2nd Grade Novels/Picture Books

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by passionateacher, Jul 25, 2010.

1. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

2nd Grade Picture/Chapter Book Read-Alouds

My goal this year (among the dozen others) is to read aloud everyday in the 12 minutes before lunch. Before, it was 10-minute math, but I'm moving that to the end of the day.

Eventually I want to read aloud a chapter each day from a chapter book (Cam Jansen, Stories Julian Tells, Wayside School is Falling Down,etc.) but at the beginning I figured I should start out with picture books (1/2 a book or 1 book a day if time).

What picture books do you suggest? I need a long list if I'm going to read 2 or 3 picture books per week! I have plenty but all don't have a good, deep "message" if you know what I mean. I want spectacular read-alouds like Crickwing by Janell Canon (that one I read EVERY year).

And what chapter books do you suggest? I got 4 copies each of A Little Princess and The Secret Garden from Target to use for small groups...do you ever read aloud books that 1 or 2 small groups have already read? I'd hate to bore them.:yawn:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2010

4. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 26, 2010

For fun read alouds using picture books I usually go along with the unit of study we are working on. For example, back to school books at the beginning of the year, books about friends and family, manners, etc.
    I start day one reading chapter books aloud. That was always my favorite time of day when I was in school and my kids always love it too. I like Beverly Cleary, Magic Tree House for short reads, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Charlotte's Web, and animal fiction is always a hit. I will have to think of some new titles this year since I am moving up grades and will have many of the kids I had last year.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

Hello! I am new to 3rd this yeat, but when I taught 1st and 2nd I also tried to find a set period of the day where I would read aloud.

It's so so important and the children love it.

I also like to incorporate seasonal books into the mix as well... We read the Magic Tree House Merlin Mission "Christmas In Camelot" and the children LOVED it.

I also read my 2nd graders the Junior Edition of "The Gift of the Magi." That story honestly evoked some emotion in my children. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the story... it's a quick read. Basically it's about a poor married couple who give a possession so they can afford a gift for their spouse. Wife cuts her hair... buys husband a watch chain. Husband sells watch... buys wife beautiful combs for her hair. I'm tearing up as I write about it, it's such a great story. Some of my kids, bless their hearts, at the end said "But wait!! Mrs. W...? If she sold her hair... she can't USE the clips?!?!"

I too like to do readlouds with a message. We read "Dexter the Tough." Amazing book about a kid who is so overwhelmed by his dad's illness that he expresses it in the form of bullying and putting on a "tough" facade. I highly recommend this one!

Another great book with a message, it's older, "The Hundred Dresses." Your boys may think they will hate the book because of the title, but I have read this book every year for 5 years. Great message.

If you're in Catholic/Christian school, any children's book by Max Lucado is great too. Nice illustrations as well!

I have totally read aloud books that some kids have read before. I know I used to love reading the same book over and over again... :) No one usually complains, UNLESS they read it aloud as a class last school year! I heard "We read this in FIRST grade!" once... haha. They think they're so mature. ;)

6. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 26, 2010

I really like to read the Choose Your Own Adventure books out loud. You know the ones that have different endings depending on the choices you make throughout the story? It may say something like, "If you choose to keep sailing the boat in hopes of making land by morning, turn to page 26. If you choose to put out the anchor and stay in place waiting to be rescued, turn to page 28." The kids vote on what to do each time and I read them with lots of expression and such...they love them!

7. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 31, 2010

I love The Great Fuzz Frenzy!