2nd Interview: 50 Minute Lesson!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kstar03, Mar 31, 2010.

1. kstar03

kstar03 Companion

Mar 31, 2010

Hi everyone,

I got a 2nd interview at an awesome suburban district (high scores, kids who actually want to be in school, etc). I have to teach a full period (50 minute) lesson in a 7th grade classroom. I have a few ideas but don't know what to go with:

Idea 1: Using TYPCASTT method to analyze a poem (more teacher-centered because I'll be teaching the method and we'll be going through a poem together but they will work in pairs and participate throughout lesson and also learn close reading skills)

Idea 2: Tone and Mood (group lesson where students work in groups of 3-4, write a short description of a dog walking in a park using a particular attitude I give them which they then share with class so the class can guess the mood)

Lesson 3: Socratic Circle with the reading of The Tiger, or the Lady (we would read story in class, answer 3-4 open response like questions, then have a 10 minute Socratic circle) This one seems really pressed for time but I might be able to have them assign the story the night before

Which would you suggest? I've never done this before so am I missing anything? Help!!!! :help:

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Mar 31, 2010

I like idea 2 the best for the lesson because it has the largest number of elements for you to demonstrate your teaching ability. Even if tone and mood was review material for the students, make sure to start with a mini-lesson.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 31, 2010

I know next-to-nothing about this age group, but I think 2 sounds like the best... because it's the most creative, and the kids would likely enjoy it, which means they'll behave better :)