2hr delay

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jspader02, Jan 14, 2009.

1. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

Jan 14, 2009

for tomorrow - and school has already been cancelled friday due to cold weather. anyone else???? :cool:

3. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

We are cancelled for tomorrow but will probably have school on Friday.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 15, 2009

Hey, call my Supt. and tell him to delay school tomorrow! It will be in the low teens here in AL and down here, we start freezing stiff in the 20's... LOL

5. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Jan 15, 2009

I wish....a bunch of counties around us had 2 hour delays or were closed...Us...nothing:(

There was some snow on the ground so I was hoping! (We have built in snow days...if we don't use them we still go.....we haven't used 1 yet this year.)

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 15, 2009

We are -4 this morning with a wind chill of -20. And you folks are whining about the teens:). I am a transplanted southern girl and this stuff is for the bird, or the polar bears!

BTW, our bathrooms don't have heat because they put in a new heating system last year and decided they would get warm enough without heat. Those seats are cold! I don't think I will drink any liquids today.

7. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

I had a house that didn't have heat in the bathroom. I bought a small electric heater - Lifesaver!

8. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 15, 2009

I wish we had that option. Of course, the superintendent is a guy and doesn't see what the big deal is.

9. wikteacher

wikteacher Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

Yup, we were notified yesterday for our cancellation today... -15 this morning w/o windchill! Yuck!

10. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jan 15, 2009

:) No whining!!! :) Our commute temp was -28*F with the windchill at -44*F... and that's after it warmed up some. No delays, no cancellations.. nothing. BUT, we will have indoor recess again...hahahahahaaa!!

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 15, 2009

Nope, just a regular day for us. Although we're actually hitting about 25 degrees today, so we're nowhere near as cold as many other parts of the nation, but it's still chilly. Our "walkers" live up to a mile from the high school. Brrrrr! Hopefully most of them can get rides to and from school. I am wearing a turtleneck and wool sweater today after freezing yesterday. I feel much better!

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2009

I won't complain about our temps in the 30s today then. But to us that is COLD!! Of course the sun is shining so no need to cancel school.

I was watching the news last night, and they had a reporter in Minnesota who was comparing how cold it was up there. She put a Tshirt in water and then hung it up to "dry". In 2 minutes,that shirt was as stiff as a board! :eek:

13. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

High of -6 today with -20 windchills and blowing snow, quite the shock for many people in Illinois. No school!

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2009

School was cancelled today:mad:. I have stuff to do. I feel like I don't have days to waste that I won't get back, cause lets face it, any days they tack on at the end of the year aren't going to be as productive as days that I'm missing now (and I don't want to come back to school after the scheduled last day). Right now the temp is -9 (I don't know if that's with or without wind chill). And it's warmed up some. I would kill for it to be in the teens. If it was in the thirties I would be jumping for joy. That's warm weather right now.

DaleJr88AmpFan where do you live??? That's some place I don't want to visit. I need a smiley with a sign that says "I hate cold weather".
    I should run a experiment with this smiley :spitwater:. I could go on the balcony spit out some water and see if it freezes before it hits the ground...No, that will just make ice that I'm sure I'll fall on later.

15. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jan 15, 2009

Please, I wish! It was still snowing and the backroads hadn't been plowed when I left this morning (my hometown had a delay but the town I work in didn't). They would only cancel school because of the cold if the heat in the building wasn't working or the buses wouldn't start.

I think last year was the first time they ever did early dismissals because of the heat in June (no air conditioning).

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2009

Two hour delays today and tomorrow...wind chills in the negative teens here with temps. in the single digits. I'm originally from Wisconsin, so the fact that we're having delays for these temperatures just makes me smile :)

17. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

Early dismissal yesterday due to the weather with a planned 2 hour delay for this morning. That turned into cancellation at 6:40 this morning and we've already been canceled for tomorrow. But it is -12 currently with a wind chill of -35. We're a very rural town in FLAT Indiana so blowing snow and the cold is our biggest problem. I've got my lesson plan book and a BIG eraser to keep me company!

18. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 15, 2009

my hubby just told me my district is cancelled tomorrow. 4 day weekend! ....

AND I was only at school 2 days this week b/c of a hurt neck AND lol only have a 2 1/2 day next week b/c next friday is our records and reports inservice and we have an early release day. All my lessons are going to be out of sync and I won't see 5 classes now for 3 weeks!

19. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jan 15, 2009

We had classes today. I haven't heard anything about tomorrow yet. I do know that one of the counties to the west of us has already cancelled classes for tomorrow due to the extreme cold.

20. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

Man....we are supposed to go down to 12 tonight but we are still going to school. We are not use to this in Arkansas either!!!! Why can't we get out????

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

Where are you in Ohio? We are expecting ten below tomorrow, and 25 below with wind. I don't know if we will be closed or not; I feel like I am getting behind, with a group that already needs all the time we can get.

22. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

Columbus City Schools are closed tomorrow. Also, all of the surrounding schools are closed.
    TOO COLD!

This will be a problem for some schools. Several calamity days were used in September when a major windstorm caused by Hurricane Ike blew through here. Millions were without electricity.

23. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2009

School is closed tomorrow. I guess I get a five day weekend.

24. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

Some counties near me have a 2 hour delay, but not me. Regular school day although it is bitterly cold...well, bitterly cold by Alabama weather standards. :)