2nd Interview....must present lesson!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Kteacher1, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Kteacher1

Kteacher1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Hi,
    This will (hopefully) be my first year teaching. I made it through the first round of interviews and now I have to design a lesson plan and present it to a group of administrators! The grade level is kindergarten or first grade. I am very nervous since this is my first time. If anyone can offer any advice, I would be extremely thankful!:) :thanks:

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 11, 2007

Make your lesson interactive or hands on...I did this during an interview for a LTS position (which I later didn't get) but...my supervising teacher from my student teaching just happened to be on the interview panel and told me they loved it! It shows that your want the students to be interactive in their learning :) Hope this helps and good luck to you! Keep us posted :) :)

4. Kteacher1

Kteacher1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Thank you! I am so excited and at the same time I have a tummy full of butterflies. My interview is Sat. at 10 am. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 11, 2007

Make sure you get the "kids" up and moving. I had to do a demo lesson and they mentioned they really wanted to see that. Were you given any guidelines as to what they want you to do (subject, length of lesson, topic)?

6. Kteacher1

Kteacher1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

I had planned to get them moving to grab their attention :) I was given absolutely no guidelines except for the time (5-10 minutes)--no grade level, no topic. At the first interview I was asked what grade I preferred and I said kindergarten or first. I'm planning on keeping the lesson at that level, and I'm trying to decide between science or math (leaning towards science).

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

Can you make or get individual dry erase boards? This way students can hold up their answers and you can see at a glance who gets it and who doesn't.
    Also, red light/green light paddle signs can be used for yes/no answers.
    Whatever you decide, make sure it requires each chid to be actively engaged. They will not want to see any child off task! Kids love their own signs or boards.

8. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

I had my first interview on Mon. hopefully if I get "the call" I have to go back in and do exactly the same thing. It's a 15 min. lesson to administrators--not kids!! They told me they (super. & principals) have to make a fool out of themselves and we all laughed :D because it's true! They told me it will be a lesson on reading or math. I would suggest sticking to one of them--especially for a K or 1 grade lesson. I looked at their website and I know they use guided reading. I know they focus a lot on phonics. Find out as much as you can about the curriculum. Also, make sure your lesson has a purpose-does it align with your state standards/schools objectives for 1st/K? Good luck to you. Let me know how it goes...I might need the advice. I hope :)

9. rookieABC123

rookieABC123 Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Oh yeah...I definitely agree with everyone else...keep them actively engaged....it's a must at this age. Be very enthusiastic!

10. Kteacher1

Kteacher1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

The meeting IS with principal, super, etc. Thank you Zoe! I had never considered wipey boards and think that is an excellent idea! So, math might be better?
    Rookie, I'm happy to provide any advice I can....once I make it through Sat.!:eek:

11. Lindsey241

Lindsey241 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Lteacher1 and rookieABC123 - Good luck!
    I don't know what I would have done if I was asked to do a demo lesson. I heard about some districts using them as part of the hiring process, but luckily I was never asked to do one. I would have been a bundle of nerves. I am so curious to know what goes on , and if the administrators interact and get involved in the lesson.
    Again, good luck!

12. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

At the one I did...the school psychologist, 2 teachers, and Principal acted like they were 5th graders...they even asked questions that 5th graders would ask. I've heard that the psychologist even acts like a realllllly bad kid once in a while!!! This was all part of our first interview too! GOOD LUCK!!!!

13. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Here in NY that is usually the 2nd step in the hiring process. It's very nerve wracking. That's usually the parts that breaks me. I get too worried about the content of the lesson and to make sure the kids understand what I'm teaching rather than classroom management- BIG MISTAKE!
    Make sure if "kids" aren't paying attention, you stop and refocus them. Make it something simple and definitely hands-on. It is kind of difficult to present a lesson in only 5-10 mintues. Maybe start on the carpet with a really short story or picture book, then have them go back to their seats and work with a partner on a simple writing activity or something along those lines.
    Good Luck

14. WindyCityGal606

Jul 12, 2007

I do think math would be engaging, especially with dry erase boards and plenty of markers and erasers. Do you have to write up a formal lesson plan as well? Can you find out what their template looks like? Does it have to be a long version we were taught in college or the short version teachers use? On one such interview, I used the district lesson plan template to write up my lesson plan and gave a copy to each of the people in attendance so they could follow along and also so they could see I knew what I was doing.

15. Kteacher1

Kteacher1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

Finished with 2nd interview

I did the 2nd interview today. It was...well, OK. That's the only way to describe it. The principal and director sat and stared while I presented the lesson. It was supposed to be a hands-on lesson and I tried getting them involved. They FINALLY gave a few sarcastic(wrong) answers so I could re-direct them. I felt like they didn't 100% know what they were doing actually. Kind of odd in a way. After it was finished, they asked more questions about classroom management, teamwork with other teachers, my flexibility, etc. Then at the end, they asked if I would mind working without an aide (the job is for kindergarten). I am going to post my feelings about this on the kindergarten forum. They also said I would hear something by next week. I just wanted to let everyone know how it went. :)
    Oh, and I did write up a long formal lesson plan. They did not give me any indication of what they were expecting, but better to be safe than sorry!

16. WindyCityGal606

Jul 14, 2007

It is OVER!! YAY!!
    I'll admit that it is strange they would just sit and stare since it is our nature to enage students in the lesson. If you present a lesson, obviouly they are the "students" for the moment. Silly them.
    Maybe former candidates have just lectured...?? For Kinder? Anyhoo...I'll bet you did great!!!
    Good luck and keep us posted!

17. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I give you a lot of credit, it's hard enough having to do a demo lesson with regular students. I couldn't imagine teaching a lesson to a group of administrators pretending to be students. It makes it kind of awkward and a lot harder for your natural teaching ability to come out. Well I bet your happy it's over, and I'm sure you did great. Let us know when you hear back!

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 14, 2007

OH MY GOSH, I had something totally similar happen when I presented a lesson, too! They just SAT THERE and stared at me! How weird is that? I personally think it's really rude. As administrators they have to know how nerve-wracking it is to present to people who aren't kids, who are critiquing you, and they don't even play along. Weird. Did you like them otherwise?

19. Kteacher1

Kteacher1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

I'm not sure about how I felt about them. I felt really positive after the first interview, but this was different. It was my first demo lesson and I expected a little participation. It was kind of like talking to myself- although they were reading over the lesson plans I provided.

20. WindyCityGal606

Jul 14, 2007

When did they say they would be in touch?

21. Kteacher1

Kteacher1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

They said I would hear something next week. I'll be sure to let everyone know one way or another as soon as I find out. :)