Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WhatchaDoin?, Apr 21, 2010.

1. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 21, 2010

Anyone else having kids worried about the end of the world? My son is a mess, and I don't feel like I'm doing very well at easing his mind. Anyone have a good insite or suggestion?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

My kids see it mostly as a joke.

But we're Catholic. If I really did believe that the world was going to end next year, I would have to spend the rest of my time on this planet helping all those I could, and being the kind of person I know I should be.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2010

It is what it is.

Okay, so that probably won't soothe his worries. If you are a Christian who believes the Bible is to be taken for face value, could you guide him through the verses that deal with end times? Well, on second that, maybe just focus on the "theif in a night" promise?

-If this doesn't apply to you, then...let me think.

5. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 21, 2010

I've already gone the "thief in the night" route...now he's worried about death in general. He's seven, and not really had to deal with death, yet - thankfully.
    I think some of the kids at school are talking about it, I've even heard one local "church" is supporting the idea. He's anxious by nature, so I'm pretty careful about what he sees and hears at home. I did find a good Nat. Geog. article that debunks the myth. I might try that, if he brings it up again.

He cried himself to sleep tonight :(

6. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 21, 2010

As a teacher, you're already doing this:thumb:

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2010

No, I mean in the more personal sense-- giving more to food banks, donating more to charity in general, and so on.

I think I'm a decent person. But if I really thought I was staring Judgement Day in the face, I'm pretty sure I could find some areas of improvement.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2010

I think we all could, Alice. I know I can.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2010

I'm not sure what to say about 2012. The Bible says no one knows the day or time, but it sounds like you have explained that. Personally, I find it to be just like the year 2000 hype. Everyone thought the world was coming to an end then.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2010

Aww, poor kid, I feel for him BubblySub. Kids shouldn't be obsessing over that kind of thing. I don't have kids, but my BF casually talked of it last week. Our conversation started when we were discussing the recent movie 2012. Has anone seen it BTW?

I admit it is a tiny worry in the back of my mind because there's still so much more I want & need to do in my life.

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 21, 2010

You might want to mention to him that it talks about in the Bible that not even Christ knows the hour... so if not the "Son" how is it that the Aztecs and Hollywood are such know-it-alls and want to push a particular year---as IF they know.

It also talks (in the book of acts...after christ ascended there were people who just stood or spent time watching the skies...until they were finally told... PLEASE, go about your business. THAT is what is wanted. Do what you do as if for God and not for man.

So... wouldn't it make sense that God wants us to be productive, helpful, and happy...rather than worrying about the false rumors that MAN made up...for WHATEVER reason they originally came up with.

i REFUSE to watch/go see ANY dooms day-crap. I am not comcerned about the END times, but my God Blessed NOW-times.

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2010

YES!

But they use it as an excuse for not turning in work.
    I say well its 2010 and if thats true we have enough time to do our work ---maybe even more maybe I should assign more work to make up for the lost time. They quickly move on :haha:

13. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Apr 21, 2010

WELL SAID Mckenna! Took the words right out of my mouth and made them sound better :)

14. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Apr 21, 2010

I actually had a student do a persuasive speech on why the world ISN'T going to end in 2012. He was very convincing. Apparently the Mayans have calendars that extend beyond 2012 and current Mayans aren't even aware of the scare. That is if you trust a 16 year old...but he's pretty smart :)

15. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 21, 2010

This whole 2012 thing is just wishful thinking. We're not getting out of this mess that easy.

16. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 22, 2010

I would give them a rundown of all the times the end of the world has been falsely predicted. Humans have been "predicting" the end of time since the beginning of time.

17. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 22, 2010

I'm sorry...no child should have to think about that. How old is he?

18. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 22, 2010

He's 7. My daughters are also 7 and have never heard of the 2012 apocalypse. They know that societies need to have creation and after-life (and end times) stories because it's human nature to ask, Why am I here? If they asked about the 2012 thing in particular, I'd ask them two things: what evidence is there that it's true (none that I know of); and what specific fears do you have IF it were true (maybe it would kick off a discussion of death).

I'm sorry your son is so scared. I remember being scared of the stuff in Revelation when I was not much older than he.

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 22, 2010

You might ask him what he is scared of. He might be worried about how he can find you if something happens.

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 22, 2010

No suggestions, but I thought the world might end in 2000. I was really freaked, for some reason. I remember sitting in the computer lab (senior in high school) and a bus rumbled by. I almost jumped under my desk, as I thought it was a huge earthquake or something. Irrational, but still there. So I sympathize with your kids.

21. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 22, 2010

Not that I disagree with you, but how is this different than Revelations? Kids all over the world are taught about that every Sunday.

22. glen

glen Companion

Apr 22, 2010

My son has mentioned it- the date given will be his 18th birthday. I told him, too, that so many people thought the world would end in 2000 and that didn't happen. He's also old enough to understand and, thankfully, has the personalilty to accept that there are some things that you can't change and worrying won't help.

Maybe for a seven year-old there is a way to help him feel empowered, much like a dream catcher does for nightmares or glitter spray for monsters.

23. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 22, 2010

Thanks, all! A lot of good suggestions - I'll use a little bit of a lot of them!

I have been using this as an opportunity to discuss our faith. I don't discuss a lot of Rev. with him - it's so deep and open to interpretation, that, I worry I don't quite "get it."

Whenever I can, I like to back our faith up with science. It might be putting my head in the sand, so as not to offend anyone, but I really think there is a place for both in an intelligent and God loving person. I was thinking about how to prove the doomsday prediction wrong, but I love the suggestion about reversing the perspective - How can the doom and gloom people proove that they are right?

I also like the suggestion to give him a feeling of empowerment. The actual date is 12/23/2012, right? That's a Sunday, so it may be comforting to him to know we will spend the entire day together.

24. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 22, 2010

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

25. glen

glen Companion

Apr 22, 2010

I think the date is 12/21, but I could be wrong.

I told my son the same thing-we'll all face it together. For your son, I would also focus on the word 'myth'. A lot of the info you can find on the idea uses the term 'doomsday myth'. Comparing it to some of the myths he is familiar with may be a way for him to understand that it is not fact.

26. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 22, 2010

Man, I am glad my kids aren't old enough to think-worry about this stuff. I think your plan is great.

27. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2010

How would a 7 year old hear that the world was gonna end soon and not be told it is nonsense? If an adult told my little kid that they would get an ear full.

28. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 22, 2010

He heard it from a classmate. I'm not sure if the teacher heard - may have been lunch or recess. Not sure who told the classmate.

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2010

The movie last year with it's commercial probably didn't help either. I know we all try to prevent our lil ones from seeing things, but sometimes it comes on before you realize it!!!

Hugs to you Bubbly & your son!!!

30. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2010

31. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2010

I saw a great movie once--can't think of the title--in which two characters are sitting on top of a house. One is a science professor, the other is a student. The professor is asked whether he believes in God. He replies something along the lines of "I believe that there is a mountain of knowledge out there that we have not even yet begun to understand. But when and if we ever get to the top of the mountain, we will peek over it and find the face of God looking back at us."

There is room for both science and God in my world. And perhaps a better way to say it is that they are the same.

32. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Apr 25, 2010

My son mentioned the 2012 thing because other kids at school were talking about it. At home, I emphasize rational, logical thought and inquiry. I simply explained that the 2012 thing is an urban myth based on a misunderstanding of the Mayan calendar; there's no scientific evidence that the world will end. I told him that the students who believe that the world will end in 2012 are being silly and he should ignore them. That seemed to do the trick.

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 25, 2010

I hate to admit this, but this is the first I've heard about this topic (2012 being THE END).

34. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

May 14, 2010

I just watched the movie tonight and it said in the beginning of the movie that it was for entertainment purposed only.......realistic fiction people! What a great way to teach about genre!

35. bros

bros Phenom

May 15, 2010

I believe it was calculated as December 21st 2012 because that was the farthest they bothered to work out their lunar calendar to.

It's similar to the year 2038 problem in computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Basically it is when the time-keeping system computers use now reach the ceiling in the current 32-bit architecture (Most computers are 32-bit and now a lot of them are starting to change to 64-bit, averting the problem)

It is simply a calculation error.

36. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 15, 2010

I teach special ed. and the middle school students are very concerned about it. Basically, the Mayan calendar has cycles. Their calendar ends in 2012 because thats when their calendar cycle ends. I ask the kids when the calendar on their cell phone ends, and ask them why it ends. They tell me they don't need to know which date March 5 (example) falls in 2075. Just like with us, they didn't see the practicality of extending the calendar.

This is grossly oversimplified, but after I told my students that, they weren't scared anymore.

37. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 15, 2010

I was just about to post the same thing! So much for my cultural literacy, huh?

38. iinko

iinko Guest

May 16, 2010

:cool: I second this

39. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 16, 2010

This is what I've heard about the whole 12/21/12 thing. That this is the date that their calendar ends, but their calendars have cycles so this is just the end of the cycle. I've also heard that this will be a time of 'enlightment' and that we might be forced to go back to a simpler way of living...of course, this is coming from a History Channel show that gave all of the theories that are going around about 2012.

40. bros

bros Phenom

May 16, 2010

The History Channel likes to provide all views on things.

Even the view of the conspiracy theorists :p

41. sydneygirl

sydneygirl Rookie

May 17, 2010

Hubby and I joked that the movie was coming true the other day as we headed north out of Sydney. His motorbike was almost swallowed by the famous freeway gaps.:lol: