2 Year Old Activities

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TxHopeful, Feb 25, 2008.

1. TxHopeful

TxHopeful Rookie

Feb 25, 2008

A good friend has a 2 year old daughter with a proud stay at home dad. (Go dad!) She is looking for some fun/developmentally appropriate activities they can do together in their home. Since the dad has some back problems she needs activities that are not too physical and hopefully not too messy.

I was thinking some gross motor skill work could be good, but I thought it best to go straight to the source and ask the experts. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks. :love:

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2008

Play doh is a big hit, fingerpaints luckily they have that color magic by crayola that's awesome, color magic markers, doodle pads or aqua doodles, mega blocks, books of course some with sparkles, pop up, or open flaps, Sidewalk chalk, kicking, rolling & throwing a ball.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 25, 2008

And of course reading, reading, reading. All kinds of materials. :)

5. SanDiegoCavallo

SanDiegoCavallo Rookie

Feb 29, 2008

Since she's only 2 years old, I think a great fun and educational resource would be wordless books. Wordless books are great tools for helping young children develop language basics, and they stimulate creativity at the same time!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 29, 2008

Painting sidewalks and fences with plain water is great fun in the spring and summer! It develops motor skills and as she is ready you can start to talk about lines and shapes. Walmart and dollar stores are great places to find cheap picture cards (flashcards) to encourage vocabulary development. When I taught toddlers we would look at the picture and say the word and add an action or sound of some kind to make it fun. For example, look at the dog, say dog, and say woof; look at the sun, say sun, and pretend to sunglasses on. You can also find simple puzzles from walmart and the dollar stores to work on at home.

7. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Feb 29, 2008

cds- Laurie Berkener, Sandra Boynton, Jim Gill - just to name a few

blocks

imaginative play

cooking together

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2008

Flour & water = glue but a lot of fun!!!!

Everyone's mentioned reading. Like the no words or very simple so they feel like they are "reading"!!!

9. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Mar 1, 2008

One of my kids' favorite things to do (convenient for me too) was to help me in my everyday tasks. So they helped clean the bathroom, helped peg out clothes on the washing line, helped sweep and dust and wash and dry dishes. The favorite had to be cooking though - very early on they would "help" (hinder really, but it was all good fun) me prepare veges and plan meals. They'd sit on my knee to roll biscuits and "read" recipes.

The best side benefit - they've made their own school lunches since they were five, and they have made at least one family meal a week since they were eight.

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2008

Puzzles! And weekly trips to the library are a plus! Many libraries have weekly events for those little ones who are at home.