2-yr old is excited for school at home but cries all day

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by chltmom, Sep 30, 2010.

1. chltmom

chltmom New Member

Sep 30, 2010

I'm a new TA in a class of young 2's in a 2 day/week program. One of our boys cries and screams each day for most of his time in school. Yet his mom says he is excited for school at home, talking about his classmates and teachers daily. He tells his mom to "hurry so he can get to school." He is excited and chatters in the car all the way to school. But the moment he walks through the doors in the morning, his tears and tantrums are non-stop. We have tried holding him, ignoring him and re-directing him. Nothing helps. Any thoughts?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2010

Poor baby is probably terrified. He loves the idea of school, but is intimidated by the reality.

Think of all those kids (my 3 included) who LOVED Santa but were terrified to sit in his lap.

Is there any way mom could be a quiet presence in the back of the room for a few weeks until he gets a bit more acclimated? Or that you could call mom every hour and let him say hi, just so he's reassured that she's still around?

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 30, 2010

Try blowing real bubbles with him. Can't cry and blow bubbles at the same time. Maybe have him bring something of comfort from home, even a t-shirt of mom's or her picture. If he screams the majority of the time he is there, he is just not ready.

5. chltmom

chltmom New Member

Oct 1, 2010

I love the comparison to Santa, so true. And I like the idea of having him call home. Thanks!

6. chltmom

chltmom New Member

Oct 1, 2010

I agree that he's probably not ready. Not sure we can convince mom of that, however. He did bring a "lovey" a couple of times and that did help-only cried half the day instead of the entire day. We just have to watch that others don't take his special item, then we have a whole new issue. Maybe we'll try that again.
    Thanks for the tip!