2nd Grade Help!!!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Nenj4, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Nenj4

Nenj4 New Member

Jun 11, 2009

I have been teaching 1st grade for the last 3 years and have been "promoted" to second grade for the upcoming school year. I am a little nervous, as I have zero experience with second graders. I was hoping that some teachers with second grade experience might be able to give me some tips. A big question I have is about the paper I use for writing. I am considering using wide-ruled notebook paper for writing, instead of the paper with the very wide lines and a dotted middle line. What does anyone think of this? Can a second grader handle this type of paper? What other ideas or tricks does anyone have for me?

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2009

2nd grade is a great year. I used to teach it and enjoyed it thoroughly.

As for paper, I used the handwriting paper at the very beginning of year, but quickly transitioned into wide-ruled notebook paper during the first few weeks. I would not advise college-rules paper though.

4. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 11, 2009

2nd grade is grade!! As far as the curriculum, 2nd grade is a review and more in-depth of what you've already taught in 1st. You will love it! They can do so much on their own! They still love you though. They love to be read to. They love to be "big kids" too. They like a lot of things that your 1st graders like. Think that they're the same kids you let go at the end of the year, so you actually know where they are.

We use tablet paper for the first 1/2 of the year. (Many are ready to write on wide ruled notebook paper within a couple of weeks but we bought a ton of tablet paper, so we tried to use it up.) They're great helpers and love to help you and other students. I always love how they can teach their peers when they're not getting it from me!

You'll do a great job! Congratulations!

5. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

2nd grade is awesome! I've taught K, 1, and 2. 2nd is my favorite. What cirriculum are you using in reading and math?

6. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jun 25, 2009

I don't know what your curriculum is like where you guys are, but I don't think that the 2nd grade curriculum is a total review of 1st grade at all. Maybe for the first little bit, but there's so much more that we have to cover. But 2nd Grade is awesome. I agree with jeannie...use the newsprint of paper with the dashed lines for awhile. You will have to "train" them how to use notebook paper. If you have any more specific questions, I'll be glad to help. I've only been teaching 5 years, but all 5 in Second Grade and I wouldn't want any other grade!

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 25, 2009

I always use wide-ruled notebook paper...even on the first day of school! Don't be afraid to introduce it early--the sooner, the better (in my humble opinion)!

Second grade ROCKS! In fact, I have a Scince bulletin board that says "Second Grade ROCKS!" The kids are so excited about learning and they're too young (for the most part) to have a bad attitude about school.

Set the bar HIGH! They're meet and usually exceed your expectations! Good luck!

8. Nenj4

Nenj4 New Member

Jun 26, 2009

I am using Houghton Mifflin for Reading and Harcourt for Math.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 26, 2009

Houghton-Mifflin and Harcourt

Houghton-Mifflin is easy to navigage, especially for a first year 2nd grade teacher! Many of the workbook (Practice Book) pages are useless, but you can pick and choose which ones you'd like to assign. Also, I'd recommend using the "Phonics Library" books that accompany the Houghton-Mifflin series. I send home copies of them each week because they help the students practice the weekly spelling pattern. Some of the spelling words are much too easy, so I got a list of extra spelling words from eduplace.com :thumb:

We just adopted Houghton-Mifflin for Math, too. However, for the past five years we used Harcourt. I liked the Harcourt program; however, I felt that they didn't provide students with enough Extra Practice. I usually ended up pulling worksheets, games, and activities from other places. Overall, though, Harcourt was a good program for us. :2cents: