2nd Grade Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Newto2ndGrade, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Newto2ndGrade

Newto2ndGrade Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

Hi Everyone,
    I am going to be teaching 2nd grade this year after teaching 3rd for 8 years. It will be a new school and district as well. I am looking for super ideas to start off the year, good teacher manuals, advice about the kids and their abilties and anything else you can share about this age. I am really excited! TIA! :)

3. kjnewman

kjnewman Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

Welcome to 2nd grade! I loved teaching that age! I worked at a great school in Wake County and have a ton of stuff. Too much to share here.
    The MAth week by week essentials is great for morning work. I also have Daily oral language practice. I have some notebooks of several units pertaining to social studies. You can e-mail me if you would like.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 30, 2005

Oh! There's so much to share. If you want to post specific questions we can answer each one. Here's one to start you off: Let the students write their own class rules. We spent part of the first day doing this. We wrote down all the rules that we thought were important to have in the classroom. Next we erased any that were repeats. Next we tried to get the list to 8 rules or less (could we combine any or make them more general?). Once we narrowed it down, we re-worded them to be positive. We tried to not put any negative words, like no, in them.

5. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Hi,
    I am also teaching 2nd grade this year. I taught 3rd grade last year. I am interested in what the math and writing warm up series is. Could you please let me know the titles and where you got them.

Thank you!

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 31, 2005

Your school may do a particular program across the grades so you need to find that out. We've done SaxonMath and Phonics in the past. This year we're using Mastery Math across the district. We are beginning to use Words Their Way for spelling and phonics. As for writing, there are so many possibilities. I use the Guided Readers and Writers Grades 3-6. I also use componetes of Smart Start and Step Up to Writing. Before you buy anything, see what teachers around you use. You don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on things they'll let you borrow.