3-6 need help

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by ashley7, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ashley7

ashley7 New Member

Jan 5, 2010

I have a student in my class that is 3 1/2 years old and show no interest in any of the work she chooses and rushes into and out of the work just to say that she did some activity, when I try to sit with her and do one on one work and observations she says that she is unable to do anythings and just sits there waiting for it be transition time. Any advice on what to do to make the activities more appealing to her and what should I do to help her pace herself and really work with the materials.

3. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Jan 5, 2010

Talk to her parents. Try to find out what kinds of things she likes and try to incorporate that in to some of your activities.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2010

First of all, you have to sit back and observe her. Watch what she's doing in the space. If you try to "make" her choose something by offering her something to do, she won't be vested in the work.

You say she "sits there waiting for transition time", but what is she doing while she's sitting there? I've had children who observed a LOT and picked up a LOT, even though they weren't touching materials and were "just" observing. It's a very valid skill and essential for some children.

Is she disruptive when she's not choosing work? What part of the room do her eyes travel to? Watch her and watch what she's doing. Remember, Montessori said that the problem never lies within the child, it's always within the directress or the environment.