2nd Job

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 18, 2008

So out of habit, I got on Craigslist to see what the education job listings looked like. I found a posting for a princess birthday party job. So I shot them my resume. I was hired this week. I will now be a pretty in pink princess that brings joy and happiness to little girls all over my county-it pays excellent ($75/1.5 hours) and sounds like a blast. My first 'training' is this Sunday-I have to practice glitter facepainting on my husband all next week, while making 100 balloon animals a night and attempting magic shows (maybe I can use my pet bunny....).

Anyone else have fun 2nd jobs? I figure this will get us some new furniture!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2008

It sounds exciting, and something my BFF would totally do (her dream has always been to play Snow White in DisneyWorld!)

I'm sure hubby will LOVE having his face glitter painted!!!

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 18, 2008

I tutor a couple of kids... but uh, that's nothing like being a pretty, pretty, princess.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 18, 2008

I totally didn't have you pictured as the "princess" type. It sounds like it's going to be fun. I hope your hubby came standard with "good sense of humor".

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 18, 2008

Oh, and my second job is in student services at a major local college. Not nearly as interesting as yours.

7. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Sep 19, 2008

They have those jobs here, too, and though I've always thought it would be fun, I've never applied. I hope it's as fun as it seems it would be. Should we now call you Princess? ;)

Do you get to choose which parties you accept to kind of make your own schedule, or do you have to work whatever they assign you? Would you feel awkward if one of your students had a princess party??

8. andi137

andi137 Companion

Sep 19, 2008

Wow that sounds like such fun!! I have thought about getting a second job. I am going to have to check and see if there are any jobs like that around here!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2008

I do lots of freelance writing.

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 19, 2008

Jem, that sounds fun. You will be great.
    In the spring I grade writing and math tests for Pearson. I do it at home at nights and weekends. Pretty easy.

11. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Sep 19, 2008

That sounds awesome!!! Although....I don't think I'd want to be a princess.......I'd like to be a....monkey or something strange LOL :) Have fun!!

12. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Sep 19, 2008

Side note.....why the HECK was that listed under education???? LOL

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2008

That sounds like a cool second job!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2008

Maybe because they're looking for traits that teachers commonly have: you have to like kids and be able to control them a bit.

15. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 19, 2008

I work at a car dealership answering phones. It's boring as hell...but I get school work done. I also work with my bf...which isn't always a good thing.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2008

Wow!! Jem, that sounds so fun!!!!!!!! I want to look on craigslist and see if we have something fun like that. :) I would love to play a princess. :D

I don't have a second job, but I am taking classes at night, which feels like a whole other job!!! I'd rather be a princess. :)

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2008

Ooh- that sounds like fun torture for your hubby!! Hee-hee!

I don't have an interesting 2nd job, but I have a great job for other reasons. I am a receptionist at a car dealership. I answer the phones and receipt down payments. That is it. Literally! So, I can bring school work to plan and grade. I don't do a single thing at home EVER!!! And, some days, I will sit and chit chat during planning and SAVE things for work that night!!!
    And, one of my salesmen love reading their papers and grading! How cool is that?! (I am tempted to ask him to marry me based on his willingness to help grade papers, LOL)

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2008

I do the same thing. However, minus the working with a boyfriend (Have been there in the past though).
    We have to sign a contract thing stating we will be terminated immediately if we have a "personal and/or sexual relationship" (direct quote) with another employee! Apparently, there were some things happening in the back of a few cars a few years ago :lol:

19. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Sep 19, 2008

My second job is math remediation after school for 1 hour, 2 days a week at $32 an hour. I have 4-5 kids in my group. I think it's an easy $32.

I would like to work at Macy's for the discount. But I don't have time.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 19, 2008

Sorry-I was thinking I did post it in the wrong place.... after I posted it.

But being a princess with kids is perfect for teachers if they want a second job. Well, female teachers.

21. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Sep 19, 2008

Princess Jem----I can picture it perfectly! I would love to have your energy. I want to see a pic though!

I don't think they were talking about you posting it here! i think they were asking why was it listed in Craigslist under "Education"

22. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2008

I just got a call offering me a job as interpreter at the local college. I'm going for my pro-cert this year and I was chosen to be a Powerful Teaching and Learning coach so I had to beg out. I just don't have the time. Plus three kids and busy extra curricular schedules......

It would've been fun as I think I know who the student is.....I think.

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 19, 2008

Oooooh-maybe because the owner was trying to attract people who liked children?

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 19, 2008

:spitwater::spitwater::spitwater:

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. Thank you :)

25. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Sep 20, 2008

that sounds like a great job!!

26. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2008

LOL! I taught for our after-school program last year (3 hours a day, 3 days a week at 25 an hour). I have thought about trying to find a second job, but I just don't know where I would want to work. My husband is a college student, so we could really use the money.

27. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 20, 2008

I'm trying to find something as well to help pay my bills but haven't found anything that I can do around here that isn't another full time job.

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 20, 2008

Jem, can you imagine telling your students what your second job is? LMBO!

29. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2008

You are welcome ;)

30. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 20, 2008

I'm at my 2nd job at car dealership now...when I walked in my boyfriend (internet sales manager) was helping one of my students and her parents...WEIRD!!! lol

31. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 20, 2008

My second job DOES have certain advantages...like getting away with somewhat less than "normal" classroom routines because I teach (used to anyway, now it's student services/research) at a college :D

32. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 20, 2008

Haha, that job sounds like it's right up your alley! :) I've seen jobs like that as well on Craigslist, sounds like fun but I totally don't have the personality for that! Have fun with it Jem! :)

33. Electron

Electron Rookie

Sep 21, 2008

Maybe I should go for that, Jem? Might have to shave my legs and raise my voice an octave or two, though :D

electron - giving kids at birthday parties nightmares, or your money back :D

(oh, and I haven't got a second job... I value my time too much!)

34. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Sep 21, 2008

I'm a server in addition to full time school and all of my methods/student teaching. I hate my "real" job. I hate the restaurant industry in general. I'd much rather play a princess! :) Oh, and I have three kids, and as far as I'm concerned, that's an entire full-time job in itself! (Although my husband is AMAZING, and is folding laundry as I type this :wub: )

35. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 22, 2008

I value my time as well...but I've got a kid with olympic dreams...and the talent and the drive to make a real go of it. Somebody's got to pay for it.

36. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 22, 2008

Tonight I became an amazing balloon animal artist. Who knew? I can also face-paint with the best of them, and I have wicked magic show to present to my class on Friday after I practice. I tried on all my dresses, and they are beautiful. And I made $35 in the process. Although it's now 10pm and I'm just now typing up lesson plans... But that's my own fault. I didn't realize we would be out so late today.

37. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 22, 2008

Does your dh still have his sense of humor about him????

Glad you had a good time.

38. nwteachinlv

nwteachinlv New Member

Sep 22, 2008

My second job is with Tommy Hilfiger. Can't beat the 50% discount.:D

39. coffeeteacher

coffeeteacher Rookie

Sep 22, 2008

I work as a writing tutor at a university two days a week. I also tutor elementary students in reading and math.

40. megk

megk Rookie

Sep 22, 2008

That sounds great! You must have a very understanding husband for him to allow you to paint his face with glitter as practice. I doubt my husband would be so cooperative.