2nd grade teachers....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Schuyler, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Apr 5, 2007

Hello!
    I will be doing an observation lesson as part of an interview process. It will be in 2nd grade and I can pick the subject/topic. I have never taught 2nd grade before, so I'd love your ideas on fun lessons that can be done in 30 minutes.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

3. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Apr 5, 2007

I guess where to start would be for you to pick what topic you would like to teach to the students. What are they currently learning? What have they already learned? Do you want to introduce something new or pick up on a previous lesson? If you have a ballpark idea, I'm sure a few of us could lend a helping hand.

4. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Apr 5, 2007

Thanks for the response. I don't know the teacher or classroom I'm going to, so I won't really have a sense of what they've studied and what they're learning. That makes it kind of tricky :)

I'm doing it the week of Arbor Day, so I was thinking of something with that? I didn't know if this might create problems for the classroom teacher who could already be doing something though. I want something integrated (ELA/SS or ELA/Science). Other ideas were sound, dinosaurs, or nutrition.

Any thoughts you have would be very much appreciated!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2007

I'm far from second grade. But, as usual, that doesn't stop me from adding my 2 cents :)

I personally would avoid dinosaurs... it seems almost too easy.

Why not take a look here: http://www.edhelper.com/K3Themes.htm Although you have to pay to become a member, there are lots of freebies. How about taking one of the reading comprehensions and going from there?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2007

Teach a math game= Circles and Stars by Marilyn Burns is great!!

How about something with measurement or geometry? You could make both of these very hands on.

7. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Apr 7, 2007

How do you do it?

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Apr 7, 2007

I'd highly recommend some sort of read-aloud... the kids will be hooked and you can show off your Literacy skills.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2007

10. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Apr 8, 2007

Teach skits, my students LOVE this.....have them help you write it. Explain the format then have students pick two characters. Decide on what the skit will be about and away they go. I have a very LOW class and they want to do more. We put the skit up in the classroom and they always want to act it out at centers. It gives them a sense of ownership. Focus the lesson by having the teacher or assistant act a skit out with you. I didn't have an assistant so I had a strong reader in the class help me.
    Good luck!!