2nd Grade Read Alouds

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 1, 2008

Okay so I got this Wells Fargo Grant for $500 for books for my reader's workshop. I FINALLY figured out how to order the books. I still need to spent like $80. What are some books that you use in second grade? I ordered a lot of books to teach comprehension strategies and I also ordered some that would teach writing skills. Any ideas?

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 1, 2008

Stone Fox and Stringbeans' Trip to the Shining Sea

4. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Mar 1, 2008

I used Allsburg's The Stranger to teach questioning and it was great. The Web Files is a fun read aloud also good for questioning. Big Al is good for summarizing.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 1, 2008

I just read The Stranger for questioning last week! The kids loved it! I'm going to get a lot of Chris Val Allsburg books. I love Big Al. =)

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 2, 2008

My favorite for Visualization/Creating Mental Images is the Chalk Box Kid. At the end of the book, I put up black roll paper in the hallway and give the kids chalk - they then make their own chalk garden like Gregory in the book. It's awesome. :D

7. swimmy

swimmy Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

Miss Kirby,
    I'm new here, so I don't really know how to email something to you. I have a list of Read Alouds at school along with the skill to be taught in each. I can send the list or post a pdf somewhere here if you let me know how.

8. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Mar 17, 2008

Have you seen the book Using Children's Literature to Enhance Reading Instruction? It is a fantastic book that gives strategies and skills for LOTS of great grade appropriate books.

It lists teaching strategies and then books that go along with the strategy. It is the one thing that I REALLY use a lot when I am looking for books that fit a strategy.

9. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 17, 2008

For the past 2 months I have begun to read stories that were read to me when I was in first, second, and third grade. These were stories my mom and dad would read to me also. They include Little Red Hen, Jack and the Beanstalk, The Little Engine That Could, The Tortoise and the Hare, etc. (favorites of long ago) I am finding that my students love them. We have wonderful discussions on each story. I don't have to wait for a week or two to finish a book. Sometimes I can do two in one day. So, as far as read alouds go...I have decided to stick to the classics for the rest of the year. I have raided my own home library, as well as the town library. I am having a ball hearing these delightful and well written stories over again myself. So I would suggest purchasing some of these classics.

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2008

The Mouse and the Motorcycle!!!! I finished reading the book before spring break and we did a few different things with it to improve comprehension. You can include mental images, predictions, connections, inferencing and we even planned out the ending of the book before we actually read it. It lends to alot of great things. We even watched the mini movie of it to compare/contrast the book to the movie. We did character maps also. I actually LOVE this book and I will read it every year! Even my low kids were able to keep up with it over the weeks and they were so excited during read aloud time. It was great!

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2008

My Father's Dragon- the kids love it!

12. kr627

kr627 Rookie

Apr 7, 2008

chapter books or picture books?

my all time favorite second grade chapter book for read alouds is the last of the very great whangdoodles.
    also:
    because of winn dixie- any dicamillo books
    amelia bedelia
    miss piggly wiggly
    chocolate touch
    roald dahl
    superfudge

as for picture books:
    chyrsanthemum and all kevin henkes
    tacky the penguin series
    david weisner books
    frog and toad books are great for retelling
    all of the mo willems books!
    david shannon of course
    officer buckle and gloria
    paper bag princess
    thunder cake and all patricia polacco

hope these get you started!

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 8, 2008

All the Patricia Polacco books are great. Be sure to look at
    http://www.booksource.com/ it's the most efficient way to find books for specific needs. While you're picking books out be sure to include plenty of non fiction, be sure and include some biographies.