2nd grader made a few C grades this year--

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Kara DeVerter, May 30, 2018.

1. Kara DeVerter

Kara DeVerter New Member

May 30, 2018

question regarding handwriting

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 31, 2018

Have you gotten any information about his skill level other than report card grades?

bella84 and mathmagic like this.
  4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 31, 2018

I think you may be stressing over little things. Some of these awards sound rather fake (being in running club).
    I would not encourage my child to go for easy awards.
    As for the A/B Honor Roll, I think you need to find out if that was for the whole year or for second semester. Most districts in my area do not give letter grades until third grade. Also, it is not at all unusual for grades to go up and down as assignments are graded.
    I would read with him a lot over the summer and discuss what has been read. Incorporate writing in authentic ways; thank you notes for birthday gifts, etc.
    If you are concerned about him not caring about some of his work, raise this issue with his pediatrician at his annual physical.
    I would not go the tutoring route; he needs to still be a kid and have some time to grow up.
    Good luck!

5. Kara DeVerter

Kara DeVerter New Member

May 31, 2018

I have some other data about his skill level and will find it. Thanks for the feedback. I agree, the other awards were just generic and were for participation, which I explained is why those are given, but they only mean you signed up for it.

6. Kara DeVerter

Kara DeVerter New Member

May 31, 2018

**explained to him. Meaning if you truly want those other awards, you have to go and do those things.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  7. a2z

a2z Maven

May 31, 2018

If you want to know the criteria for A/B honor roll, email the teacher or administrator. Find out the criteria for 2nd and 3rd. However, your goal should be to increase his academic understanding and skill set, not trying to get an award.

I'm giving some advice here, but you can ignore it if you want. I wouldn't be focusing on awards with your child but learning and improving in all you do. That will help him more in life than trying to get as many participation trophies as he can.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 31, 2018

Practice handwriting, yes (though my understanding is that the flipped bs-ds isn't so big a deal at this time) but I don't think you need a tutor.

Kara DeVerter likes this.
  9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 31, 2018

We don't give letter grades until 4th grade. Therefore, we don't have Honor Roll until 4th grade.

I loathe the idea of bogus awards--just for the sake of giving out & receiving awards.

As far as b/d reversals are concerned, they're still typical in 2nd grade...even in 3rd grade sometimes. The thumb/fingers trick was my favorite to use when I taught 2nd grade (but there are other good ones).

10. a2z

a2z Maven

May 31, 2018

OP, You are doing the right thing by doing a printing program with your child. It may be that he just was never taught to print like in our local schools.

It is no big deal until it is a big deal until it doesn't go away and the student has had years of wasted time with an underlying deficit causing the problem. Many will just figure it out, but you can certainly tell which ones most likely have a deficit if a quality printing instruction program was used.

Also many schools have abandoned teaching printing and some that still teach printing do not do so in a way to minimize reversals. Here is a great article by Reading Rockets. There is a blurb about reversals and how to help eliminate them.

http://www.readingrockets.org/article/importance-teaching-handwriting

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 31, 2018

I'm a tutor and I don't think you should get one. I hate the way awards set up some kids for hurt. This is too young for your child to be worrying. I would help him with handwriting at home and give him fun things to practice on. I would read to him every day, too, as I believe that has the best impact on kids' learning. Don't make it a chore. Your child is unique and you obviously are ready to support him in all he does. Let him be a kid and don't obsess.

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 31, 2018

My thoughts on awards: I am somewhat competitive by nature, so I don't mind a few pertinent awards.

But the useless, obligatory ones? One of my students said he was going to kill himself when he didn't get an award. Also a second grader.

Why are we doing this?

bella84 and Kara DeVerter like this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 31, 2018

Does anyone know why teaching printing is going out of vogue?

14. a2z

a2z Maven

May 31, 2018

I'm sure if you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers. My opinion is that in the push to eliminate anything rote, teachers moved away from teaching the skill. Others eliminated it because of bad memories of having to print perfectly. As with so many things in education, it is all or nothing and a lot of knee-jerk reactions.

The other "credible" excuses are usually wild justifications as to why it is no longer needed. For example, kids will use computers so they don't need to know how to _____ . That one covers a ton of skills now neglected.

Kara DeVerter and Backroads like this.
  15. Kara DeVerter

Kara DeVerter New Member

May 31, 2018

Gosh, thank you for these great responses. I am glad others agree that these awards set kids up for extrinsic reward seeking behavior, and sort of pit them against each other instead of encouraging working together and rewarding that. I told my son that if he wants the other awards, just say yes to those clubs next year, but I also told him they are BS (didn't use that term, LOL).

Backroads, that is so sad your student mentioned killing himself over getting an award. The whole ceremony thing just is weird at such a young age. I hope your student promptly forgot about it the next day. :-(

Thanks so much for everyone's help. The "mom guilt" has eased some. I believe in letting kids be kids, and in playing being more important than sports (of course we encourage sports if he wants to do them). We have read every night since forever, and now he reads before bed for 20-30 minutes. If me reading to him also helps, I will re-implement that. And we'll do the activities you all mentioned. I so appreciate all of them!

16. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 31, 2018

Definitely read to him! Kids need to hear fluent reading and it is something you can enjoy together.
    Our family read together until my daughters were in HS and different schedules just took over.

bella84 and Kara DeVerter like this.
  17. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 31, 2018

That's odd they're doing letter grades so young! Usually it's a Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory until 3rd or 4th Grade.
    And the honor roll/awards aren't given until Middle School
    I wouldn't worry so much unless he was really failing!

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 31, 2018

We don't do honour roll until Grade 7, and any other academic awards are reserved for Grade 8 graduation.

How sad that kids so young are worrying about this.

19. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 31, 2018

I agree with all of the above.
    - I hate awards when everybody gets one or when they put kids against each other.
    - You don’t need to get a tutor.
    - Standards based grading, in my opinion, is so much more appropriate than letter grades, especially in the elementary grades.
    - My current and previous schools both do still teach handwriting. However, with such limited time in the day, it’s often cut out, left to be self-guided for early finishers, or rushed through with minimal support for strugglers. We know its importance, we just don’t have time for it, as we are told by admin that it is lower priority than other content areas.

20. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2018

Too much focus on awards is a huge mistake, especially at 2nd grade.

I'm not really as negative about the tutoring as some here, though. Kids have LOTS of time, generally. Tutoring can help them in a long-term basis. Our approach was t to always have our kids involved in something active, something academic (outside school), and something artistic. Actually we could be accused of having gone a bit overboard (they actually were all involved in piano and calligraphy, a Saturday school, and tutoring for years -- as well as sports and martial arts). We've backed of a bit not more recently.

My middle son barely cared about grades at all through all elementary and middle school. We would push him and push him to do homework, but it never seemed to have much effect. He didn't get any awards at his middle school graduation. During the summer he started researching colleges and looking into the best ones for his area of interest. He set himself a goal to get into UNC. We had nothing to do with it. He's just finishing his first year of high school with a 4.0 GPA, and we haven't told him to do his homework once.

Incidentally, don't underestimate sports. It's not that important at the moment, but there are a lot of good things that can come out of it. My youngest has learned great leadership, teamwork, and resilience on his baseball and basketball teams that I don't think he would have learned elsewhere and certainly not through just play.

21. Nancy Doerner

Nancy Doerner New Member

Jun 1, 2018

22. Nancy Doerner

Nancy Doerner New Member

Jun 1, 2018

I have taught in the Catholic and public system in Texas for a total of about 15 years. During the summers I tutored kids from 1st to 6th grade. Although I do not like the idea of awards this does not ease the sadness of your child and you are probably not going to change your schools policy. Here are a few things I recommend: After you have found out information from the school have a talk with your child and discuss what he would like to work for next year. If he knows what he can work towards there's a better chance of attaining and appreciating success. Reading IS very important but I would have him read to you as much as you read to him. I am a BIG believer in having the child read out loud whether it is to a person or a stuffed animal - reading out loud with out judgement unless mistakes interfere with his understanding. Although kids need to be able to enjoy childhood they also need guidance. Now is the time to help him understand what is really important. Don't feel the need to cram your values down his throat but he is forming as a person. Help him understand life and what you feel is important.

Kara DeVerter and Backroads like this.
  23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 1, 2018

Yes to sports and music. Marching band is a full-time activity, but the discipline and teamwork is amazing. My daughter’s band director always reminded them that marching band was the biggest “club” in the high school.