2nd review from department head

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Feb 12, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

My class yesterday was pretty loud. She said she noticed improvement, but I still had to work on my classroom management skills. Which I agreed with.
    She said that the next two people that will observe me is the AP and the Principal....and pretty much told me that they need to be the best lessons of my life...
    I've really been trying...and I just need to keep stepping it up.
    I wanted her honest opinion on my chances...and she said that sometimes schools aren't good fits for people...but she wants to see me succeed...and if what she saw yesterday was the best I can do...then the school is not for me.
    I know she was just being honest...but I still want to cry.
    I think I might have to start sending out resumes :(
    She told me I was under a microscope right now...which I knew...but it sucks when your mentor is also the department head...and she has 2 roles to play.
    -sigh-

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

Just talked to the female AP again and told her my concerns about classroom management. I did what someone here suggested and printed out a PLU course syallbus on classroom management techniques. She thought it was a good idea...but told me some other ways I can be good at it.
    I told her that I want to continue to show improvement, so they see that I am a worthwhile investment here at school. She said that the PLU class I brought up showed her my commitment being better.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2009

st-have you taken a look at Power Teaching? This would help with classroom management, and get the class to participate more.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. We know how hard you are trying, and it is hard to know that but still not have anything to show for it. I wish you the best 2 lessons you've ever had for the AP and P. Knock their sox off!!!! Do you know when they will be observing you?

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

not really sure when...
    AP will probably give notice...but P won't...
    thanks, stg

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 12, 2009

Your welcome!

7. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Feb 12, 2009

I'm a little surprised to hear this -- someone who supervises/evaluates you should NOT be your mentor. At least, that is the way it is where I am.

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

I wish it wasn't the case either...

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 12, 2009

Sorry you are going through this!

I have to try to encourage you with what the supervisor said about teachers and schools and "fitting." There is a wonderful school in my town where I love all the people and share the values of the school. But I would never fit in there! I am at a school where my philosophy of education fits almost perfectly, though I do not share the values of the school. It is a better fit for me. I know I would be miserable at the other place.

Let me encourage you - just do your best. I can't believe with all the effort you are making that you aren't doing great! If I remember correctly, you have a difficult group of kids also. It is true that you might be happier at a different school. Though it might be painful to think about and go through, in the end you could end up much happier! So yes, you should start sending out resumes.

It could be there is a door opening for you somewhere else if this door is closing. Don't don't don't blame yourself or think you are not a good teacher. Cover all your bases, do your best, and believe in yourself! If I did half the things you have talked about I would be the best teacher in this school!

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

This is my dream school...it's not perfect...but I feel at home. I just don't want to give up...but...if I don't have a chance...I need to let go.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 12, 2009

What are some of the things you do for classroom management? Maybe we could help you? And what grade do you teach again? I think it is high school, which is a hard time:)

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

I teach 9th-12th grade in 2 different subjects....biology and anatomy.
    I make seating charts for each class...then change them up once I know if I placed them next to their friends.
    I call/email parents...talk to students...give teacher detentions....never had a bad behavior case to warrant admin detention.
    We are taught to work from 'bell to bell'...which I have been doing...but sometimes during transitions (from notes to activity)....it can throw me off with organization.
    I don't have a set classroom...so I share with many other teachers...in 2 different rooms. I carry all of my things for the day...and sometimes forget something...or didn't print enough off...stupid things.
    I just don't know how to show them I will have improved enough in a month and 1/2 to keep me...

13. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Feb 12, 2009

Wow! All of that is totally normal. I also teach Science and my kids never go from notes to activity quietly. I forget things a lot and I am in my room all day!

I don't think I would last a minute in your school:) they sound really tough

14. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

they are a private catholic school...very high standards

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 12, 2009

Bingo. That is the deal.

Having to go from classroom to classroom is very stressful!

16. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Feb 12, 2009

Are they just telling you that you need to improve or are they offering help and support?

17. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 12, 2009

Both. They encourage me to ask for help..and I have/am...it's just not good enough. I really need to shine the rest of the time I have.