2nd to 4th...need direction...

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by mrs a, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Aug 27, 2010

My family has just moved to a new city, and a new school. I taught 2nd grade for 5 years. Now, I am in 4th grade Language, Spelling, and Social Studies.
    I kept 2nd graders attention like it was no one's business. I feel like 4th graders are harder to entertain!! I need ideas for interesting lesson ideas at this developmental age. I don't want to lecture and read to them. Can you share some of your best techniques or approaches with this age group?? Thanks;)

3. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Aug 27, 2010

Also, I am used to "really" teaching the basics of spelling. These kids had that. I'm really good at the basics, though. How do you "teach" spelling to these kids who know how to spell? Is it just more focused on root words and word parts?

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 27, 2010

I moved from second to fourth this year. For this first week, I taught exactly like I did my second graders.

5. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Aug 28, 2010

Haha! I did, too! I was reading directions slowly and carefully, and one of them said, "Uh, can we just do it?"

6. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 28, 2010

ms a, I feel your pain! I taught K for 13 years, 2nd for 3 days and now 4th for this past week. I was at a loss as what to expect and the other teachers said they just review until Labor Day. Review what? ABC's and 1,2,3's? Everyday is a new day and I will prevail!! I may be treading water but I refuse to sink!
    I was truly ready for nap time :lol:

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2010

I would make sure that they know their multiplation facts.

8. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Aug 29, 2010

Oh, I am teaching language, spelling, and Social Studies.

9. substitutesftw

substitutesftw Companion

Sep 1, 2010

Word parts/roots is a great idea!

I would also suggest workstations/centers for independent practice. Those give the most chances for making work "interesting" to students, in my opinion. Games, group activities, etc.

I also think reading material is important, especially because you teach language and social studies. If you could read or let them read really interesting stories, articles and books, I think that would really motivate them, too.

Give them a chance to DO something: create materials, teach the class, have a class debate, write a story, make a chart and graphic organizers, etc. :)

10. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Sep 2, 2010

For social studies, they can read independently/with a partner and complete a "cloze" worksheet or create a poster (doesn't need to be actual posterboard, I use construction paper for this). There are lots of fun games you could do, like a geography/50 states bee (like a spelling bee but the kids need to give the state capital or abbreviation).
    For vocabulary in reading, I always have my students do "sentence stretchers" where they write "meaningful sentences" by making sure that their sentence tells who/what/why/when/where. This helps with their writing skills and they really learn the words! I also do short "vocabulary" mini lessons in language where they learn about synonyms, homophones, etc.
    For spellling, I quickly show them the pattern/rule, practice with a worksheet and that's pretty much it.
    I do suffixes/prefixes/roots as a "word study" lesson a couple times a week--trying to be hands-on with highlighting, using whiteboards, matching up cards with word parts, etc.

Just a few ideas. If you need anything specific, post it and I will try to respond!

BTW, I've taught second grade and fourth and I much prefer fourth. I think it's a really fun age group and much easier (for me, at least!).

11. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Feb 1, 2011

stargirl...I posted this a while back, and I wanted to give an update. 4th Grade is great. I love this age group and their independence. I don't miss 2nd grade at all.
    Do you have anymore suggestions for Social Studies? I love teaching it, but need to spike the kids' interest more.
    This is my dilemma. We are departmentalized and meet with each group about 1 hr and 45 minutes (on our longest days). One teacher has reading/religion, the other has math/science. I have spelling/language/and Social Studies. Being that I have more, it is so hard to fit it all in. Any suggestions for spelling?

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2011

Social studies:

I have my students create different foldables and graphic organizers. Some great foldables: two or three tab book, layered book, pyramid...Some great graphic organizers: venn diagram, web, semantic feature analysis...

You could also have them create larger projects which the students love!

Spelling---I love the idea of working on prefixes and suffixes. I have my students roll dice to create words using prefixes and suffixes. They write the word under real or fake. I have had them play bowling with their words. I make a set of laminated bowling bins and then they write words on the back using dry erase markers. They call out a number and a partner reads them the word. If they spell it correctly, they get the pin knocked down. Sparkle is great!

You could have them complete an open word sort with their words, draw pictures for different spelling words, create puzzles with their words...

13. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Mar 27, 2011