2 questions...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by clo_10, Jul 6, 2011.

1. clo_10

clo_10 Rookie

Jul 6, 2011

1. How can I get my 3-4 year olds to sit during circle time? I've tried a few things, but I have a rowdy bunch!

2. How can I get my kids to clean up? They don't respond to awards like stickers, hand stamps, or extra play time outside. They used to do a great job but now have become lazy!

3. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 6, 2011

1. Sometimes doing a movement activity or dancing before you sit down and during. Remember they are not going to sit very long.

2. Sometimes a challenge helps. Play some music and challenge them to have everything picked up by the time the song ends.
    It may take more than one song, depending on how messy the room is.

I hope this helps.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2011

An activity right before circle time, then a short circle with another activity during and after. Slowly increase the time again. It's so nice outside that they tend to lose what was taught.

5. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jul 6, 2011

OK, I hope I don't get blasted for this...but I'm pretty sure I got the idea for this from someone else on here anyway. Try gummy bears. I planned a lesson on the three bears, then gave each child three gummy bears which they COULD NOT eat until the story started. Worked like a charm.

I do it infrequently, but a little treat every now and then really helps! If you can relate it to the lesson, even better.

Now, for clean up, my group really responded to positive reinforcement. "I LOVE the way Johnny is cleaning up." Then I would write Johnny's name on the board. Ideally, everyone's name ended up on the board by the end, because they are all "Look at me, look at how I"M cleaning up!"

6. abcme

abcme Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

I make almost everything either hands on at circle time or musical. For instance, to teach the new letter of the week we see it, say it, touch it. sing it, find it and build it. I show them a large foam letter and then let them pass it around. We also have a CD with a song for each letter of the alphabet. A flip chart has the words to the song on it. After the song, the kids find that letter in the print. Then with popsicle sticks or pipe cleaners, they construct the letter on their own. They are almost always doing something! I also split my circle time into 2 different sittings. My younger ones just couldn't stay with me. I do morning greetings with number and letter stuff first and then later we regroup to do calendar, shapes, etc. Even calendar is set to music with days of the week and month songs.

I also agree that music helps clean up. Every class I've ever had loves "Freeze Clean". Like freeze tag, the kids clean up as fast as they can while the music is playing. I stop it and they must freeze. I do this a few times through the song. Of course, you can't do this everytime or it will lose it's effect! I just bought a cool bubble timer that they will have to race against for this year!

7. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jul 7, 2011

Ooooh - I love the idea of freeze clean! Definitely adding that to my bag of tricks!

8. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Jul 14, 2011

1. For circle time, I have my 3 year olds sit on poly spots. Each spot has a different picture on it, and the kids love picking what to sit on. We also do "Shake My Sillies Out" before circle.

2. For getting them to clean up, I picked a clean up song, and if they clean up before the song ends, they get to put something in our reward jar. When the jar is filled, they get a special treat, like have a picnic lunch, or cupcakes for snack.

9. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 24, 2011

1. Circle Time
    Lots of movement before (Jump freeze to a song. In other word play a very busy song ~ I love the cd's from Go Fish Guys ~ and they have to "freeze" when the song stops. IF there is a lot of rowdyness in the beginning the song plays longer before a "freeze" break. A busy finger play in the middle where the kids get to get up and move/shake. And end it with jumping! (At the end of the year, I had my class of 3 year olds ~well they were all 4 by the end of the year~ jumping 100 times! We counted to 100 and stopped at every 10'th place. A good way to wear them down!) One of the biggest complaints I have are kids who have NO MOVEMENT during the day, except playground time. It's time to get those kids up, working on those gross motors as often as possible!

2. Clean Up
    For the last four years I have used a timer. His name is "mr timer" and he is your standard kitchen timer. I simply tell the kids they have 5 minutes to clean up (after a 2 minute warning that when mr timer goes off it's time to beat him in cleaning up). IF they beat mr timer ~ he goes to time out! LOL They love it, and very rarely (Like maybe twice in a year) does he beat them. It's amazing how simple it works!! (Mr. timer is also the one who the kids "Tattle" too. He is muti talented!)

I don't reward the kids in my class for behaviors that are expectations. It is easy to do that yes, but why can't kids do what they are asked simply out of respect and obedience? There isn't enough of that , and the behaviors get worse every year. I tend to reward for "being caught making a good choice" rather then something I already expect. :wub:

10. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jul 24, 2011

I'm "borrowing" your ideas. They are GREAT!

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2011

-I always try to do a lot of active things during circle to keep them engaged including songs so they aren't just sitting and listening.
    -Be entertaining - keep your energy up.
    -Start with a short circle and build up.
    -Know when to give up and end it gracefully before they lose interest.
    -Engage them more than you nag them.
    -Evaluate what you are doing to see if it is developmentally appropriate or necessary.
    -Make sure you are reading good quality books that interest the children rather than just a book you could find to go with the theme.

In California, it is againist regulations to reward with candy and, like some of the others, I don't reward for expected behaviors except with my positive attention.

As for cleaning up, I play a song and their goal is to clean up before the end of the song. I model what I want by helping. We do not go on to the next activity until cleaning up is done whether it is snack or outside time or whatever. I don't really have a problem at my morning job.

At the afternoon job, we have some stubborn ones who won't clean up. We try lots of positive attention when they cooperate. If they don't, everyone else gets to stop and that child has to finish the job by him/herself. Do you have too many toys out? We had to reevaluate that.