2nd grade book reports

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by DaisyGirl, Jul 28, 2005.

1. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I just have a quick question about book reports. Does anyone know if book reports are given in 2nd grade or not? I student taught in 2nd grade and I did not give book reports then and last year I taught 3rd grade. Please let me know if 2nd graders do book reports and if so how many in a school year?

Thank you! :)

3. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 28, 2005

I teach 2nd grade and my team of 2nd grade teachers have the students do 2-3 book reports. Just a simple book report with an art project. I think it depends on what your team of teachers are doing in your school.

4. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about doing 2 book reports. Last year in 3rd grade I had my students do 4. And the other reason why I am asking (I forgot to mention this) is because I am the only 2nd grade teacher at my school.

Thanks again!

5. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I did a great one this past year with my 2nd graders. I think we only did like 2-3 during the year but my team doesn't do any. The kids loved this one though. I called it "Biography In A Can" and they each checked out a biography and had to read it. Then they had to decorate the outside of a coffee can with clues about their person (ie. Babe Ruth would have baseball, bat, exc.). Then inside the can they had to write 5-10 clues about their person on strips of paper withour using the persons name (This person...). The day they were due, each kid got infront of the class and read their clues and the class had 10 guesses to figure out who it was. Sometimes they got and sometimes they didnt but they had the best time doing it and they wanted to do it again! :) I gave them a month to complete the project (read and create) then I graded it on creativity, neatness and presentation (reading their clues.) I have a few more ideas if you need some but that one was fun!

6. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Were the children able to read these biographies on their own, or was it something that parents read to them? I tried to do a book report this past year and I didn't like the way it turned out. Any ideas are appreciated!

7. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

Our librarian at school pulled out a select few books that were at the 2nd grade and below reading level for my class to look through so they were able to read them on their own. Also, some of my students went to the local library to check out their books because some wanted more of a selection. I try to keep my book reports more project based so then the writing is limited and then they tend to be more "fun" for the kids. Another fun one, "Paper Bag Report" where they read a book, decorate the outside of a white paper bag with the title and author and pictures from the book, then on the inside the put 3-5 real objects that have to do with the book. They present to the class their bag and describe why they chose their objects this way they have to tell about the book too! That project can be done with any book!

8. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

How did you come up with these ideas? On your own, or have you found a good resource book to help? I havent been able to find one that is more for 2nd grade.

9. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

Last year our second grade did book reports. another idea is a Haunted House book report. Students had to pick a ghost story or a mystery.
    -Draw a haunted house on a piece of posterboard.
    -Draw a door and at least 5 windows.
    -Cut your door and windows so that they open.
    -Tape or glue blank paper to the back of the poster so that you can write on it through the doors and windows.
    -Then in each of the windows and doors you would put the story elements in. Title, author, Setting,main characters, your opinion of the book, and a summary of the story.

The students did all of the work at home and could have help, except with the writing. It counted as two reading grades. We always looked forward to this because the studentsd and parents would be creative and it makes a great hallway decoration for the last week of October.

10. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

I wish that I could take the credit but I have just done a lot of looking around online and adapting what I have read to meet the needs of my 2nd graders. I like that haunted house idea! That is a cute one that I might need to try this year! We also do one on sports. The kids can pick a non-fiction book on any type of sporting event (some did baseball, some did dirt bike racing, or ballet). THen they have to make a poster for their sport list 5 rules that have to be followed when playing their sport that they read about. Again, we are lucky to have a wonderful library so we have access to these books. But like you, bam41, I havent ever been able to find "that book" so I have made some changes with what I have been able to find online.