2 interviews in 2 days!!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by daysy_may, Jul 19, 2005.

1. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 19, 2005

Ok, I haven't had any interviews at all this summer, returned from vacation on Saturday, and on Monday had 2 interviews scheduled. On Monday morning I e-mailed my resume for Director of Education for a Sylvan learning center about an hour away, they called me at 2, talked to me, then wanted me to come down at 4 for an interview. Then I called about a part-time position about an hour away, and I had the interview today at 11. I think the interviews went well, but I'm just not trying to think about it, to get my hopes up. :p At first I was worried I'm not qualified enough for the Sylvan job, but THEY called me, right? And right away. So wish me the best of luck with these. I should find out around Thursday on both of them! THANKS!

3. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 19, 2005

What questions did they ask you at the sylvan learning center? I am thinking about doing part time there. How much are they willing to pay?
    Just curious.
    thanks
    good luck to you I hope it turns out well

4. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 19, 2005

I don't know how much they'd pay for a teacher, for Director of Education, with bonuses first year is up to 30,000+

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jul 19, 2005

I worked at Sylvan part-time. I got paid less there than I did working in an office. Keep in mind wages are low in my area because we have a low cost of living + this was 7 years ago, but I made less than $6/hr. I made $6.50 working at an office at the time. They did give raises, however, and teachers who had been there a while were making around $10/hr I think. I'm sure it would depend on the location and management. It wouldn't hurt to look into it - I worked from 4-9 p.m. weeknights and 9-noon on Saturdays. The good thing about Sylvan is that there is no planning - Just show up and follow the regimine. Kids who go to Sylvan go through assessment before they start and a program is prescribed for them. Basically, they go through workbooks. I sometimes worked with high school kids who would bring in math homework and I would help them with that.

Good luck daysy_may!

6. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 21, 2005

Well, I should find out today, Thursday, (crossing fingers)! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jul 21, 2005

I also worked at a Sylvan for a summer (then I was hired full time.) I don't remember what I made per hour though. I did enjoy it. As Amanda posted, it was easy work as far as no planning. I mostly worked with the elementary aged kids and a couple middle-school aged kids. After working there for a few weeks I finally started having the same kids each day and that was really nice. You have to record everything they work on and how well they completed each task. It made it much easier to be the one following their progress, instead of lots of different teachers. You also have a 3-1 ratio which is nice. You'll never have to work with more than 3 kids at a time.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 21, 2005

I hope you find out good news today. Maybe you will be offered both jobs.

:)

9. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 21, 2005

Well the part-time one called today, they went with someone else, :( I called back and thanked them for thinking of me anyway, and to say I'd be interested if they had anything else open up.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2005

A friend of mine who has an Elem. Ed. Bachelors Degree and NO "paid" classroom experience is a director of education at Sylvan in my area. You are probably more qualified than you think. She actually started as just a tutor about 8 months ago and got promoted within to the director of ed. position. She likes it a lot, but she works a lot of late hours, sometimes til 10pm. Good luck though, hope you get what you're looking for :) .

11. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 24, 2005

Well, I called Sylvan on Thursday, just to see if they had everything they needed from me, or if they had anymore questions for me. They said everything was fine, that they were still interviewing that day and Friday, they would be making their decision and letting people know, and they would let them know on Monday. Well I checked my mail yesterday, and a letter of Sylvan was there dated for Friday. A letter is never good, they hired someone else. :( I was very upset, because know I am still left with nothing for next year, other than subbing. I don't know what to do anymore. Thanks for listening!

12. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 24, 2005

Daysy May, I am in the same position as you -subbing. I know subbing has its great days and bad days, but I would rather have my own room too. Don't let yourself get down, because it's all a matter of time before your wish comes true! You never know what tomorrow will bring. ;)

13. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Jul 24, 2005

DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!! I had been on plenty of interviews before I was made an offer...About three weeks before I was hired, though, I began feeling like you are feeling. My daughter looked me in the eyes and said, "Don't worry Mommy, they just don't know what a great teacher you are." It made me feel so much better. One week later, I had four interviews within two days. The confidence her words gave me must have made the difference, I was offered two of those positions! All I'm saying is, don't lose hope, be confident in yourself and all will be fine!!

14. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 25, 2005

Ack, I've been going on leads for other positions now and long-term sub positions, and the leads are no more, the positions have already been filled. I know I've asked this before earlier in the spring, but does anyone know of any last minute job fairs in the Missouri area?

15. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 25, 2005

BTW, thanks for all the encouragement you guys!!!

16. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 25, 2005

Thinking about everyone who is trying to find a permanent teaching position.

17. swren

swren Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

I know how you feel! I'll be subbing in the fall!!!

18. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 1, 2005

I finally got an interview on Thurs. It's my first one ever!

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

katerina congratulations! What grade level is the interview for?

20. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

Ok sorry I'm losing it katerina. I thought I had posted a reply yesterday but didn't see it. Now I realize I posted on a different thread. I saw you replied that you are interviewing for 6th to 8th grade language arts. The middle school level can be so much fun. My best friend has taught middle school language arts for the last 8 yrs. She loves it.

21. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 1, 2005

I am looking forward to have a great time IF I get this job.

22. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 1, 2005

ugh, It's August first today, and still no job.............

23. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Aug 1, 2005

I can't say don't worry daysy may, but there are always last minute openings. I posted on your other thread, but try www.moteachingjobs.com if you haven't already. My school is looking to hire a sixth grade teacher. I just don't know how SE you are in Missouri. I live in SW Missouri.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  24. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 1, 2005

My husband is so clueless about what we (those with no perm. position) are going through. When I got a call yesterday for an interview I ran to him and jumped up and down and screamed " I have an INTERVIEW" really loud. He was outside on the porch at the time. He was very happy for me, but later said, "gee, it must have really been on your mind a lot about getting a permanent teaching job." I was like "DUH" "I didn't just go through a million years of college so I could keep cleaning houses for a living." It took me about 10 years on and off and part-time because I have a son and he is LD,so I spent so much time helping him. I was 5 when I started and 17 when I graduated. Plus I switched majors, which wasted so much time.

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

Ok I am assuming you meant to say he your son was five when you started and 17 when you graduated. I took me a long time to graduate from college. I started at 19 and graduated at 26. I don't have any children. Now at 29 I am ready to start my career.
    Still no call today about an interview. Starting to get a little worried.

26. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 1, 2005

Oopps yes, sorry :eek: . that's hilarious! My son was 5 and is now 17.

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

Well I kind of figured you meant him. Then you could bee really smart and started college at five. LOL.
    I have wanted to teach kindergarten since I was about that age.

28. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 1, 2005

Me too, but no, I am am no genius.LOL

29. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

I'm not sure if your still interested in job fairs, but there is one friday at UMSL. Anyone can go, I think it's five dollars to get in and it lasts from like 9-1. Most of the schools will be doing on the spot interviews. It may be too far for you to travel, but I thought you might be interested! If you check out the website it will give you info on who's going to be there.

www.umsl.edu