2 Year Old Class

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by lovely222, Aug 31, 2014.

1. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Aug 31, 2014

I took an offer to teach in a 2 year old class and I believe that I have made a huge mistake. :lol: I have never worked with 2 year olds before. I have mainly worked with prek4.

I have a group of 11 2 year olds and I am the only teacher in the classroom. I have to change their pull-up every hour, even if they are not wet. I have a few 2 year old students who are new to the idea of being in a classroom and are not following directions well. How do you handle 2 year olds when you have to be four different places at the same time? I also feel like I spend my entire day changing diapers. lol But I love to teach and do not get to do a lot of it at all in this classroom.

I am so confused as to whether I want to stay at this center or look for a different job. I also have a director who comes in and out of my room (babying my students) throughout the day. Then all 11 expect me to do the same thing at the same time. She completely messes up the flow of what I am doing in the class because when she comes in they immediately stop what they are doing and go to her. Many of the people on the staff feel the same way I do. One day last week, she was not at the center and it was a much better day for me. She also compares me a lot to the last teacher who was in the room...OMG I really dislike to be compared to anyone else. That gets old and she does it EVERYDAY!

Please :help:

3. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Aug 31, 2014

Wow! It is not the two-year-olds that are the problem, it's the fact that your workplace is more concerned about saving money by scraping by with the bare minimum ratio than the well-being of the children. NAEYC recommends a maximum of a 1:6 ratio for this age group, and for good reason, 1 adult to 11 children necessitates survival mode and makes providing quality care very difficult. My advice would be to find a new job at a center that values it's teachers and children more than the bottom line.

In the mean-time, remember that two-year-olds are still toddlers. They are very capable, but they also still need a lot of support and can't necessarily meet the same expectations you would have for a class of 3 or 4-year-olds. If you haven't already, I would read up on the age group to get a better sense of what you can expect from them and what you can't. Choose your battles carefully, it's okay to let some things go and it will likely save your sanity. Minimize waiting times: if you plan to do a project with them, have everything set up before you call them over, wait until the food is nearly ready to go before having them sit down, etc. If you are having problems with circle time, try making it optional. Choose a very engaging activity and simply start doing it and chances are most of them will come on their own. Most of all, be patient, two-year-olds are wonderful but very stubborn creatures. ;)

I hope some of that helps. But really, if you can find a new center to work at, absolutely do. This one does not sound like a great work environment.

4. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Aug 31, 2014

Ok, I wouldn't stay at that center. There are too many other good positions in childcare for you to stay there.

1 to 11? Hmmph...you sure that is adhering to state ratio? In any case, that is a ridiculous ratio and I agree with the above poster. Don't expect to get anything done but changing diapers, feeding, and making sure they don't kill each other. Sorry, but it's the truth. Get another job ASAP. You will experience burn out quick.

5. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Aug 31, 2014

I was wondering that as well but after checking, it is actually a legal ratio in a few states and there are even a couple that are 1:12! Not quality care.

6. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Sep 2, 2014

I am going to call the state to find out tomorrow because I am unsure. Even if it is in ratio, I cannot believe that a center would allow that. Most of the centers that I have seen have two people in the 2 year old class.

7. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Sep 2, 2014

What state are you in? In the state of Illinois the ratio for that age group is 8:1. Most states range I think between 5:1 and 8:1 for child to teacher ratio. I would guess that you are probably undoubtedly out of ratio and that's something that you need to bring up with your director immediately because you could be held liable if CPS comes to visit.

Every center that I've ever words in has between two and four people in any room below the preschool room simply because it's easier when you have children who are still in diaper.

8. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Sep 3, 2014

I feel really bad for the children in this center! With a ratio so high there is no way that they could possibly get the care and attention that they deserve. Do the children in that center get to play outdoors or go for walks? I would start looking for something else immediately.

9. msaly

msaly Comrade

Sep 3, 2014

The ratio is high but not impossible. Ours is 1:9 until they are all 2.5 then it's 1:12. I would talk to the director and ask her to only come in if she needs to speak with you, or if she chooses to come in to not allow the children to get up from whatever they are doing. She might not understand whats shes doing. Also try your best to stick to the schedule so they have routine everyday.
    I've worked in the 2s room and its definitely not my favorite but after you get a routine set it's not so bad. The diaper situation (needing to change them when they are dry) is kinda crazy. My suggestion is potty train like crazy. You will be in the bathroom basically all day for a while but to have at least 1/2 in underwear will lighten the diaper duty a lot! Last year I had 21 2's (not at the same time) and I had 3/4 of them potty trained by October 1st. The rest by Thanksgiving. It's possible with lots of work!

10. skirch01

skirch01 Rookie

Sep 28, 2014

I'm really surprised that you have to change the toddlers every hour. I worked in an infant room where the rule for babies was every two hours.
    I can't even imagine being the only teacher for 11 2-year-olds! You must be exhausted.