so I can teach in those areas.

38. Druin

Druin Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I live 35 miles from my school. I live in a northern suburb and my school is in a southern suburb. For me, I love being able to just be me rather than "Mrs. So-and-So" when I'm out and about. It is nice to be able to talk to hubby about my day without worrying who might be eavesdropping. I know that seems selfish, but I really need the separation just for my sanity :)

39. Shinchan

Shinchan Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

I drive 73 miles one way. It was my first teaching job offer so I accepted. But my lease is ending at the end of the month so I was open to moving. I just started looking for places around the school. Only bad thing about the commute is I have to bring my doggie along and put him into daycare near the school...the places near me don't open early enough for me to put him in one nearby.

40. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

In my area, jobs are that scarce. There are often upwards of 200-300 applicants per job. In many of the areas closer to where I live, it's not how good of a teacher you are but WHO you know :(.

41. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 11, 2008

I drive over 20 minutes each way. I have driven up to 45 minutes one way. I chose to live in an area that met my families needs. We could afford a nicer house here and more land. The drive does not bother me. Light traffic. If I want to get home about 5 minutes faster, I can jump on one of Oklahoma's many turnpikes.