2 weeks and i dont know what to do

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MuckeyBusiness, Aug 10, 2010.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Aug 10, 2010

we get our new group of kids in a week and a half but we dont start back to school stuff until the day after labor day. what should i do with the new kids for two weeks until we start back to school?

3. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Aug 10, 2010

Why can't you start?

I guess I would work on getting to know them, settling into your routine, and teaching them how to use the room. What are your clean-up expectations? When and how do they use the bathroom? Moving from one part of the school to another. You can plan simple,open-ended art projects. Simple circle times with lots of movement and a story time. How does snack work?

These are just some off the cuff thoughts. Hope they help.

4. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

I would teach them school rules, procedures, and about different things in the classroom. I would also let them have some free play time so they can get to know eachother. You probably should also introduce them to different craft things such as sissors, glue, markers.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2010

I don't really understand the schedule but....

get to know each other, bond and have fun before the "work" begins.

6. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Aug 14, 2010

does anyone have any sharing games or different games for different rules in your classroom?

7. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

hmm...how about you have them bring a special toy from home to share with the class? This is kind of tough.

8. ScooterJen

ScooterJen Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

It's a very simple game/idea, but you can just pass a ball around or gently toss a ball around and whoever catches it has to answer a question. For example, you could say you are going to talk about your favorite color, and whoever gets the ball says their color then passes it to someone else. We do something similar with Willouby Wallaby Woo using a stuffed elephant toy and the kids love it. They want to play over and over again.

9. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Aug 14, 2010

This was a big hit with my kids this year. I did favorite food, color, animal, and toy. You could also have them say what color their hair and eyes are or something to that effect.

The first thing I did with my students was introduce them to the centers. We would walk, jog, crawl etc. to each center (to keep it interesting) and I would show the kids what there was to play with, as well as any applicable rules to go along with each center. This really helped me to start things off right. They immediately knew what was expected from them.

I also practiced rules and behavior with the kids by acting out scenarios with puppets and having the kids tell me if the puppets were breaking a rule, and how they could have handled things differently.

For friendship activities:
    I have mailboxes for all of my students so I had them pick names from a hat, and make pictures to put in each others box. The children loved getting their mail!

We also did a whole lesson on hands are not for hitting. I think this is an important one to start off the year with. Nip it in the bud... so to speak.

Here is a link to some of those lessons on my blog. http://preschool-mommy.blogspot.com/search/label/Classroom management

Hope that helps!