$200 debit cards

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Caesar753, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

Our district is giving a $200 pre-paid debit card to each teacher next year. We'll get them in the end of September or the beginning of October, well after the back-to-school sales.

Our school provides all our teacher supplies (post-its, staples, paper, pens, etc.) but we need to fill out requests for class sets of anything. Our school also gives each teacher a budget of about $1,000 to spend each year on classroom items--posters, videos, books other than textbooks, whatever.

My question for you all is what would you purchase for your classroom with $200?

I'd like to spend it on supplies for crafty-type projects and class sets of supplies like more scissors, markers. Any other suggestions?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 11, 2007

I can't give you any advice because I'm too busy plotting how to steal your job... LOL! Wow! Your district really does a good job of supplying you with what you need!

Seriously, can you use them for magazine subscriptions maybe? Or do you get that, too? You can use class sets of magazines for quick reading or use the pictures for collages.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

Magazine subscriptions! I always forget about those.... I've been wanting a subscription to National Geographic and some archaeology magazines. Thanks for the reminder!

Seriously, I think our school is extra good to us about supplies because our school is... tough. We are located in the heart of Gang Central, basically. Lots of gang violence, tagging, and drugs. Our kids are a handful. I'm sure that the administrators look at it like if it takes a few packs of post-its to keep us happy, they'll do it.

5. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 11, 2007

Wow you get double what we get here in Georgia. We get ours during the last week of school in July so we will have it before the back to school sales the last week of August. Maybe you could buy projects from Oriental Trading for the kids to do for Christmas, Mother's Day, Father's Day and to go along with themes. I am still awed by the $1000 teacher budget. That's amazing. We don't get anything.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

I would prefer to get the debit card during the last weeks of school so that I'd have it handy for the back-to-school sales, but I'm not going to whine about that. It's free money!

I've never ordered anything through Oriental Trading except some paper mosaic squares. Do you know if they sell seasonal stuff out of season? Like, could I buy Valentine's Day stuff in October?

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jun 11, 2007

Go to their website and check their "clearance" supplies.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jun 11, 2007

Its too bad that wal-mart doesn't do lay a way anymore, you could get all the back to school stuff on sale....... and pay it all off when the card came. I like the craft idea.

9. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I am a reading teacher so I would purchase as many new and upcoming titles for my classroom as possible. I think it is awesome your county gave you this in addition to a supply order of every day items! I am so jealous!

10. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 11, 2007

I'm in Nevada, but not that lucky! Are you in Clark County? I know that several schools in Clark are much more difficult than a lot here in Washoe, and Clark is hurting more than we are for teachers. Just curious. :)

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

Yep, I'm in CCSD. How do you like Washoe?

12. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jun 12, 2007

There are a lot of things I like about Washoe...but then again I just got my position at the end of May and won't start until August. Overall, they are fair to their teachers (though of course there is some site-based stuff that isn't fabulous), but my administrator is awesome.

How's Clark?

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2007

I really like CCSD. There's the usual red tape and incompetency here and there, but in general I've been really happy. I love, love, love my school and feel like I've had a great first year experience there.