30-45 min workout-Can you help?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by VANewbie, Jul 7, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

I know many of you have seen my threads on pilates and losing my pouch.

I know nothing about working out so I need help. I would like to develop a simple exercise routine to start me off on the right track.

Today I walked on the treadmill for 20 mins on 3.1. No incline or anything. Then I ran for 5 mins. (I have to start off slow here. :lol:)

Then I used the elliptical machine for 10 mins.

I know I need to build up my time on the machines over time and I will. I have before.

I really want to tone and lose my pouch.

Suggestions?

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

Well, I think what you are doing is great. I have been working out since I was 16, but this last year I got super lazy, and ended up doing only about 3 workouts a week. I really want to pump things up. I think you should definitely start with 30-45 minutes. Why not 30 minutes of aerobics, and 15 minutes abs? You should focus on your core muscles, and can look up exercises for that. Working the core muscles can help your ab area, and the different exercises are not all terribly boring like crunches. I just finished my workout, btw! :)

4. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

I do Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred. There are 3 levels of 3 circuits (3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs). It's a good workout if you don't have a lot of time. I also just purchased her "Six Week Six-Pack" which is a lot of stomach toning exercises, but I haven't tried it yet. You can YouTube it to see if it's something you'd like. The DVD is only about $8 on Amazon.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2011

Here's my routine:

Mon~stretch, 30 minutes treadmill, 30 minutes biceps and back exercises, abs

Tue~stretch, 45 minutes ellptical

Wed~stretch, 30 minutes treadmill, 30 minutes triceps, shoulders, abs

Thur~stretch, 45 minutes ellptical

Fri~stretch, 30 minutes treadmill, 30 minutes legs and abs exercises

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 7, 2011

I love Jillian Michaels - her 30 Day Shred works - I need to check out her Six Week Six Pack.

ETA: Just ordered it from Amazon, $7.77.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

Oh...You can also do interval training once you feel like you want to get weights into the mix. You can do that by alternating with aerobics and weights. This might look like 5 minutes of aerobics, then 5 minutes weights. You do this for the 30-45 minutes. But, always give your body a day to rest from weights to let your muscles build themselves back up. So while you can do aerobics following the day you used weights, you don't want to do another do of weights, as it will be ineffective. The muscles get torn down as you weight train, and it's while they repair that they become tone. So, if you disrupt the process, you will consequently not be doing yourself much good.

8. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jul 7, 2011

I have been slowly building up on the eliptical and treadmill. I started with 5 mins warmup and then 30 seconds jogging or going fast on the eliptical and then 90 seconds cooling off. I did that for 3 sessions, then I uped it to 60 seconds. I build up 30 seconds after 3 workouts and I feel like I am really getting conditioned. I started barely going 2 miles in 30 mins and now I am up to about 3.25 in 30 mins. Today I went 45 and went 4.5 miles :)

I think it has worked well to slowly build up.

9. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 7, 2011

I've been doing Power 90 which is the pre-cursor to P90X. Power 90 is recommended for people who have been too sedentary to immediately jump into the intensity of P90X.

It alternates between Circuit (strength training) and Cardio/Abs (Yoga/ boxing/ core exercises) and lasts about 30 minutes each. The trainer, Tony, walks you through it and behind him are two "assistants", one male and female. They show you how to do each exercise with weights and with resistance bands (I use a resistance band) and alternates of the exercises.

There's level 1-2 for beginners and level 3-4 for more intermediates. I just finished week 1 and I'm using the level 1-2. Although I haven't seen the numbers go down on the scale, I feel a lot stronger and much more energetic and the tape measure says I'm already losing inches (1" around the stomach!). I'm planning to take it to Mexico with me while I'm gone for grad school since it's a dvd I can use with my laptop, resistance band and a yoga mat. I can't to see where I am a day 30, 60 and 90!

10. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

I do this too! It's a great workout!

11. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

I have the 30 Day Shred but have never tried it. The problem with that is I never get around to it in my home. I am much better at leaving the house to work out instead.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2011

Add some weight bearing...you could carry light weight while walking or do some light weight lifting. Good for tone.

13. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

I never thought about carrying weights. That is a good idea. I could start off with 5 lbs or less.

I have been reading about the elliptical machine and some people say it is really good for quick tone and losing belly fat and then others say it is a waste of time.

I am wiling to do something harder to get the results quicker.

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2011

I've always found running/jogging to be the most effective workout. This is mostly what I did when I was really overweight in high school and started working out. I started with one mile (running the entire time, even if I had to run slow) and worked my way up. I got to where I would run 5-10 miles a day. Once I started to get in better shape, then I added in weights. I lost 80 pounds doing this and Weight Watchers. I've gained back a lot of weight since getting married, so I've been working out with a personal trainer and going to a boot camp until school starts.

15. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

I can't even imagine running with weights at this point. Maybe fast walking but not running. Good for you!

16. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 7, 2011

I LOVE the 30 Day Shred - it's not a long workout and you see results!

17. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2011

I didn't run with the weights-I did strength training after running. If you did want to run with weights though, they have wrist and hand weights that strap on-so at least you wouldn't have to hold on to them!

18. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

When do you start seeing results? I know a couple of people who have done it and they saw no results in the 30 days. Then after you complete the 30 days do you go back and do it again or start something else?

19. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

Yes that makes more sense.

20. rabyoga

rabyoga Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

You're on the right track with exercising... But, don't forget about your diet. Eat healthy!! I always worked out but my diet was awful. This last year, I started eating fresh veggies/fruits and lean meats and stop with junk food. What a difference! My abs are in the best shape of my life. (My hubby is even jealous of my six-pack).:cool:

21. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 7, 2011

I second the routine that smalltowngirl (I think?) mentioned. Include weight lifting exercises -- it will increase your lean muscle mass, which will help you burn calories more ALL the time, in addition to making the cardio more effective. I have my routine down to under a half hour. I do as much large muscle group exercises as I can. Squats are amazing, if done right. (They suck to do, don't get me wrong, but they do a lot for your body.) Don't be afraid of the free weights -- they are your friend! Just make sure you find out how to do the exercises properly.

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

I walk with my weights as well. It definitely helps.

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

How long exactly is your workout?

24. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

And this is the problem. My diet is not that bad but its not good. I drink lots of water and do not drink soda, coffee, teas and I do not eat as much junk as I used too. My weakness is chips and around that time of the month I pig out on chocolate.

I eat a lot of fruit but not enough veggies.

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

Fruit actually has a lot of sugar in it. Adults need roughly 14 grams of sugar (if I am remembering correctly) a day, and you get that in like 1 apple. So, you have to be really careful with fruit. Berries have less sugar, and it is advised that fruit is used as a topping, or side, but never as a whole dish (like fruit salad...unless you just don't care about all that sugar that will turn into fat).

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2011

Try incorporating fresh veggies in your food. For example, many years ago I took out red meat from my diet. Tonight I made tacos for my family, but instead of eating meat, I sauteed mushrooms and sliced poblanos for myself (DH & DD had beef tacos). The lasagna I made the other night was a vegie lasagna, and super yummy. Another trick I do is instead of frying, cook things in water (but you have to flavor it). My veggies for the lasagna were cooked in water, with chicken boillan (sp?), garlic, salt and pepper. I do this for my stir-fries too, but I cook it in water, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger root. You have all the flavor, and non of the fatty oils.

27. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

I eat tons of fruit! I had no idea. I guess I will stick to apples and bananas. These seem to have the least sugar.

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 8, 2011

Bananas have the most sugar! Here's a website with a list of low vs. high sugar fruits. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm

I don't usually buy into the whole "low carb" thing, and I've lost plenty of weight (almost 50 pounds in six months) eating plenty of carbs, just counting calories and increasing exercise. Now that I'm to the toning phase, though, I need to look at whatever will get rid of belly fat, and people keep telling me low sugars. I'm trying to cut back, but my doctor really recommends that I get those whole grains, fruits, and veggies to combat my hypertension. It's hard to balance a healthy diet and low carb/sugar sometimes. I've started by only buying products with no sugar added.

29. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 8, 2011

Miss CeliaB-Yes I do not necessarily want to lose weight but I need to tone up and like you get rid of belly fat.

I will take a look at the link.

30. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 8, 2011

Depends on the day, but on my upper body days it is about 20 minutes -- I do bench presses (3 sets of 5 @ 60 pounds, sometimes flat, other times incline); dumbbell presses (3 sets of 7 @ 25 pounds each); lat pulldowns (3 sets of 7 @ 85 lbs); tricep exercise (lay flat on bench, bend the dumbbells toward head; hubby calls them skullcrushers; 2 sets of 8 @ 8lbs each for now); I also usually will do a set of 12 reverse sit ups and a set of 12 normal sit ups.

Lower body days take a little longer, but not more than half an hour: I have been doing front squats, with the bar in front of my neck, resting on my shoulders), 3 sets of 7 @ 60 pounds; reverse lunges (3 sets of 6 at 25 lbs), calf raises (2 sets of 10 @ 90 lbs), leg press (2 sets of 12 @ 85 lbs), hamstring curls (2 sets of 8 @ 80 lbs).

Every now and then I throw in some other exercises, just to vary things, but that is the basics. I start with 3 minutes on the eliptical to warm up; but save real cardio for the other days.
    (edited to add: weights 3x a week -- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Cardio the other days, about 20 min.)

This worked for me to build up lean muscle and I lost 30 lbs that way. I haven't been able to do it in a while, due to joint pain (not related to the working out; possible arthritis, which runs in family).

As for the accompanying food changes, I tried to keep low on the glycemic index, and definitely increased protein. When you are building lean muscle, you NEED more protein. Not from soy sources -- animal sources. This includes dairy; soy products are not as bio-available to your body (it is harder for your body to use them properly).

31. repete8

repete8 Companion

Jul 10, 2011

Jillian Michaels also has Ripped in 30 (like 30 day Shred) but has four levels.

32. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

Did not know she had Ripped in 30.