2nd Interview for the Summer! - We shall see!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Teacher Gii, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 29, 2013

So..I am psyched to have an interview for this Thursday, 8/1!! The only thing is is that I am not toooooo familiar with this school's elementary program. It is a school in my district but it is an alternative school mainly for older students that have had disciplinary issues in "regular" schools, have returned from a corrections program, or other alternative environment. I have looked all over the school's page and the district page to research the elementary side of this academy, but couldn't find a single thing, so this may be a minor setback, but I will be sure to ask questions..This is actually one of the P's that I DID NOT email, so I am relieved that my application and info is still in this district's system because I was beginning to wonder.

Another thing is...I am expecting a baby any day now lol...baby will come when he comes but any time this week he will definitely be early..I hope that I will even be able to go to the interview :lol: If I do, I plan on being upfront (even though it may hinder my chances) that I most likely will not be able to begin right away. If nothing else, I am trying to look at this as more interview practice. Thoughts?

3. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Jul 29, 2013

This sounds pretty heavy for an elementary school. I teach this population at a high school. The kids generally have a very difficult time focusing. You can also expect to get cursed out a bit more than you would in a traditional school, but only by a small percentage of the students. You'll need to develop some strategies for dealing with these types of behavioral problems and a structure that takes into account these students' problems staying focused.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2013

Linguist has some experience with a similar, but older, population. Maybe she'll stop by or you could pm her. I'm sure she could offer some good advice. good luck to you!

5. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 30, 2013

If you think you would enjoy working with that population, it's worth a shot, right? I agree with talking to some folks who've done similar work before. As for the pregnancy, if the interview is before the baby, you'll probably not need to let them know that you can't start right away LOL...I don't know how that would come up..I guess they could ask you when you'd be able to start. Legally, of course they cannot use it as an excuse to hire you. I wish you the best of luck with your new baby and your search!

6. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 30, 2013

I'm not sure if this population of students would be ideal for my first year of teaching. I know ALL kids/young adults need to be taught and should have someone that cares about their success. I just don't know if at this point, it is a good idea for me.

I have no idea if I will even be able to make the interview. I went to the doctor today and I am 1 cm dilated. Granted, I know a baby isn't going to come right out and could still be days away. I may call the school tomorrow.

7. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I thought I would go ahead and update..I guess the universe has a funny way of working things out. I got a call from the alternative academy today (I missed the call but they left a message) and the secretary said the interview has been canceled and the hiring for the position at the school has been placed "on hold" at this time. I'm like..hmmm..okay..? Not really sure what to think because this has never really happened to me before.

8. DKM

DKM Rookie

Jul 31, 2013

Did they know anything about your pregnancy?

9. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 31, 2013

No. Not at all. I called the secretary back just to confirm, but I could hardly understand her because she wasn't very articulate..but I think she said something about the current principal either being transferred or something changed and he can't hire any one at this time.