2nd grade advice needed

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by kariebear04, Jun 12, 2009.

1. kariebear04

kariebear04 New Member

Jun 12, 2009

I am a 4th grade teacher moving down to 2nd grade next year. I'm looking to start buying and collecting things for my 2nd grade class. What are the things, games, books, books that kids love or series, centers, manipulatives, or ideas that you just couldn't live without in a 2nd grade room?

Thank You so much for all your help!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 13, 2009

Henry and Mudge series books
    Weird School Series books
    Cam Jansen series
    Magic Treehouse series

Count-down (It's a game -- you can often find it at Target.)
    Money Bags (It's a game from Learning Resources)
    Dino Math Tracks (It's a place value game -- just don't use the 1,000s column.. they only do ones, tens, and hundreds in 2nd grade.)

StarFall Level II Journals. They are great for the beginning of the year -- big ruled lines, word banks with pictures... great.

Magnets and objects that will be attracted to magnets

World Puzzles (Dollar Tree)

Dice -- for all kinds of place value dice games (cheap at the dollar store)

A zillion replica animals. Make foam mats labeled with various habitats (desert, ocean, rainforest, grassland, etc) and students can sort the animals by habitat. This is my most used center.

If you use tables, get a set of privacy screens from Lakeshore Learning or ReallyGoodStuff. Kids at this age don't fully comprehend that "wandering eyes" are cheating. I use them for important testing -- so I can figure out what each student knows.. not what their neighbor knows! They come in a set of 12 -- but you only need one for every other student.

BEAR binders -- called a bunch of other things.. STAR binders, MOOSE binders. Do an internet search if you aren't familiar with them. Invaluable.

A classroom set of "smart pal" sleeves from EAI. http://www.eaieducation.com/532371.html You won't need individual white boards if you have these, and you can do so many more things than with white boards.

That's all I can think of right now.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 13, 2009

PS -- I was born not too far from you, and I had neighbors who constantlly went camping at Coldwater. They were the only people I ever knew (back then) who went camping, and I always wished they'd take me... but my Mom's idea of camping was to stay at the Holiday Inn. Major flashback moment.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2009

I completely agree. These are great - expensive and they are not indestructible so you would need to be careful.

6. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

These look interesting... Are they geared more for primary grades? What do you use inside the sleeves?

I found this info online... http://www.youtube.com/user/EAIEducation

These look cool.. I like how you can put a sheet of paper in them. Some of my students had trouble writing on whiteboards..If I could slip a piece of graph paper in the sleeve during math that would really help.

7. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Jun 13, 2009

lots of dice and many sets of playing cards... I use them constantly for addition, subtraction and multiplication. Instead of buying dice, I bought little blank wooden cubes and made my own. One set is the traditional 1-6 and the other set is 4-9.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 13, 2009

You can buy books that have different sheets to copy and use inside -- a huge array, including a clock, fraction bars, measuring cups, thermometers, etc.. However, I make most of mine myself. I have all kinds of dice games that can be slipped into the sleeves and used over and over again. I have clocks, money to count, fractions to shade, partner houses to solve, fact family houses, etc.

One of the most helpful things I've done with these is to make "money" sheets. I stamp out (or computer print) collections of coins and bills that are $3 or less (which is our state standard.) I have 25 different sheets, all numbered 1-25 so I can tell them apart. Each one is different. I hand them out. The students count the money on their card. The great thing is, they can cross out the coins as they count them. I have an answer key at my desk. The students come to me when they have finished, and I give them the thumbs up (it is right) which means they erase it, and trade it for another one they haven't done. If they get "the head shake" they go back to their seat, erase their marks, and try again. If they bring card #21, I just look at my sheet for #21 and check the answer quickly. We keep switching and switching and switching. If a child keeps having trouble, I get someone who is completing them quickly and correctly to be that child's partner for a while. The thing I love is that the kids get to get up... walk quickly to me... hustle back to their seats..etc... which gives them that moving around time they need.

You do want to make sure you have about 5 more cards than students, so you have some to trade a all times. It isn't important that every child does every card. Just notice if someone isn't coming up much (or at all) and get them a partner, or if a child keeps coming up with the wrong answers, get them a partner and make a mental note to pull them for small group the next day and work with them on coin counting some more.

It is a lot of fun.

9. kariebear04

kariebear04 New Member

Jun 13, 2009

Thank you so much for all the books, games, and center ideas....that was exactly the type of information that I needed! Thank you again...

10. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

Thanks for sharing this! It looks wonderful. I'm moving to 2nd grade next year as well and it looks like it will be great for the beginning of the year.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 13, 2009

Maroki,
    If you are ordering from Starfall, also get their blank dictionaries. I have my students write their word wall words in it each week as we introduce the words. This way they have a complete word wall dictionary at their desk -- so it isn't so important if they are sitting where it isn't easy to see the actual word wall. Also, at the end of the year, they can take that completed dictionary wtih them, and use it in 3rd grade.

12. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Jun 14, 2009

I love the Carson Dellosa G.A.M.E.S. books. Each book has about 15-16 games...just cut out, make file folder covers, and laminate. There are books for lang. arts, math, and a file folder games. Also, Evan Moor has a series "Phonics Games". And, Evan Moor has "Phonics Word Sorts." All 3 series have pre-colored materials and available by grade level. My kids love the games.

Legos and any other type of building materials are great. Check out Oriental Trading Co. for some building stuff.

I love using the book "Four Square Writing." Don't know the publisher....it is a great book to use.

13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 16, 2009

checkers
    chess
    sorry
    cards!
    dice
    Uno
    pillows to lie on while reading
    spiral notebooks for them to use however they want -writing, drawing, cutting up and creating!
    Mancala
    Battleship

puzzles puzzles puzzles - great for kids who finish early! I try to have one set up at a table at all times. They LOVE Where's Waldo puzzles!

14. KIF

KIF Companion

Jun 17, 2009

Great suggestions so far!

I would like to add:

Take to your Seat Centers for ELA (publisher ??), but common in stores

I switched from 5th (no centers) to 2nd so needed to develop some centers quickly. This book gave me a great base.

15. kariebear04

kariebear04 New Member

Jun 18, 2009

I will definitely check into where is waldo puzzles and center books! I'm having that problem too with centers, soooo frustrating!

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

There is a great book What Are the Other Kids Doing While You Teach Small Groups? that has lots of great ideas for centers.

17. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

File folder/phonics games
    Cds for listening center and math (Addition/Subtraction Rap cds are always a student favorite)
    Magnetic letters and numbers/cookie sheets
    Readers' Theatre/Fluency books
    fluency folders
    dice
    sentence strips
    popsicle sticks

Favorite student books...
    Junie B. Jones series
    Eric Carle books
    Magic Tree House series
    Black Lagoon series
    Biscuit books (for emerging readers)