3 canceled days in one week! now what?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LakeSophie, Aug 22, 2008.

1. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

We have had school canceled 3 days this week (the 1st week of school). 3 years teaching & this hasn't ever happened to me! I know that getting routines down is very important, but how do you do that when you are never there! :eek: We have school again on Monday & I'm wondering where I start on the routine/classroom management stuff. Truely, Monday is the 3rd day of school, but it is also the start of the 2nd week. UGH! :help::unsure:

3. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 22, 2008

Wow! I presume from the weather? I would start over again since it's 1st graders, to be honest. Maybe not completely, but a very thourough review. Good luck!

4. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Yeah, Tropical Storm Fay. We're lucky, we are inland (West side of Orlando), but it hasn't stopped raining since Tuesday Night. Some parts of the TV broadcasting area have had more than 10 inches of rain. Flooding is getting bad, etc. I understand why they are canceling school, but it doesn't make teaching any easier.

5. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I know how you feel LakeSophie! Our first day was Monday, then we had the rest of the week off! We go back Monday the 25th, so I'm just going to treat that like the first day of school again!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2008

I think I would review stuff, but kinda make it a game for them to see what they remember. I know when I taught first I didn't do a classroom rules. As a class we sat & talked about what we all thought were good rules for the class.

Good Luck. Last winter our district had 2-3 days off I think at least 2 weeks were like that. But different time of the year...not the beginning I know.

7. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Aug 22, 2008

You missed the 2004-05 year down here then. 3 hurricanes and many days off in the first few months. Play a game to see what they remember but treat it like the 1st or 2nd day of school.

8. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I missed it, but my mom (who has been teaching 30 years) didn't. I'll ask her advice on it too, but she's in Tampa & has only missed one day this week.

I like the game idea. I noticed yesterday (when we did have school) that many of them did remember most of the routines..

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2008

It's always a good idea to reteach the procedures after any break. We always reteach after anything longer than a typical weekend.

10. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

Watch out for the 'gators......... :D:D

Are those three days made up at the end of the year???

11. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I'm luckily at a private school that thought about hurricanes & added extra hours into the schedule. We used up the extra hours these past 3 days. So, no as long as we don't miss any more days.

and it's not the gators I'm worried about.. it's the snakes :)

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 22, 2008

When a hurricane came through here a few years ago, we were out of school for over TWO WEEKS!!! (There was no power, everything rotted, the stench was everywhere, it was awful.) Not only was it hot, sticky, boring, but then the mosquitoes went crazy and we were eaten alive.

Then, we got to add on to the end of the year (we already end in midJune.) We had to give up all of our holidays, teacher workdays, and still had to stay an extra 6 days to finish off the year. It was almost the end of June when we finished! It was dreadful. I can feel for you.

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

Gotta watch out for snakes ........ I have lots in inlaws living in Florida ..... They are concerned about snakes..... :)

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

I also have a close friend just north of Orlando.... They just chased a medium sized 'Gator out of her yard.....:D:D:D

15. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

Many Florida districts have extra days built into the year. I can't think of too many years where school hasn't been been canceled for a few days due to tropical weather, and I've lived here my whole life.

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

The news down here is saying that aligators and snakes are becoming a problem as the flooding is forcing the animals to higher ground.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

This is exactly what my friend said...... Sooooooo don't go wading in the flood waters in the street.........:p

18. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2008

In Colorado cancellation is normally caused by "snow" days... Have many of those in FL.....:D:D:D:lol:

19. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

My sr year of HS was marred by andrew. I went to a boarding school in NC, and I left for school two weeks after the storm (school didn't start till september), BUT, my friends down here were out for as long as two months, and even then, went back to less than ideal conditions.

I think our "normal" school year in my county is 8 days longer than required by law. I have to look it up to be sure, but I know we have a cushion.

20. Electron

Electron Rookie

Aug 22, 2008

Yowch, 3 is a bit much. One or two isn't too bad, but I feel your pain with three -- specially with first-graders! Not exactly as likely to remember things as high school students!