2015-2016 Jobs List

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by olivecoffee, Mar 10, 2015.

1. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 10, 2015

It's time to start searching for a job, if you haven't already started!

When you accept an offer or receive a contract, share the good news and all of the fun stuff!

What grade and/or subject?
    How long have you been trying?
    How many resumes did you send out?
    How many interviews or job fairs?
    What general geographic area?

I'm excited to star this year's list and celebrate everyone's new job, whether it's a brand new position, a transfer, or even a position out of the classroom!

Happy job hunting!

3. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 10, 2015

And, I'll be the first!

What grade and/or subject? Early childhood special education.
    How long have you been trying? Since I graduated in December.
    How many resumes did you send out? I think I applied to about 7 districts near by and e-mailed a handful of principals who had job postings.
    How many interviews or job fairs? 1 screening interview while I was student teaching and 3 official interviews. One of the 3 interviews came as a recommendation from my screening interview.
    What general geographic area? KS

4. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Mar 10, 2015

What grade and/or subject?6th grade math
    How long have you been trying? Just graduated in December, got settled and began searching since the beginning of February.
    How many resumes did you send out? I suppose I "sent out" 5 resumes, but I applied to roughly 20 jobs - the application contains a copy of my resume.
    How many interviews or job fairs? No job fairs. But I had 3 interviews at different schools and one scheduled that I will have to cancel ^_^
    What general geographic area? Las Vegas

I am beyond thrilled that I was offered the very subject/grade level that I wanted on my first year! Now to think about my classroom setup @_@

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 13, 2015

What grade and/or subject? Elementary SPED, most likely in primary grades, could be inclusion and/or resource
    How long have you been trying? 18 days
    How many resumes did you send out? emailed one, distributed several at a job fair, followed up the job fair by applying online to a handful of the schools whom had representatives at the job fair
    How many interviews or job fairs? one job fair with three screening interviews, one demo lesson/interview, one school tour, three interviews
    What general geographic area? Chicago

I never imagined I would find a job so quickly, but I guess that's what having experience in a high-needs field will do for you. I am thrilled.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 14, 2015

Congratulations olivecoffee, catface, and bella! I got my current dream job March 10 of last year, and I'm thrilled to see jobs popping up at this time of year now! Here's hoping the jobs you've gotten are as amazing for you as mine has been for me! :)

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2015

Three jobs already and we are only at spring break!

8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Mar 14, 2015

What grade and/or subject? elementary special ed, most likely emotional/behavioral
    How long have you been trying? since I finished my undergrad in May of 2014
    How many resumes did you send out? Whew, man. I lost count after a while. Somewhere between 50-100, easily. I've applied to pretty much every special ed or elementary ed opening in this region over the last year.
    How many interviews or job fairs? Job fairs, three. One local, one that was local but featured districts from all over, and one out-of-state. Interviews, let's see... Five for permanent positions, five for temporary positions (one of which I'm in right now).
    What general geographic area? Indianapolis

I guess I probably shouldn't technically post this yet because I didn't sign a letter of intent. We're in Buffalo right now and still hoping something will pop up here in the next couple of months. But the special ed director was totally fine with that and said that the second I called and said we were moving, she'd put something in the mail. ("Heck, if you move this weekend, I have a class you can have right now.") That's the benefit of having experience/wanting to work in a high area need, I guess. And honestly, we've already made the mental shift from "We really, really want to stay here" to "We'll be happier doing what we want to do even if it's somewhere else" so I suspect we'll make an official decision sooner rather than later.

Either way it's a relief to know that I'll definitely be teaching somewhere next year!

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2015

I guess it's time for me to spill the beans....

Middle & high school librarian
    How long have you been trying? I've been thinking about making the move into a non-classroom position for a couple of years, but this is the first year I actually buckled down and put myself out there.
    How many resumes did you send out? I applied to schools within my district during the early transfer season, so I didn't have to send out resumes. I just clicked "Apply" in the system. I applied for about 5 jobs this way.
    How many interviews or job fairs? I had three interviews, two of which turned into offers. I declined one offer and accepted the other.
    What general geographic area? Southwest

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2015

I figured that was the direction you were headed after some of your recent posts :hugs:

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2015

:haha:

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 15, 2015

AMAZED that this is starting so early and positively!

13. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Mar 26, 2015

My first job out of college!

I'll be heading to grad school this fall in ECE and need to be working full time in a classroom to qualify. I got really lucky to find a position quickly and am so excited!

What grade and/or subject? Elementary instructional assistant
    How long have you been trying? About two months (I graduate this August)
    How many resumes did you send out? 15
    How many interviews or job fairs? 3 interviews, 1 job fair
    What general geographic area? Georgia

:2up:

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 26, 2015

Congratulations, allaphoristic! Stick around and make sure to ask a lot of questions. There are a ton of ECE teachers here (I am absolutely not one of them).

15. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Mar 26, 2015

Congratulatons, allaphoristic!!

16. allaphoristic

allaphoristic Companion

Mar 26, 2015

Thank you both! I will definitely be using these forums as a resource over the next many years!

17. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 26, 2015

Congrats to all! I hope I'll be in this list soon. I have no idea what, where, which I will be doing next year.

18. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Apr 13, 2015

I can't believe I am filling this out! I remember following this thread in summer of 2013 and 2014 wishing I could be apart of it! Now I am! Woohoo!

I will be teaching math at the middle school level. Grade is still TBD (will be 6th, 7th or 8th)

How long have you been trying?

I have been in the process of completing all of the necessary things for my ACP for about 3-4 months. I formally started applying about 1 month ago

How many resumes did you send out?

I completed about 6 or 7 applications.

How many interviews or job fairs?

I had 1 interview

What general geographic area?

North Texas

19. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Apr 13, 2015

What grade and/or subject? Upper Elementary Special Education (Resource)

How long have you been trying? This has been my first year of teaching. My current position won't exist next year due to changing numbers in special education, so I was given a few options to consider for next year. I chose to take a resource position that would put me at one of the two schools I currently serve full time.

How many resumes did you send out? I didn't have to apply or send out resumes for anything. I confirmed on my letter of intent that I wanted to stay in the district next year and if possible would like to be at one school full time instead of traveling between two.

How many interviews or job fairs? None. I just had a meeting with our EC director and he explained my options. Took a few days to think it over before I made up my mind.

What general geographic area? The South

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2015

I've had a not great situation this year that I haven't posted about because I don't want anyone to recognize me. I even considered moving, but I just found a position. I'm very nervous-I don't like changing and being the new person, but I think I need to leave the situation I'm in.

What grade and/or subject? General music K-5

How long have you been trying? Since the end of January

How many resumes did you send out? Applied to at least 20 districts, with multiple positions applied for in each district.

How many interviews or job fairs? Attended 11 interviews and turned down 3 interviews.

What general geographic area? Midwest

21. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Apr 16, 2015

What grade and/or subject? 5th grade

How long have you been trying? Since January when I got licensed

How many resumes did you send out? Hard to say, but close to 50

How many interviews or job fairs? A total of 6 (but 3 of them were for the 1 job I just accepted)

What general geographic area? Ohio

Just some words of encouragement for those still looking: If I can do it, you can too, seriously! I consider myself to have terrible interview skills, but by staying persistent and practicing my answers I was able to impress a panel enough for them to offer me my dream job! Stay positive and keep your ultimate goal in mind. It will happen when and where it's supposed to happen. I've always believed that, but even more so now. Don't lose hope!

22. cozycat

cozycat Rookie

Apr 19, 2015

I mostly lurk here, but I'm excited to share my news none the less. I can't share it past my close friends and family in my life at this moment because I'm still waiting on the official offer letter - though I've been assured that the verbal offer (which I got during the interview) will not change.

What grade and/or subject? Multiple Subjects - not sure what grade yet. It's a new school so once fully staffed, they'll look at everyone individually and figure out assignments. I gave my preference as K-3.
    How long have you been trying? I've been actively job hunting since the beginning of March.
    How many resumes did you send out? 42. 12 on EdJoin, ~30 at job fairs.
    How many interviews or job fairs? 2 job fairs, 3 interviews. The first job fair I went to I got all three interviews from, the second one I felt was a waste of time.
    What general geographic area? Bay Area, California

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 19, 2015

Congratulations, cozycat! Stick around and uncloak.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2015

Congrats to everyone!!!

25. andstuff

andstuff Rookie

Apr 27, 2015

GOT THE CALL TODAY!!!!!! Out of all the interviews I have had this one is the closest to where I currently live in my ideal school district.

What grade and/or subject? --- 6th-8th grade science
    How long have you been trying? --- Since May of 2014
    How many resumes did you send out? --- Way to many to count. Counting all applitrack and actual snail mail/ emailing resumes... probably 1-200
    How many interviews or job fairs? 1 job fair and 2 interviews last year. This year 4 interviews
    What general geographic area? IL

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 27, 2015

Hurray! Keep those scientific minds curious!

27. ACinTexas

ACinTexas Rookie

Apr 29, 2015

I'm also mostly lurking, but am excited to share as well. Hopefully this will give some encouragement to others still looking out there.

What grade and/or subject? --- 2nd grade generalist
    How long have you been trying? --- about 3 weeks
    How many resumes did you send out? --- Applied to about 13 positions through applitrack.
    How many interviews or job fairs? 2 jobs fairs (3 job fair interviews), 2 in-school interviews
    What general geographic area? TX

I ended up getting an offer at my second job fair, which I happily accepted.

This is my first teaching job and I have zero experience of any kind in education (20 years experience working).

Although I was only officially looking for a few weeks, I did spend a huge amount of time (~15 hrs/week) gathering information and preparing for the job fairs and interviews. Think about how you will answer certain questions (research and take notes if necessary) and know that you WILL have to answer the following question in a way that is informative and appealing and explains why you are in teaching: "Tell me a little bit about yourself."

To anyone going through an AC program, don't be discouraged; to anyone thinking about it, don't be afraid that nobody will hire you! If this is your dream go for it! :)

28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 29, 2015

Congratulations! Your career experience will be perfect for real-world application of classroom learning. Stick around, especially in any threads labelled "New Teachers", and start your own if your questions aren't being answered.

29. eowensteach

eowensteach Rookie

May 1, 2015

I Got the Job!!!

I graduated last May and at the last minute got a job offer at a charter school. This year I started looking again and I got a Job in the district that I love
    What grade and/or subject? --- 6 th Literacy ( could also be social studies)
    How long have you been trying? --- Since April 2015
    How many resumes did you send out? --- Way to many to count.
    How many interviews or job fairs? last year I had 4 interviews this year I had 3
    What general geographic area? OH

I am so excited to start my new journey!!!

30. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 1, 2015

Wonderful! Where are you in Ohio? I'm smack in the middle.

31. Teppiedoo

Teppiedoo Rookie

May 10, 2015

I GOT A JOB!!!!!

I will be teaching a grade 3-5 combo SPED class in LAUSD. I am currently a gen ed teacher who will be participating in an internship to earn a SPED credential. Essentially, I'll be teaching full-time and going to school.

I got into the internship in January and have been looking for a position since then (you have to find a principal who will hire you). I sent out at least 20 emails which only resulted in one interview...but the interview went great and I got the job :)

32. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 11, 2015

It occurred to me that we hadn't created the annual list of the new teachers. Here we are, and we haven't even finished this school year!

1. olivecoffee, Early childhood special education, KS
    2. CatfaceMeowmers, 6th grade math, Las Vegas
    3. bella84, Elementary SPED, Chicago
    4. heatherberm, elementary special ed, Indianapolis
    5. Caesar753, Middle & high school librarian, Southwest
    6. allaphoristic, Elementary instructional assistant, Georgia
    7. horned_Frog89, middle school math, North Texas
    8. cupcakequeen, Upper Elementary Special Education (Resource), The South
    9. FarFromHome, General music K-5, Midwest
    10. K-5_teacherguy, 5th grade, Ohio
    11. cozycat, Multiple Subjects, Bay Area, California
    12. andstuff, 6th-8th grade science, IL
    13. ACinTexas, 2nd grade generalist, TX
    14. eowensteach, 6th Literacy ( could also be social studies), OH
    15. Teppiedoo, 3-5 combo SPED class, Los Angeles

33. MullerMusings

MullerMusings Rookie

May 15, 2015

I finally get to add to this list :D

What grade and/or subject? 3rd grade
    How long have you been trying? 6 months
    How many resumes did you send out? ~25 or so
    How many interviews or job fairs? 9 interviews
    What general geographic area? Midwest

34. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

May 15, 2015

Grade: Kinder
    Looking: I began looking in March for positions closer to home as I currently commute 45 miles each way with my two little boys in tow.
    Resumes: around 20
    Interviews: 3
    Area: Arizona

35. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 16, 2015

Woohoo! I'm happy to maintain this list this year.

16. MullerMusings, 3rd grade, Midwest
    17. mkbren88, kindergarten, Arizona

36. MissM920

MissM920 Rookie

May 19, 2015

What grade and/or subject? pre-k special ed (Autism)

How long have you been trying? 2 months, 3 weeks of REALLY looking hard.

How many resumes did you send out? 7 on school spring, 2 by email, 3 by applitrack

How many interviews or job fairs? 4 intreviews, 1 second round. all within the last week

What general geographic area? Greater Boston Area

37. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 20, 2015

Considering the school year is still on for most of us, this is a great start:

16. MullerMusings, 3rd grade, Midwest
    17. mkbren88, kindergarten, Arizona
    18. MissM920, pre-k special ed (Autism), Greater Boston Area
    19. PallasAthena, high school physics and math, Phoenix, AZ area

38. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

May 20, 2015

Good Year for me

I interviewed in four districts this year. I was offered three jobs. I have been offered in the past year about eight jobs. Five were in teaching. My problem this year was to many opportunities and directions. Never has happened before.

Needless to say at age 50. yes the big 50 having all this opportunity amazed me.

Middle School - Math and Science. I have 10 years teaching and taught MS math once. I am HQT in both.

How long - Depends on how we count it . . . since the start of the season in Jan.

How many - about a dozen.

Number of interviews 4.

Area upper midwest; where winter is coming.

39. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 23, 2015

I've interviewed in three job opportunities and two districts for about two months. I will be doing dual language for 6th grade. I had so many paths to choose but chose to be part of a new concept school. Im excited about this new adventure and look forward to the challenge.

North Texas area.

40. WISpanishELL

WISpanishELL Rookie

May 26, 2015

What grade and/or subject? High School Spanish (Spanish and ELL certified K-12)

How long have you been trying? 1 month of truly applying

How many resumes did you send out? about 25 including job fairs

How many interviews or job fairs? 4 interviews, 3 more that I ended up cancelling after getting my offer, and 1 job fair (was all ready to go to a second one, but used that day off to meet the superintendent of my new district instead!)

What general geographic area? Wisconsin

41. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 29, 2015

Congrats to all the new teachers or those going to new places! Have a great 2015-2016 school year!