3 1/2 year old has no idea what is gross

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ashleyray, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Ashleyray

Ashleyray New Member

Apr 12, 2017

I have a little girl in my class who has done pretty much every gross thing you can think of. I am a teacher so things like boogers and snot, and spit and vomit are no big deal. I am also a preschool teacher so poo isn't that big of a shock either. But when a child is poking her finger behind her to taste it, sticking her head in the toilet, licking things off the table and floor, reaching "down there" and licking her fingers.. I have to admit I have been unable to hold my lunch back. Her parents don't seem to think its an issue. I am concerned she may have some developmental delays but nothing major. She seems to come from a family that doesn't seem to care about a lot of things that have to do with her and frankly I think they are just sick of her in general. I finally got the mother to agree to have her tested for speech. But I am not sure how to relay this message to the child that these things she is doing is gross and dirty. We try to explain it to her but we cannot hold her attention for more than a few seconds and everything goes in one ear and out the other.

Any suggestions on how to help her? Or how to help her parents realize this is a problem?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 12, 2017

Wow. Does your school have a psychologist or social worker on tap? Would she be able to be observed without being tested?

4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 12, 2017

This potentially sounds like signs of an abuse or neglect situation. I would contact CPS.

Backroads likes this.
  5. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 12, 2017

Agreed. Fixation on things like this is not a good sign.

6. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 12, 2017

I always talk to school psychologist and/or SpEd director about anything this out of the ordinary.

7. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Apr 12, 2017

Agreed with above, she probably needs to be observed by school psych. Are you taking data/doing interventions in other areas? How are her social skills? Any other sensory needs?

While you are waiting for an evaluation, I would start with a social story about appropriate things to touch. I would also give her a fidget necklace or bracelet just to keep her hands busy and out of unwanted places. Make sure you and other staff working with her and have consistent response when she does this (and aren't unintentionally reinforcing the behavior). Something like saying "stop" paired with the asl sign for stop and "hands down". You could even have a visual of hands by her side or maybe hands with an X over them to reinforce it. I would have her wash hands every single time she does something, without even talking to her, so as not to give it any extra attention. Just physically or verbally prompt her to the sink.