2 hours bus ride

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newbie87, Feb 18, 2010.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

I was talking to a professor at my university about something and she got into where she used to teacher. I forgot which state. The local law there was if the commute to a school was 2 hours or less, a student could go to that school. I think the reason was there was a shortage of schools. So, this is my question, do you think a 2 hour ride, one way, is acceptable time for a student to travel to and from school? Would you let your child commute four hours a day to go to school?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2010

A couple of kids do it to my school and to my husband's... they sleep on the train.

I wouldn't want it for my own kids though.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2010

That is sooo crazy, a parent was at a board meeting in my district like last year asking for the distict to pay for a bus for her Kindergartener and like 2 other elementary kids who attend private school about 16 miles from us. (as it is now the district will provide bussing within 15 miles) She was asking for this and stating that bc they didnt she used a private bus company which she paid for, but since they picked up so many kids around the different areas that her kindergartener was on the bus for 1 hr 45 mins each way and that was unacceptable. In my opinion, it is her choice, she can drive her daughter herself or set up a carpooling system and they would be in a car for 20 minutes tops.

Anyway, I say no way! That is too long to have a child..or teen on a bus for. (I wouldnt even want to commute for that amount of time)

5. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

My brother does it. I think that it depends on the quality of the school and the needs of the student. In my brother's case, he goes to a special needs school, and considering our school district couldn't meet his needs and his current school can, yes it is worth it.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 18, 2010

Our district's first pickup of the day is a kindergarten student who gets on the bus at 6:20 every morning.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2010

My special needs son has had to do it several times in his school career because it was the only school that offered his program. The year he was in 2nd grade his commute time was close to 6 hours daily. Did I like it...no! But, the more I complained, the further away he was sent. Eventually, when I became a district employee myself, they miraculously were able to move his program to my school.

8. greengables

greengables Rookie

Feb 18, 2010

This is a problem at the school I went as a student. Part of the population was in an outlying, rural area and the trip took 1 hr 45 min. State law mandated no more that 1 hr on a bus. So the kids were taken to a halfway point and put on a different bus: technically, that satisfied the law- no one was on A bus for an hour. These students were seen as "difficult"-well, I would be difficult, too, if I had such a commute every day!

9. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

My nephew gets on the bus at 6:30am to get to school that starts at 7:45am. His parents choose this school, because it is the district magnet school for gifted students. I won't comment on the quality of services he's receiving in comparison to the school he is zoned to (and their gifted services) that would only take a ten minute trip, other than to say, let's look at the obvious sign of what would be best for him.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2010

Many of my students are on the bus at 5 AM. I think it's ridiculous. The thing is that our district is large--the entire county--and students are allowed to go to any school in the district, as long as they fill out appropriate paperwork (zone variance, etc.).

Some students might have a need for this. The general population, however, probably isn't. I really feel like kids shouldn't have to be on a bus for more than 30 minutes one way. The problem is that there might not be a good school, or even a school at all, within that distance.

In any event, yuck. I wouldn't want to be on a bus that long every day, twice per day.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2010

I think many private school kids make long commutes...2 hours is LONG though.

swansong: With budgets the way they are, I'd predict that the "sending districts" will soon find ways to accomodate more special needs kids 'in house' rather than paying to bus them and educate them elsewhere.

12. Toak

Toak Cohort

Feb 18, 2010

The school district I sub in now takes kids from the town up into the mountains if their parents choose it - that's over an hour drive for me, have no idea how long it is with stops (and the kids in the mountains go to high school in town).
    However, in that case, I'd say its definitely worth it because the school in town that most of those kids would be put in is horrific - even the teachers say it isn't a real school. Nearly impossible for learning to take place to any extent. And just two years ago a typical lunch period had 6 fist fights. No other school in the district is like that

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 18, 2010

No, I would not have wanted my kids to have a commute that long, nor would I want one. That's 10 hours a week away from home, 40 hours a month. No, I wouldn't want that on anyone's kids.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2010

I agree with you there. I have seen a change happening over the last ten years or so, especially as children with autism have been recognized more.

15. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2010

Presumably kids who have to travel this long live in rural areas? So people who feel strongly that their kids should not have to travel so long should live in cities?

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2010

In my city, it's not accurate to suggest that students who take such horrendously long bus rides live in the country. In fact, I'd say that easily 99% of the students at my school who ride the bus for that long live right here in the city. We have a big city and a big district, and it can easily take hours to get from one end to the other, especially having to make several stops and in rush-hour traffic.

17. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2010

Sorry I assumed that like us your kids go to local schools. In British cities it is rare for a kid to live more than 2 miles from their school unless the school selects it's students.