3 New Students Starting Monday ... UGH!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Oct 13, 2010.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Oct 13, 2010

Why does this irritate me so much? Probably b/c I've had a new student almost every week since school started. Seriously .... iRKS ME! I just spent an hour getting ready for two new students only to find out that I have 1 more starting too! Now i have to START OVER AGAIN! GRRRRR:mad::mad::mad::mad:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 13, 2010

WOW how many students do you have now? Are you losing any or just gaining? I have lost one and gained none.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

Are you the only kindergarten teacher?

5. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 13, 2010

I totally understand. Two weeks ago I got 2 new kids in four days. I wasn't upset about the first child becasue I had 1 less kid than the other 2 teachers, but then I got the next one two days later. It is such a pain trying to get them on the routine of everyone else. Luckily both girls are great and pretty smart too.

Since that time one of the other teachers lost a kid so she has 2 less than me and the other teacher has one less. I can sort of relax because I shouldn't get the next 3 move ins.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

WOW, that's crazy!

I'm so fortunate: in my 3 years of teaching, I have never gained or lost a student.

7. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 13, 2010

Welcome to my world...except for that I usually don't find out about the new student until I arrive at school and find her in my room! We have a split day, Judaic Studies in the morning, and General Studies in the afternoon, and I'm the General Studies teacher. So the morning teacher usually gets a few minutes warning, since she gets called out of the room to meet the parents.

8. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Oct 13, 2010

OMG! I have never had a year that I didn't get at least one new kid.
    My district is becoming very transient. We have kids come and go all the time. We dread the first of the month because that is when people tend to move and we get new kids. Of course we lose kids too, but they often turn back up later in the year. I learned a long time ago never to throw away their stuff because they will often return. What I hate the most is when I get new kids late in the year and they know nothing and there really isn't enough time to catch them up before first grade. i had a little girl last year that came to me in April that was on her 4th school. Her family kept getting evicted from their homes so she kept moving.

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 13, 2010

Your school sounds exactly like mine! What I suggest is to have a bag of goodies prepped for new students. I have a whole cabinet with everything a new student is going to need (work folder, pencil box with supplies, homework folder, workbooks, etc). That way when you get that nice surprise as they show up at your door unannounced, you are prepared, and it doesn't require any prep time. Because we all know they will show up with NO supplies too!

10. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 13, 2010

Some things we need in a K classroom, we can't provide, like a change of clothing. But for everything else, that's a great idea! Thanks!

11. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Oct 13, 2010

thanks for your responses, I guess I don't feel quite as abnormal. Except for I just found out instead of 3 more .... I'm getting 4 more! I just don't get it!

12. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 13, 2010

:hugs: woobie!! That's a lot of new kids to be getting at once...

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 13, 2010

We actually keep sweatpants, panties, and tshirts at school. Teachers bring in hand me downs from their own kids. They are in a cabinet. I also look at garage sales and thrift stores for items. That way I don't spend a lot and I won't care if they don't return to school.

14. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Oct 13, 2010

We do too, technically. But since there's not much extra storage space in the classroom, and we have some kids who still refuse to use the school restrooms, we sometimes end up without enough! In fact, there was one day last week that we were "lucky" enough to have so many accidents that one child actually went home wearing an oversized doll's underwear. I kid you not!

15. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Oct 14, 2010

I started the school year (last week of August) with 12 on my roster. I got my 21st student this week. We have 4 Kindergarten classes and we all have 21. Our ratio is 20:1 I feels like I have gotten at least 1 new student a week.

16. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Oct 15, 2010

I feel for you guys!! I had a girl start late this year, and one thing I did was I would ask "Who can tell 'Jane' how we sit on our carpet squares?" etc. and the kids loved that, and it made 'Jane' feel like she wanted to be part of those routines.

To me, losing kids is the worst. :(

17. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

I can see how this would be difficult. Afterall, you are creating the foundation for the rest of us. I applaud you :clap:. For middle school it's pretty much, come in, take a seat, jump right in. I do ask one of my trustworthy students to show the new kid the ropes.
    :)