3 months to go and the kids are kind of bored

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wyvern, Mar 5, 2014.

1. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Mar 5, 2014

We've done lots of dramatic plays: Stores, Doctors offices, grocery stores, bakeries, dress up, a castle, a pet store....
    Many kinds of blocks, put togethers and manipulatives. Fresh playdough and playdough toys. A beautiful science areas that gets rotatated. Lots of puzzles. A rich writing area. Music and movement, and instruments, scarves, dancing. Drawing, cutting, painting, salad spinners, take apart cars, legos, sand and water and finger paint and shaving cream.
    As well as more academic stuff. Books, stories, acting out stories, story extensions, alphabet and counting. Weights and scales.
    But they seem restless and want something new. I'm in a Head Start so it has to be "developmentally appropriate" and not product based. I'm open to new ideas to get kids jazzed. A field trip would be great but the program has so many restrictions on what we can do, there isn't much we can do, that we haven't already done. Any new ideas?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2014

Does your program allow for guests?

4. Lschorr2208

Lschorr2208 New Member

Mar 5, 2014

Are you allowed to leave your classroom throughout the day? My class has also been a little antsy so we have been leaving the room to mix things up. It's been so cold here that we haven't been able to go outside since Christmas so that makes things difficult! Do you have a gym you can use? We try and get to the gym twice a week.

Have you tried a Letter/Shape/Number walk? This is one of my kids favorite things to do. I give them all some post-it's and little pencils and they write all of the letters/numbers/shapes they can find on our walk.

Sounds like you have plenty of materials so that shouldn't be the issue. I think it's just that time of year, kids are ready for spring break, they're getting antsy and bored. We have also been having dance parties in the afternoon which really helps with some of that restless energy! Good luck.

5. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

Mar 6, 2014

I think you should divide your students in teams and give them some task. The task should contain some otherwise they will get bored. This activity will help them in focusing and you can use your previous activities in these tasks.

6. melnm

melnm Companion

Mar 6, 2014

Love this idea! Now that we are having some nicer days, I am going to get my classes outside and do this!

7. Lschorr2208

Lschorr2208 New Member

Mar 6, 2014

I wish we could go outside! I'm in Michigan and it's been so cold that we haven't been outside since Christmas! We take our letter walks around the school, stopping at the bulletin boards that are all around the school. I cannot wait for winter to be over!