3 interviews, one day, all over the state.....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wldywall, Sep 8, 2014.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2014

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

First I am TIRED!

So I had three in one day, one phone interview scheduled for tomorrow and one on the fifteenth. One was in lower mid Michigan, one in the thumb region, and one in the Detroit metro area.

District A: Interview was a brief 20 minute panel screener interview. They did a behavioral interview, which surprised me, considering the time constraints. They told me several times to keep my answers shorter, as they didn't have time for longer answers (but it was hard to do so with the types of scenarios they gave me. IThey also treated me as if I was blessed to be offered an interview with them. I thought it was for a full time Adult ed position, and in the end I was given two different answers about what the job actually is....first it was resource then it was a full time co-teaching position. At the end of the interview I was allowed to ask NO questions. Surprisingly, I have already been offered the 2nd interview.

District B: One on one interview with the principal, an hour long screener interview. Principal told me straight out he liked me and was likely to offer me the 2nd interview, and told me to expect a call either way tomorrow. He liked some of my answers and said I brought up ideas he hadn't thought of, but agreed, my way was best (ie like teaching a lesson geared toward the specific iep goals of my student to the entire class so the SPED student doesn't feel singled out and that quality techniques can be for the top student as well as the IEP student). This one ran over because he kept asking me for more of my ideas. I am pretty sure that will get the second interview, he even told me to keep Thurs open.

District C: They called late Friday to set this up and I called them this morning to say I would be in the area, they worked me in, changing their schedules to make it work. Even when I was an hour later than estimated (hint never try to get ANYWHERE in Detroit when it is shift change and there a Tigers AND Lions game), they made it work. This one is teaching in a elementary school and they are aware I have little experience in a classroom at that level (one on one tutoring I do). They loved my one on one experience, liked what I had to say.....and told me so. They asked me if I was sure I was wiling to relocate (told them I was already packed....lol) and how soon could I move, then asked me what I need Salary wise, which I have never been asked before. They are only doing one round and they will be making a decision in a day or two. The staff is wonderful, my sister who navigated for me needed to come in a cool down and they tried to bring her water, showed her the adult rest room, everyone greeted her. They were fantastic too me, I got a great vibe from the school. They told me to not worry about what I don't know about Elementary ed as the person who would be my mentor was in the interview and was prepared to provide all the support I would need to adjust to that grade level (2-4). I was given the impression

So here are my questions.......would you take the second interview with District A? I just felt such a bad vibe from them and I STILL dont' know if it is a part time or full time position.

And District C is in a rough area, and the traffic is HORRIBLE! TERRIBLE! TERRIFYING! But the staff is fantastic, the students great and the atmosphere is wonderful.

OH, one last thing, the interview I have in the UP requires a sample IEP, Parent response IEP, me to teach TWO lessons before the two interviews......if I get one of the others offered, would you still go to the interview that is five hours away???

Thanks....off to put up my sore feet.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2014

Yay for a productive day!

If A offers you an interview, ask if it is PT/FT before answering. I've done this before. I'd probably take it since you really need a job.

As far as the 5 hour away interview- that is tough. It I could swing it, I'd take it unless I already signed a contract and all of that.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Sep 9, 2014

I agree with not canceling anything until you have a signed contract. I would probably even go on an interview that you are not thrilled about because things can seem different in the actual interview as opposed to the screener.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 9, 2014

I think I would have gotten a bad vibe from A also...but then again maybe that's why they are still interviewing! People could be turning down job offers from them left and right! I guess I would go on a second interview but keep all other options open!

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2014

District A: offered me a second interview, but they called home while I was still out doing others, then told my son they would send me an email about it. Still waiting, I think I will call them back when I am done with this.

District B: Offered me the job today, loved the school, thinking about taking it. Just don't know where I would live.....therefore when I can start.

District C: Didn't get the second interview, only because they have a high Autistic population and the SPED director preferred someone with that cert instead of mine.

District D: I don't think I will cancel this interview, unless I know for sure I have a signed contract with District B

Normally I would shy away from Elementary, but the vibe from the school was just SOOOO good.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2014

You seem to like that job especially...could you call the school or district to ask them about possible housing? When do you have to give your answer?

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2014

After talking with my husband who reminded me that what I really wanted out of a job was a great working environment, and the rest will work itself out.

So I accepted the job and I am in the process of getting the paperwork done.

9. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Sep 9, 2014

Congrats wldywall - fingers crossed that all of the paperwork goes smoothly and it all works out perfect!

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2014

Yay!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2014

Hopefully all will go smoothly for you this time! Congrats!

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Sep 9, 2014

Very happy for you.

13. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Sep 9, 2014

Very very happy for you!!! As they say, everything happens for a reason!

14. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Sep 9, 2014

Yay! I've been following your saga and rooting for you! So happy that everything is working out for you!!

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 9, 2014

Here's to a drama-free contract signing!

[​IMG]

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 9, 2014

Woohoo!! Congrats. :)

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2014

Thanks guys, I have to be honest. I am not even excited yet, I am so sure something horrible will go wrong......but I have already filled out w-2's, direct deposit information, etc. I have to get finger prints (Livescan) done tomorrow (I was 30 seconds late to the office today and they said they wouldn't do them.....as it was past 4 pm....... :p )

I am working on a place to live and getting ready to move again, but until I have that paper that shows I am hired (Super said once that is in my hand I can start work the next school day) I refuse to believe it is real.

Btw: any advice for a new elementary SPED teacher?

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2014

Congrats, wldy!

19. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Sep 10, 2014

Amazing! Congrats!

20. RisingFromAshes

RisingFromAshes Rookie

Sep 11, 2014

I'm so happy for you! I've been really inspired by your bravery and commitment to applying and sticking it out both in and out of Michigan. I'm thrilled that your journey has such a happy ending. You definitely deserve it. Wishing you nothing but the best of luck this school year :).