2nd Grade Interview...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach24iam, May 2, 2010.

1. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

May 2, 2010

I have an interview for a 2nd grade teaching position in 2 weeks. I have taught pre-school and kindergarten, but that is as high as I have gone...If anyone has any suggestions or advice on what I should be reading up on, or what they may ask in regards to 2nd grade, or just some info on what is generally taught in 2nd grade, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

3. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

May 2, 2010

I'm an ECE person that has taught first and second grades (after teaching Pre-K)

I'd say the big thing is our district is "data-driven instruction." The fact that you give some sort of assessment (paper, performance, etc.) and then use that information to drive your instruction. For example, I sit down with each kid for a couple of minutes to figure out who can count coins. I write down what each kid can do (data) and then use this data to decide...if they've got it...what do I do? And, if you they don't have it...what do I do?

I LOVED Pre-K, but have to admit that 1st and 2nd have been great too! Good luck!

4. teach24iam

teach24iam Comrade

May 2, 2010

Thanks, I love Kindergarten, but it's time for a change....so looking into other options...

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 2, 2010

I would think that based on what you wrote you will field questions about:

-How you will teach literacy
    -How you will compensate for the lack of experience in 2nd grade

I wasn't sure how to write the 2nd one without it sounding harsh. What I mean is that you will probably be up against candidates who have experience in 2nd (or even 1st/3rd) grade and the fact that you don't may be of concern to some of the people doing the hiring. It certainly doesn't mean you aren't qualified or that you wouldn't be able to do an amazing job. It's just a topic to be prepared for so you are not caught off guard.

Best of luck! Second is an AWESOME grade to teach!