3 interviews, when do I hit the panic button?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lotusblossom, Jun 15, 2007.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 15, 2007

I'm an amazing teacher but a horrible interviewee.

I just finished my student teaching, I was with the same class for an entire year and planned a unit (and taught it) from scratch, so I do not doubt my capabilities in the classroom.

I had 1 interview 2 wks ago (didn't get the job) and 2 this week (haven't heard back)...

I'm watching all of my colleagues get jobs one by one.

I know my resume is similar if not better than theirs, so I'm thinking I just don't come off well in interviews.

Practice has been helping, this 3rd one went waaay better than the others.

BUT when do I start panicking that I may not get a job this fall? :(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2007

Panic is counterproductive; don't go down that road.

Instead, send out MORE resumes. email a cover letter and resume to every principal within a 45 minute drive.

Don't forget private/religious schools either. Don't assume that you have to be a member of the religious community; apply and see what they say.

Post a copy of your cover letter. If your resume is really strong, it may be your cover letter that's the problem. They may not even be looking at that resume.

4. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 15, 2007

Hm, okay, I won't panic. But when do I start seriously considering that I may not have a job in the fall?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2007

What part of the country are you in? The job market varies widely. But even here, where it's brutal, there's still lots of time!

6. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 15, 2007

I'm in Colorado, which does not keep statistics on teachers and job searching, but I'm starting to feel is fairly brutal as well.

But it's nice to hear there's lots of time :)

7. itseemstome

itseemstome Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

I don't understand. Why is there still so much time? What is going to happen between now and the start of the school year to free up all of these positions?

I'm starting to feel the panic, as well. I've only been on one interview, plus I'm alt cert. I'm starting to think I should have just gone back to school for the whole thing - if only it was free!!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2007

Let's say 3 schools in an area face increasing enrollment and need to hire 4 teachers.

Then 4 teachers quit and open up their old jobs. So teachers take those, opening up 3 more jobs. Some teachers retire, opening up more jobs. ONe or two move, opening more. Some have already decided to leave and have signed contracts, but are afraid of losing their summer pay, so more jobs open....

9. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 15, 2007

well i officially didn't get the job i wanted (the one where the interview went well) ...

could it be my resume? :-(

10. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

I have not found anything yet but I remember last year looking and there is always that second batch of posting in August.

11. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 15, 2007

I too have been told there is a 2nd wave of hiring right before school starts. Then there may be another smaller batch of hiring about 2 months after school starts and enrollment numbers settle.

12. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 15, 2007

Ive only had 3. One I didnt get, the other is Tuesday, and the last is still waiting to hear from the Super to figue out final candites. There are hundred of positions posted and I've applied all over, even places I wouldnt want to teach (Like San Joaquin County)

I know my resume is good. I've shown it to several people, including people who work in HR. Teaching is just a tight market. I am cgetting contacted in AZ and Im considereing moving...trouble is...evin with recipricocity...my credential in CA is still being processed....

Hang tight...there are waves.. You may just end up in the last wave (last minute hiring)

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 15, 2007

I do believe I interviewed for 14 positions last summer before being offered a job.

14. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 15, 2007

Ugh, it's just I *know* that I am an excellent teacher. What do I have to do to just get an interview?! Crazy.

15. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 15, 2007

Yes, i KNOW how you feel... I feel the same way.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2007

Would you consider relocating to an area that needs teachers?

17. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

My advice would be to stop thinking it's you because more than likely it's not. As many people have said a lot of times you have to have a connection. And a lot of times, as crappy as it is, principals arent fair to people. I have been in the same boat as you where I knew I was a good teacher but didnt get offered a job. I was always wondering what could I do better or what is wrong with me? I finally realized..NOTHING! It's just a tough job market. Just make sure that you apply to every school district within good driving distance from you. Be persistent and show that you're interested. Don't just send in your application and sit around and wait to be called because chances are-they wont call unless you make the initiative to show them that you want the job badly. Good luck!

18. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 16, 2007

Oh, you're in colorado. . . .

You're probably interviewing for jobs that already have people in them.

Expect serious calls in July

19. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 16, 2007

Nope, can't relocate. I mean... I suppose I could, but we just moved here 4 years ago. Just bought a house. Husband loves his job. I mentor an 8 year old boy who is like family to me and I couldn't "ditch" him...

meatball, why the "oh, you're in colorado"?? do you know something i don't?? :)

20. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 16, 2007

I taught in Colorado

They like to hire new teachers in late july so that they're on temporary contracts as opposed to a year to year contract. That means that the teacher the next year has to reinterview for their position which means if you're interviewing for jobs before July there is probably someone else in the position already that will get the job and it's not really open. Wasting everyones time

21. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Jun 17, 2007

Ugh, that sounds about right :(

22. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2007

That's what my previous district did. I hated it! Every April/May I had to renew my resume, write a new cover letter, redo my application and interview all over again. A lot of time you won't get an interview because you're an unknown. Find someone to put in a good word for you.

btw I finally ditched that district and went to a small but growing district and was given a continuing contract. I subbed there --actually courted--the school I liked starting in January and was interviewed and given a position by June.

My former district had something like 67 postings for elementary teachers but I know that most of them weren't real postings because within days the amount of postings has dropped by half!

23. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 18, 2007

Wow, you had a lot of interviews! Good for you. I haven't had that many last year and this year combined. YOu must have been getting better and better with the practce.