3 year old meet and greet

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Shiloh17, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Jun 14, 2014

What is something you do with you preschoolers on meet and greet day?

3. DiscoveringMe

DiscoveringMe Rookie

Jun 29, 2014

Following... :)
    I'm starting my second year of teaching preschool in September and would love ideas too! Last year I just had the kids pick out the animal that they want on their placemats, name tags, cubby, etc. They also decorated their placemats, which I later laminated. The room is open for children to explore, and I set out a simple art activity, such as paint daubers. I also ask each child what their interests are.

4. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jun 29, 2014

We have an open house at the beginning of the year, but usually less than half of the class comes, so I don't typically plan anything huge. The last 2 years, I've set up the classroom and let the children explore different materials and centers, I set out a coloring activity for the children and parents to do together, and I have a table with a display of some pictures from the previous years of our big activities (hatching chickens, butterflies, field days, etc..) and some parent info about what children learn from each center.

I saw cute idea on pinterest for a classroom scavenger hunt. Basically you make a checklist with simple things like a picture of the carpet for circle time, the bathroom, their cubby, etc... with a box next to it for the child to check (or bingo dot) when they find it with their parent.

5. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Jun 30, 2014

I have a welcome folder in each child’s cubby (that way I can tell who didn’t make it to open house).
    One side of the folder is labeled forms to be completed-it has things like: child information sheet (child’s name, birthday, all contact information, etc.), permission slips for photos, donor’s choose permission slip, pick-up plan (bus, daycare van, parent pick-up etc.), and volunteer sign up
    The other side of the folder is labeled for your information-it has the handbook, classroom information sheet, my contact information (business card and magnet), how to access the classroom website, typical daily schedule, book order information, and the sick child policy
    When the parents come in they get their folder and fill out the forms to be completed while their child draws a self-portrait and family portrait. I hang these on the bulletin board for the first day of school.
    When the forms are completed the parents turn them in and so do the kiddos.
    Then the kids take a scavenger hunt-find your cubby, your coat hook, the carpet for morning meeting, the book shelf, the bathroom (I have them find it and flush-this helps the nervous ones) the last items on the scavenger hunt are get your picture taken (I do a individual child-for labeling cubbies, hooks, and creating class books, and a family picture) and get a prize.