2nd interview and got offered the job.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by andstuff, Jul 17, 2014.

1. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Jul 17, 2014

I interviewed at a middle school 3.5 hours away from where I own a home. It is my 2nd teaching interview since graduating in May and they called and offered my a position today. This may seem strange considering the job market for teachers, but i turned it down.

The interview went well enough, I just got the vibe that I wouldn't fit in with the staff. Normally after i research school and after my other interview, i can't wait to start teaching and get so excited. This time I never got that feeling, and I knew as the interview ended I probably wouldn't except it if offered.

Interview was decent, I got some good feedback that will help me next time. The P was kind of off putting and that may have been the tipping point for me not wanting the job. Phone kept rining, he appologized put it on vibrate and set it on the table. Then would pick it up and see who was calling after it would vibrate. The interview lasted 2 hours, and the last hour was him telling me how awesome he was. 1 hour of hearing his philosphies and I couldn't get a word in anywhere.

It felt strange to turn down the position, because all I want to do is teach. But, I know I don't want to have uproot my family and have my daughter switch school/ sell my house for a school i am not excited about.

Anyone else ever turn a teaching job down and did you regret it later?

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 17, 2014

I've turned down teaching jobs before. No regrets. Remember that you are interviewing them as well.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2014

I regret taking a job. I ended up quitting after 6 weeks. So kudos to you for listening to your gut!

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2014

I turned down a job mostly due to the commute ... Also I wasn't crazy about the school. I'm so glad I did because a month later I found the perfect fit.

6. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 18, 2014

I turned down a second round interview on a job that I likely could have landed because I found out the job was in a bad neighborhood. It feels weird, but I know I made the right decision for myself and my family. You have to go with your gut- it likely would not have been worth the move.

Something better will come along! :)

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 18, 2014

I accepted my first teaching position because I was worried I might not find a job elsewhere. It was a VERY difficult school and I ended up only staying there one year. Follow your gut. If you are ok with not finding a job, it might be better for you!

8. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

I turned down my first offer because I couldn't see myself being happy living in that area, especially my first year teaching. I was really worried I had left myself without a job this school year but a few weeks later I was offered an amazing position in a community I can't wait to join. I'm still working out housing so who knows how the school year will go but I have high hopes.

9. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

Unless you really need the money, if you're able to hold it off, that's good. Because imagine that you don't interact well with the staff and some problems might even occur. A good few schools I felt that way. I didn't get the job, but even if I did, I probably would reject the offer.

Man, this one interview, a TEACHER who was on an interviewing team kept intimidating me with questions while interrupting me during a demo lesson. And then after it was over, the P asked "did you get your lesson from the internet?" Yea. If the team was like that during the interview, then the team will be like that on the job. One job I had (not teaching, at an office), the boss not only was late/tardy for my interview, but he seemed intimidating and self-righteous. I took the job because I needed it, but as I said…just like the interview, he was an ass and would take his anger out on me all the time. Worst two years of my life. Ended up getting fired too. Luckily this wasn't in my profession, it was only a job to get by. Don't do that in your profession. Sorry for getting off-topic, but you get the idea!!!!

I gladly accepted my job because I was able to have a conversation with the staff and not a typical intimidating interview :)

Good luck!

10. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

I'm surprised by the number of people I know who have turned down jobs. First of all, I have only ever been on one job interview where I knew I wouldn't want to work there, so I understand how you feel. However, I still would have accepted, because I just wanted to get a start on my career. I never would have imagined that people turned down teaching jobs, considering some of us had to go on like 8 interviews before we landed that first job right out of college. Just hope you don't end up looking for your first teaching job 4 years later, but that's none of my business. :whistle:

11. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 18, 2014

Yes, a few months ago I interviewed at a charter like 20 minutes away. The principal was sweet as could be, very classy and cultured - she loves going on Broadway trips too! But the school was like so ghetto.

Ok, there was a fight while I was interviewing. One of the girls rushed into the principal's office without even knocking and was crying hysterically. Some lady tried to get her to leave, but she kept screaming like no! no! It was crazy. Students were in the halls even after the bell rang. Some of them looked like gang members.

They called a little while later. I ignored the call and just wrote them an e-mail basically saying no thanks.

12. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

I never turned down an actual job, But when I first started subbing, I worked a day at a new charter school in my area. This school was looking to hire teachers for the next school year and told me that if I subbed there during the year, I was basically guaranteed a position. Well, after my very first day subbing there, I went home (practically in tears) and emailed them to immediately take me off their sub list. The school was just THAT horrendous from the administration, the staff, and the students.
    Despite the fact that I know subbing there could have led me to getting a job 3 years ago, it was not worth it. Sometimes, you just know when something is not going to be a good fit and you have to know when to walk away.

13. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

I had an issue with a school once (public, not charter), when I only worked one day and went home in tears. I didn't have to tell them to take me off the sub list, the P told me she doesn't want me working at her school anymore. GOOD. You don't know how to MANAGE your school.

And it was right near where I used to live. Oh well lol

And another time, a school I interviewed at last summer emailed me in the middle of the year giving me a job offer. You know one of those days you don't check your email? Yea. I found that email and gave the school a call. Their response: "Yea we found someone else, you really need to check your email." I guess it was for the best, because not only should they have called me and gave me THAT response, but the P was just…strange. I heard she was difficult to work with from others anyway.

14. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jul 19, 2014

I have turned down a position because it took too long for them to respond. I happened to see a parent from the school in the grocery store who asked me what ever happened to me possibly teaching at the school. I told her that I had never heard back from the school. Tell me why, the next day, I got a call offering me the position. Needless to say, I turned it down. I also didn't really like the energy of the school and the admin. But I was also employed at the time, so it wasn't that dire.