20 more days...

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Zelda~*, May 1, 2010.

1. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 1, 2010

The dramaz are everywhere in my classroom (and school!) right now. :rolleyes:

I'm having to come down hard on some of my students, which makes my anxiety students (I teach ED) fret about their own behavior, and I have to reassure them that they're fine--:dizzy:

Is everyone else seeing "End of the Year Burn Out" in their students?

That being said, it has been a fairly fun year. :)

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

May 1, 2010

absolutely. they've completely given up. I'm having a horrible time managing some behavior which I just learned is causing some anxiety with another student who doesn't have the behavior concerns. can't wait until it's over.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 1, 2010

Well yeah, now that you mention it, I've seen a decline in behavior in my students as well. We have 21 more days. I'm just going to go ahead and teach as usual. My para wanted to start tearing the room down early! I told her no way. The kids can help us tear down and pack on the last day. OOH that reminds me - - I have to start saving boxes!!

5. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

May 1, 2010

zoomzoomzoom, you are teaching them life skills by having them pack boxes LOL

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 2, 2010

Exactly! :haha:

7. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

May 2, 2010

in fact by packing up boxes you are teaching:
    work skills
    life skills
    sorting objects by function/subject
    counting objects as they put them in the boxes (basic math)
    recognizing the words on the boxes and putting the right items in the right boxes (literacy)

LOL

8. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

May 2, 2010

Gosh now you've got me thinking about actually planning a short unit about "moving!" What a good idea! :woot: Heck, that way I could start packing the day before. :whistle:

9. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

May 2, 2010

using boardmaker you could make labels of subjects etc. (how you want the items to be sorted into the boxes). The students could count how many of each item was in the box and write it on the box. (print pictures of items that you have and tape them to the box you want them in and put a line under it for the students to fill in how many there are in that box.

or you could have students sort objects into containers with the correct picture on it and then write the number of items on the container and then in the future the container can go right into the box. You could learn about recycling (science/social studies), by recycling old paper that you don't need anymore.) This could teach the concept of full, empty, heavy, light, big, little, more, less etc.