2012 Olympics thread

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by smalltowngal, Jul 29, 2012.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

So now that the Olympics are officially underway, what are some moments that you've enjoyed? Any surprises?

~I was upset that Michael Phelps didn't at least medal in his first race, but glad that Lochte won the gold.

~Loved seeing beach volleyball get underway with a 2 set win by Misty and Kerri.

~The men's gymnastics looked good too. I kind of felt bad for the Chinese men (ok, not really....just opened up the window for our guys!).

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

I was really disappointed to see the results of Lochte's race hours before it even aired out here on the West Coast. They were plastered all over a couple of the pages I subscribe to on Facebook and showed up in my newsfeed before I had a chance to look the other way. Ugh. I get it that these events are happening on London time, but I don't appreciate news sites spilling the beans on the results before we even have an opportunity to watch them. It's so disappointing and takes all the excitement out of it. I'm trying really hard to avoid any sites that might give away results, but that means basically avoiding everything, which isn't super realistic. I mean, the Facebook page that blabbed the Lochte results was US Weekly, not like NBC Sports or something. Blah!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2012

I was mad about that, too, Caesar. I accidentally saw the picture that Us Magazine posted of Lochte kissing his medal as well! I was so mad!

I don't understand why they are delaying things. London is only 5 hours off of New York time. I think they would do better to show the major evens (swimming, gymnastics, etc...) live and do recaps during prime time.

You can watch things live on NBC's website, but then I wouldn't be able to get other things done on my computer!

5. smalltowngal

Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, I checked Yahoo news and it the first story! It would just help if they buried it or made a note that spoilers were on the page. The one story did say spoiler alert, but you could tell what happened from the blurb.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2012

I am also mad that I woke up at 7am to watch gymnastics and swimming live and they only covered the cycling race. And the gymnastics started at 6am eastern! Boo! I would have slept for another hour or so!

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2012

I'm really annoyed that it's impossible to get on the website to view their streaming coverage without seeing spoilers--just because I'm watching something live now doesn't mean I watched everything live! It ruined the Lochte/Phelps race yesterday, and another big story today. Now I'm grumpy...

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2012

Oh, and the online feeds kept freezing up yesterday. :(

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

I also dislike the spoilers.

I was happy for Ryan Lochte; I have seen some info on his training regimen and he definitely wanted this race. I understand Phelps is a great swimmer, but I kind of like to see the goodies spread around.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

I'm also upset with the spoilers! I use GetGlue (it's a social media thing for what you're watching, reading, and listening to) and people were giving the results as they happened. :(

STG, I was also really heartbroken for the Chinese gymnasts. Poor guys. But OUR guys looked really good!

I've loved lots of little moments so far, but today the thing that really has stood out is our swim relay team. I didn't realize that the four guys swimming in our qualifying round would be different from the ones swimming tonight. I mean, that shows some real dedication and commitment to your team. Those guys swam as hard and fast as they could so they could bow out of the way and let the "superstars" hopefully take the gold tonight. That's what the Olympics are all about... you do your best every time, no matter what. Love that.

ETA: The man candy has been FANTASTIC this year! :wub:

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2012

Alright. I am OK with water polo. However, I just pulled up yahoo and saw 2 spoliers without clicking! If something major is happening in swimming and gymnastics, why is it not live?!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2012

I'm so glad Ryan Lochte is keeping his hair shorter :wub:

And I have always been in love with Jonathan Horton. I can even overlook him only being like 5'1" or something.

13. smalltowngal

Jul 29, 2012

Guess I'll be staying away from the news websites until tonight. I did find out one little thing, but the person that posted it said that NBC wasn't going to show it. I'll wait until later to post it, just in case they show it tonight.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

Watching the cross country horse....

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2012

I loved the women's soccer against Brazil. Great game. I was disappointed for Phelps, but happy for Lochte. Did you see the interview with Phelps' mother and two sisters? It was pretty funny. Evidently Phelps was an overactive little boy who was sent to the time-out bench at the pool quite often.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

Daisy..I didn't see that...but funny they told that story!!

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

Daisy, I did like that interview (although I'm still upset that Ryan Seacrest is there).

I watched a little bit of cross country this morning. Will watch it on replay tonight.

18. smalltowngal

Jul 30, 2012

Watching women's indoor volleyball now. I keep missing the horse competitions. Loved watching the gymnastics last night.

And I am REALLY proud of Dana Vollmer!

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

WTF happened to men's gymnastics?!

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

DH was watching the men's volley ball yesterday and saw Todd Rogers! He's from our neck of the woods. When we were in the states, his son was in my daughter's class. After winning in China, he came and took a picture with each child in the class holding his medal. I still have that picture.

21. smalltowngal

Jul 30, 2012

That's awesome, Tami.

dgp~shhhh!!! They're supposed to show it tonight!

22. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

They haven't aired it yet here! Uuuuuuggghhhhh!!!

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

Eek sorry, everyone! I find I can't escape seeing results! They're actually discussing that right now on the radio!

24. smalltowngal

Jul 30, 2012

I'm staying away from the news websites too so I don't see any spoilers.

Did anyone see the Chinese women's gymnastics last night? I felt bad for those girls. They looked like the men.

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2012

I missed the Chinese women's gymnastics. I'm assuming I can catch anything I missed on Comcast on demand.

The less I see of Ryan Seacrest the better.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Fo' sho'. My hoosband just can't stand him. I don't find him quite as irritating but honestly would prefer a real journalist.

27. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

I'm a swimmer so I have lots of swimmer friends on facebook and everyone is talking about how Phelps sucks because he got 4th (not saying you're saying this). But since when is FOURTH IN THE WORLD disappointing? Are we so focused on winning that being fourth is a shame? Plus, the 400 IM is a TOUGH race and he didn't train for it. And he still got 4th. The dude has 17 medals, 14 gold. He's got nothing left to prove. He's an awesome athlete and if you ask me, he's still got a little Olympic magic left. I hope he does well in his next events.:cool:

But I've been watching Olympics pretty non stop. I've seen: swimming, archery, handball, volleyball (beach and court), gymnastics, shooting, basketball, water polo, diving (lame!:rolleyes:), cycling, rowing, judo, sailing, and boxing. My poor neglected boyfriend is taking it pretty well... I keep telling him it's only for two weeks every two years!:whistle:

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

I was watching women's gymnastics last night and I was surprised to find out how they determine who gets to compete in the all-around. It's the top two competitors from each country, not the top 24 scores. This is unlike other events, say like swimming, where if you get one of the top scores, you get to go to the finals. I think that it's kind of sad that you could earn a 3rd place score overall but not make it to the finals because the first two scorers are from your own country. Doesn't seem fair.

29. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

Totally agree. On NBC they interviewed the old coach of Kerri Strug and he was furious about the rules. He said the top 24 should go to finals, which is what makes sense. That one poor girl was devastated she didn't make it. When she's obviously in the top 5 of everyone there. Just so happens 2 of those top 5 are on her team. It's awful.

30. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

I completely agree as well! Jordyn Wieber is the gymnast that was shut out of competing for the all around for the US- she placed third overall (underscored in my humble opinion!). She's from Michigan and has ties to the university I went to so I have been rooting for her.
    But regardless- she is the reigning world champ! Unbelievable that she gets no shot at all around simply because she has awesome teammates. Doesn't make sense that 19-20 other girls who had lower overall scores get a shot and she doesn't. I felt really bad for her after Ali Raisman's scores were announced.
    I am looking forward to watching the team compete for gold though- I will be staying away from any potential spolier sites tomorrow!

On another gymnastics note, did anyone catch this last night showing Ali Raisman's parents watching her bars routine? It is so funny- they are obviously her number one fans!
    http://gawker.com/5930003/you-have-...ns-hilarious-parents-react-to-her-bar-routine

31. smalltowngal

Jul 30, 2012

lucy~I'm not saying he sucks and I'm not disappointed that he got 4th in that race. I just know from seeing his reaction that he's disappointed in himself and I really hope that he does come up with the medals that he needs to become the most decorated Olympian.

Caesar~I was under the assumption that this is the first year that they are doing it this way. I think it's rubbish!

32. smalltowngal

Jul 30, 2012

Rebecca~they had me cracking up!!

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Have those always been the rules? Crazy.:eek:hmy:

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

No, I think it's a recent change and apparently not well loved by the nations with a strong program.

Bella Karoli was interviewed this afternoon and he didn't think much of it.

Obviously, it's designed to prevent one nation to totally monopolize the podium-- think back to the days when the Romanians and the Russians ruled women's gymnastics.

But this isn't Little League-- the point isn't to give everyone a trophy for showing up. It's to reward those who are the best at their sport-- and that means that the TOP competitors should get to compete.

35. smalltowngal

Jul 30, 2012

Agreed, Alice!!

Loving the diving so far! Can't wait to watch Misty/Keri dominate again tonight.

36. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

Those synchronized male divers from Mexico were awesome!

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

They certainly were!

38. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 30, 2012

I'm not a huge follower of the Olympics, but I've watched some of the swimming and gymnastics.

The only thing that I've noticed is how critical the commentators are, especially with the gymnastics.

39. smalltowngal

Jul 30, 2012

band~I couldn't believe some of those dives they were doing!

I love watching Misty and Kerri play. They give me a heart attack sometimes, but they never let their nerves show.

40. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

The divers scare me to death. I remember watching a diving event once (can't remember who or when) in which the diver hit the platform. I'm always afraid they'll do it again!

41. smalltowngal

Jul 30, 2012

I always hold my breath band!