2 weeks of review - ideas to make it interesting?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by robinsky, May 23, 2010.

1. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

May 23, 2010

Situation: 7th grade, getting ready for finals, 2 weeks devoted to reviewing the whole year. I can play games (though I find when I play games, I don't get as many topics covered - though the kids love it!), I can do partner quizzes, I can do worksheets. Anyone have other ideas on how to make reviews more interesting,e specially when it will go on for 2 weeks?

Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2010

I started review with my frosh on Friday, and I'll start with my sophs on Tuesday. Our final exam is June 11.

I'm not a games kind of teacher. It just doesn't suit my personality.

I do start off with the format. Then we do every problem on last year's exam.

What subject do you teach?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2010

In the past, we've done Jeopardy, Trivial Pursuit, and "I have.....Who has?"

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 23, 2010

How about making "foldables" to take home and study? What subject do you teach? We might be able to give you a few more specific examples.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 23, 2010

Do you have access to a class set of computers somewhere? You could make a bunch of little review games and let them play those.

7. robinsky

robinsky Rookie

May 23, 2010

I teach math. We usually use the same final from year to year, and all the teachers use the same one, so I can't use last year's questions (though I can certainly write similar ones!).

What is "I have ... who has?" And, what exactly are foldables?

Thanks for the responses!

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 23, 2010

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2010

I have...Who has is where students get flash cards with the concepts written on them. One student says "I have....a^2+b^2=c^2." Then the students have to think about what that goes to and the student who has the pythagorean theorem stands up and matches those two cards together.

10. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

May 26, 2010

Connect 4.

11. Lovely1

Lovely1 Rookie

May 29, 2010

How van you make computer games?

12. Lovely1

Lovely1 Rookie

May 29, 2010

How can you use connect 4?

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

May 29, 2010

I like the foldables idea. :D

I love to use games. You can make your own version of Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader. If you teach the same grade level you can have the classes compete against eachother. I love a game called Pass the Chicken (and yes it involves a rubber chicken). Students get into a circle except for a group who stands in the middle. A topic is thrown out and the students in the middle have to give a list of answers before the rubber chicken makes it around the outer circle. It is loads of fun! You can also create (or have students create) a 20 questions games with concepts.

You can have students create quizzes for eachother to take on material learned this year.

One of our teachers found a booklet template that had ever letter of the alphabet. Students had to write/ draw one concept per letter.
    :D

14. KateL

KateL Habitué

May 30, 2010

I played Bingo with the vocab words for the year. Give each student a blank Bingo card (a 5x5 table made in Word) and have them write the vocab words in the squares from a list you gave them. Then they put the cards in sheet protectors so they can mark the Bingo squares with a dry erase marker. You read the definitions of the words at random, and the students mark the words on their cards. The first person to get a Bingo gets a small piece of candy.

You could also play this game by giving them a series of math problems to solve. The solutions go on the Bingo squares. Students who don't get the correct solutions won't have any numbers to mark when you read them, so the students have an extra incentive to check their work and get the right answers.

15. snushed

snushed Rookie

Jun 2, 2010

I'm assuming by creating a grid of 7 x 6 and each box containing a different question. Students would take turns answering a question. They would try to answer the question correctly to block the other player from getting 4 boxes in a row? Just my... :2cents: