2nd grade Classroom decor ideas

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Errrrrrrrrr!, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Errrrrrrrrr!

Errrrrrrrrr! Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

I was wondering what are the dos/don'ts of classroom decor. Can you have too many bulletin boards? Should the borders match up? What things are a must in the classroom? Calendar, math wall, job board?

This is my first classroom and I know I won't have the resources and decor veteran teachers might have. So I want to go clean and functional. Any ideas? :help:

3. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Aug 13, 2014

I think I might have been one of the rare primary grade teachers who didn't enjoy decorating her classroom. I think it's because I'm just not that creative. I never had a "theme" - I just liked to make it colorful and inviting. I spent most of my time arranging (and re-arranging) furniture and organizing all of the "stuff"

I had a calender up since we did calendar every day. I didn't have a math wall or a job board - I used "helping hands" that were all attached together with a binder ring and hanging on a magnetic hook. I liked to use most of my wall space for student-created work so I tried my best not to clutter it up too much with decor.

I probably didn't help much. :lol:

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2014

It really depends on your room. I've had 9 bulletin boards. I've had none. Some teachers like their borders to match, some like giving a different look to each. There is no right/wrong.

I post a calendar regardless of grade level. I need it. We may not do 'calendar time', but it is up and visible.

Personally, I am not a fan of generic BBs. I try to make them useful instead of hanging a bunch of information that no one pays attention to. Student work, rules, an interactive BB, word wall, etc... Something useful.

5. Errrrrrrrrr!

Errrrrrrrrr! Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Thanks to both of you. I have about five bulletin board areas but have mandated things to put up. I really want to be able to display student work prominately but don't think I will be left with enough room. Maybe I will see about putting up clothes lines and laundry pins.

I guess my biggest fear is that everything will look hastily put together.

6. Mommytotmn

Mommytotmn Rookie

Aug 14, 2014

what is mandated?

What are the mandated things you must put up?

7. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 14, 2014

Here are some things I put on the bulletin boards:

birthdays
    calendar
    word wall (sight words, math, spelling)
    create a reading nook with titles of books
    math charts (100 chart, multiplication, key words for solving word problems)
    classroom rules and expectations

I have also created a bulletin board to put the children's work up. Each child has a placemat with a picture. They enjoy seeing their work displayed.

Hope this helps.

8. Errrrrrrrrr!

Errrrrrrrrr! Rookie

Aug 14, 2014

Per the principal, I have to have a wbt area, a no excuse university area, a readers are leaders area, phonics /alphabet cards, and an amazing words/ selected words wall. Per the veteran teacher at my grade level, I need a writing wall, math wall, and calendar area.

I'm thinking I am really going to utilize my doors and cabinets so I can have a wall dedicated to student work.

9. Errrrrrrrrr!

Errrrrrrrrr! Rookie

Aug 14, 2014

That's a good list to go by, thanks. I actually bought out the 99 cent store for all those types of things. It was amazing.

10. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Aug 16, 2014

May I ask what "wbt" and "no excuse university" areas are?

11. Errrrrrrrrr!

Errrrrrrrrr! Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

Wbt is Whole brain teaching (basically the five rules).

I'm not quite sure what No Excuses University is to be honest. It is some program that promotes every child going to college. My area is 99% poverty and made up of students that come from the migrant farm camp and rescue mission. From my understanding, it gives the students goals that they would not get from home. So the bulletin board has college stuff. This is my first year at this school (and teaching in general), so I'm sure I'll learn more as I go along.

12. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Aug 17, 2014

Interesting. You'll have to keep us updated :)

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 3, 2014

I'm kind of a minimalist, so I don't go out of my way to make it cutesy. I like themes, though. This year I have a nature theme. A few leaf/stone borders, a couple of plants and rocks... that's about it. I read once that an overly stimulating classroom isn't that great for younger students and it stuck with me. I have a word wall that takes up... well, the walls. I have one bulletin board devoted to the calendar and math stuff (because I love that), another bulletin board devoted to Student of the Week/Discipline/Random Student-related stuff, and another that gets more regularly changed based on what I'm teaching. Our school teaches the 7 Habits, so I have the mandated stuff for that plus an anchor chart or two, but my classroom is relatively bare. I like it that way.