2nd Job while teaching - is it hurting me?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeacher23, Jan 20, 2013.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jan 20, 2013

Hi all.. I have been in a tough situation the past couple months and I wanted another opinion. I know this is very long but if some of you could read this and offer some advice it would be very helpful! During the last school year (2011-2012), I worked a full time job with a decent salary and benefits that was completely outside the education field while I was looking for a teaching job. Since I couldn't afford to support myself subbing, I had to do this. This job was a work from home job overnight (10pm-6am) in an office setting, so it wasn't too bad because I was able to apply for jobs while at work.

This school year, I was offered a part time certified position in an NJ district. I have had 2 formal observations and they were great and my district seems to really like me. Since it is only half days, the pay is a lot lower than a full time job and no benefits. For the past couple months, I have maintained my full time job AND my teaching job. So I have been working 10pm-6am, then going to school for a few hours, and sleeping for about 7 hours after school during the day when I got home. It has been very tiring but I have done it up until now. Lately, besides the fact that it has been draining me out, I feel like I need to leave my night job because I don't want it to get in the way of my teaching job. I am hoping this part time job in the district leads to a full time job next year if there are openings. This district is very good about giving subs/aides/LTS full time jobs in the district. There are a few part time teachers in the district and the district has told us that this could be our "foot in the door" for a full time job next year. Only thing is, if they only have 1 or 2 full time jobs next year, they will have to choose from the part time/LTS employees for full time next year and I want to be one of them.

So far, maintaining both jobs hasn't been too much of an issue. I have had to do this to maintain my health insurance at my night job, and to financially pay my bills since my teaching salary is so low due to the part time hours. There have been some days where we have had full day in service or where they have needed me to do training/professional development after school and I have always taken off from my night time job for this. But lately, they have been asking me to cover classes/sub in the afternoons because we are SO short on subs. I have usually had to say no because it won't allow me to sleep in the afternoons to prepare for my night time job. Getting a part time afterschool job instead of the overnight job won't solve this because I won't be available for subbing. Do you think saying no to subbing is hurting my chances of getting hired full time in the district next year? Another big factor right now is my fiance, who I live with, just got offered a much better job that he starts on Monday. With this job, I could financially afford to leave my night job, which I am REALLY thinking of doing. I am really leaning towards doing this, but I am again worried about money because his job is a temp to hire position that he got through a staffing agency (meaning that he has the job for 90 days and they may or may not renew him after the 90 day period). If he were to not have this job after 90 days, we would be in a bigger financial bind. There is also a possibility that I could have no income at all after June if my district does not renew me. But I want to do whatever it takes to get a full time job in my district next year, even if I have to take a big risk financially.

Would you risk things and quit the non-teaching full time job or do you think not being available for subbing is not that big of a deal? I am REALLY thinking of giving in my 2 weeks notice at my night job this week, but wanted a few opinions. Thanks!!

3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jan 20, 2013

Keep your night job that you badly need. If your school wants you there in the afternoons, then they should give you a full-time job. Don't lose your pay and benefits for this.

To get that full-time job, shine while you are there. Not being available to sub should have no bearing on your getting a full-time position.

4. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jan 20, 2013

I would keep your night job as long as it's not affecting your teaching. If your fiance's job becomes permanent and you could get benefits from that, then quit the night job.

I wouldn't think not subbing would hurt you because you're doing well at the job you were hired for, but with this economy, schools like people that are willing to take on extra duties/responsibilities. Is there someone at your school (maybe even your P?) that you could ask about it? They might be able to give you an idea of if it's affecting your chances.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 20, 2013

I would think about going to the principal and asking if there is a possibility of becoming a permanent building sub in the afternoons. Explain your second job and the need for additional income. Make a list of other responsibilities you could take over on the off chance that there were no subs - tutor small groups, do RtI progress monitoring, office work, etc... Whatever needs you can fill at your school.

6. cbits

cbits Rookie

Jan 20, 2013

You can NOT afford to give up health insurance. If something were to happen when you were "between" coverage, you could be ruined, with no way to get back on your feet for months or years. So, until you are married and covered by your spouse's insurance, or have a full time permanent job that provide benefits, you have no choice. DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE!!!!

7. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jan 20, 2013

I would definitely keep the night job for the extra pay and the benefits until a permanent teaching job turns up.

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jan 20, 2013

Thanks for all the advice. I am still going to think about it, but I think maybe talking to the Principal may help. I have not told my school about my other job because I didn't know if they would be mad about it or think I am not 100% committed to my teaching job. Maybe they can offer me something more permanent with subbing or if not, at least understand why I am not able to do it. Sorry but I did forget to mention - if I left my night job I still would have health insurance. In NJ, you can be covered by your parents health insurance until you are 31. I'm only 25, so I would go on their plan until I get married/get a full time teaching position. But again, thanks for the advice and I am going to think about it a little more.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2013

The 'until 31' coverage isn't automatic:
    When a young adult ages-out of a group health plan after his or her 26th birthday, he or she will have the option to remain with the group’s coverage for an additional period of time by making a continuation election pursuant to: *(1) COBRA, (2) New Jersey’s Small Group Continuation (NJSGC) law, or (3) the New Jersey Dependent Under 31 law (DU31).* A young adult who ages out of a parent’s individual health benefits plan doesn’t have these continuation rights.

10. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jan 20, 2013

Thanks. We have made a few calls and it appears I can get on their health insurance right now. I also make opt to buy health insurance from my company that I work from now after I leave, since I have the option to do that as well I believe for 18 months after I leave the company. There are a couple different options that my parents and I have looked into as far as health insurance for me. When I first graduated college, I was uninsured, and was able to buy a policy. Right now not having health insurance isn't an issue since I have several options. I absolutely will not go uncovered and if this ever was an issue, I would not leave my night job. My main concern at this point is the finances of leaving my night job. My fiance and I will both be completely fine for now, but we could run into an issue if I was non-renewed or he were to not get a permanent job after his 90day period.

But all in all my biggest concern and reason for writing this post was because i just wanted to see what you all thought about is if my lack of subbing availability would be an issue. That is something I've constantly been worrying about but maybe I am worrying too much. I'm going to talk to my principal this week and see what she says. If she is fine with it and doesn't see it as an issue, I'll most likely stick with it until my fiancé has a more permanent job! Thansks for the help! :)