2nd grade literacy centers

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 4, 2008

My end of the year first graders right now are buzzing through their centers as fast as they can which causes some behaviors (ummm I mean a lot). I need to really watch and analyze which centers are they flying through.

Next year in second grade I'll probably do centers again to have enough time for reading groups. What are some "meaty" center ideas that will keep this kids working and engaged?

Some of my center the kids just get TIRED of after we have them for more than like a month. They are good centers - but if I change it up the behavior gets better. But I don't have time to be changing centers all the time - I'm already spending time copying new minibooks for them to make, poems for their poetry binders, and others. I think I'm going to start a science/social studies center because there is just not enough time in the day for some of it.

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Apr 4, 2008

Miss Kirby

I certainly do not have too much experience with this but I hope that I can share something with you. I hope someone with more experience will share as well. I was having the same thing happening as they were blowing through centers and not really doing a good job just so they could get on computers. If the computers were taken I would get tattle tellers informing me that "such-n-such has been on computers for 30 mins". One of my coworkers shared her contract center form which basically has 8-9 centers on it that they have to agree to complete. Of course you have to show them what "complete" means. This has helped behavior and the quality of work. My centers are as follows:
    Independent reading (with a project response such as making a book mark, drawing their favorite character, etc)
    Scholastic News - read magazine / complete activity that goes with it.
    Word work - word families making words and writing sentences
    Listening center - listening to basal story and then completing response
    Spelling Center - activities with their spelling words - writing sentences, put in ABC order, writing 3x each.
    Writing Center - I will have a writing activity that goes along with something going on at the time (holiday, season, Black History)
    Journal writing - picking a prompt from the topics of the week and writing in their journal
    Take it your seat centers - I have many different things for both reading and language.
    Poetry Center - Finding rhyming words
    Computers - Reading on select websites, Reading on Riverdeep

The "meatiest" centers are writing, journal writing and independent reading. None of the centers take too much planning. The key with this system is to have mid-week contract checks. When you call up your groups for reading have them bring their folders to see how they are progressing. This also helps the kids who not on track. No matter what you do I have found that you have to change it up every once in awhile as they will always find ways to do the least amount of work. Good Luck

4. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Apr 4, 2008

I do ten centers with my second graders and they work in pairs. They only do one center daily and are given a half-hour. Meatier and more meaningful centers are just going to take a little more planning. I have four centers I don't really have to plan every rotation for; like computer, puzzle/magnet, silent reading, and handwriting (they alphabetize spelling list words and write sentences). My other six include Language Arts, Math, Religion (private school), writing (I give them a story starter, they write/draw picture), Listening Center, and Seasonal Center. I only have to plan these every three and a half weeks. I put directions in each folder so they learn to figure things out for themselves (although before a new rotation I do go over activities with the class). After a mini-lesson on how centers work, it went so smoothly after just one or two rotations.

5. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

Apr 4, 2008

Teachers in our building have been experimenting with "The Daily 5". It seems valuable for training procedures while you work with small groups of children. The book is inexpensive and an easy read and could be reasonably well adapted to whatever other program you're using. Depending on my team situation next year, I expect to work with it. I don't want to sound like an advertisement but do a google search to see if it is something that fits your needs.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 4, 2008

My stations include reading big books, playing language tic-tac-toe, making words, building words, Leap Pads, letter sounds, spelling, prefixes and suffixes, listening, antonyms and synonyms, writing, word sorts, sight words, grammar, poetry, contractions, letter stamps, dictionary and thesaurus, special projects, and comprehension.

I don't change my stations through the year. Once I check through them in the summer and add activities then, they are set. I do limit their rotations so they aren't doing the same thing every time so they don't get bored easily. They keep the same station for thirty minutes. I don't have any "accountability" activities - they are all open ended and ungraded.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 4, 2008

Do any of you do center packets? That they have to turn in at the end of the week?

I like the idea but I don't want to have more paper to look at!!!

8. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Apr 4, 2008

I don't do center packets. Obviously, I have some worksheets, but I try to create meaningful experiences hands-on activities. I feel they get enough worksheets during all-group instruction.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 4, 2008

I have a monthly packet that they work on in their free time. At the end of the month, we grade it together so I don't have to!

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2008

Literacy Work Stations!!!!:2up:

11. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 5, 2008

On the literacy center, one teacher had her H take 2 pvc elbow fittings, one smaller than the other & connect them with a small pvc pipe in the middle so that it formed a phone handset. Children use it as a phone while they read aloud so that they are able to hear themselves through the phone. She says they love it. This particular teacher had all kinds of centers throughtout the room that kept the kids engaged. She even had activities using the overhead projector as part of a learning center.

12. SarahY

SarahY Rookie

Apr 5, 2008

As a grade level team, we made center menus for each quarter. The menus are color coded for each learning level (below, on and above).

Our school is also looking to buy Smart Centers this summer.

I choose one piece of work for the students to turn in and that is their center grade for the week. The centers are reading, language, word works, listening, and writing. The students also go to independent reading for 25-30minutes each day.

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 5, 2008

Maybe if I have five centers the kids do a week, one a day, then I can have my kids to independent reading for 30 minutes. My first graders can read for about 15, so second graders can read longer. That way I would have time for conferring and a group. Hmm.

14. C2Teach

C2Teach Rookie

Apr 5, 2008

I'm still tweaking mine - but this is a rough idea of what mine look like - kids self select 2 centers to go to each day for about 15 minutes each while I pull individuals or small groups. listening to reading, art, word study/spelling, math, computer, puzzles and board games, vocabulary, phonics, phonemic awareness, fluency, and comprehension. If you go to the Florida website you can download tons of the last 5 (reading 1st focussed). There is a chatboard for centers on www.proteacher.net that has a variety of ideas as well.

15. SarahY

SarahY Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

Our kids have trouble with it at the beginning of the year, but now they get it. I can e-mail them to you if you are interested in them. They are based on Tennessee state standards.

16. read101

read101 Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

Center Ideas

I like to use "student activity center" ideas from fcrr.org
    There are several center ideas on every component of reading (phonics, fluency, comprehension, vocabulary, etc) Most of the center activities have a recording sheet with it for student accountability. :)

17. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Apr 12, 2008

Just throwing this idea out there cause it works the BEST in our building! We live by the Daily 5. It's a program by the Two Sisters and it is so student and teacher friendly. Basically the students can choose (or you can choose for them) from Read to Self, Buddy Reading, Listen to Reading, Word Work (this could include the type of things you are doing now, but they are reusable week after week, like stamps, beads, magnets, etc.), and Writing. I do my guided reading groups while they work on these. They love having a choice and all I have to do is put out new books on tape every once in awhile! Our K-3 teachers are all using it.

18. tomfoolery

tomfoolery Rookie

Apr 20, 2008

I read a borrowed copy of The Daily 5 over Thanksgiving and have been dying to get started with it. Our principal just bought copies for the staff and I expect many of us will get started with it next year. I have thought about using The Daily 5 for our six week summer school. Any thoughts?

19. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Apr 21, 2008

It would definitely still work with summer school. Maybe choose 2 or 3 that you would like to use since introducing them with the procedures can take awhile. I would stick with Read to Self, Read to Someone, Listening, or maybe Word Work. Choosing a few will make it easier to get started.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 21, 2008

I've found that sometimes your management doesn't fit each group of kids. My kids last year did excellent with the system that I did. This set of kids are a different story. They can't have any semi-structured time. Their behavior is horrible during station time! Actually this group of kids just don't click together very well. It's been a long, tough year.

21. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 21, 2008

Here's the link to my dilema at choosing the right stations at the beginning of the year. It may give you a few ideas.

22. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 21, 2008

Miss W, then what do you do?

I don't think I've never had a class that could control themselves during literacy centers.

I have countless books with center ideas, most of them that I haven't used because there is no time to put the things together. Gr.

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 21, 2008

My class this year has lost their station privilages several times this year. We've moved on to P.A.T. (Preferred Activity Time). Most of the time they do well with that. While I'm meeting with Guided Reading groups the students are at their desks reading and responding in their Reader's Notebooks. That's all they're allowed to do because they've shown me that they can't handle anything else.

24. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Apr 23, 2008

My students rotate between....

Partner Reading
    Independent Reading
    Computers (literacy activities)
    Listening Center
    & Literature Circles

They do one center per-day (plus Guided Reading)

25. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 23, 2008

I'm thinking about doing that too, Miss W. How long can your second graders sit and read and write in response journals? Right now my first graders do it for about 15 min depending on the day.

I also wanted to be able to do reading conferences with them next year. I totally wasn't consistent this year. So that's why I guess I need centers, so I can do GR and conferring.

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 23, 2008

My 2nd graders can do it for about 35-45 minutes. It's funny that they can sit for so long and be on task, but get them to moving around and interacting with each other and they loose. it.