2 hour summer school classes

Discussion in 'High School' started by BerniceBobs, Jun 20, 2009.

1. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

Yesterday, I just received my summer school assignment; I am to teach two 2 hour English classes to Freshmen. There are 39 students on each of my rosters, and I have to remember that they are there because they flunked English last semester.
    I start this Monday and I am trying not to panic on how to be sure those 2 hours are filled up. As you are all well aware, any empty time is a recipe for disaster so I must plan accordingly. I don't have much time to lesson plan due to the short notice.
    If any of you have any ideas on how to plan for 2 hour classes, I'd appreciate it. They gave me a few novels and plays--but I'd like to start with short stories and poems to be read aloud in class.
    I also think that almost all of the learning should take place in class and I don't plan on giving them much homework.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2009

My school does something similar-- we have 1 week summer school sessions. Each day for a week, the kids have a 2 hour session, a 30 minute break, then another 2 hours. They leave with homework.

I usually do short answers in the morning, then tackle a larger topic in the "afternoon" session. Maybe you could do something similar-- do spelling/ grammar/vocab in the first hour, then tackle the larger literature pieces in the second hour???

4. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 20, 2009

I teach elementary school and not HS,but I wonder how smart it is to pack 39 students into a class where each student has already failed the course. Good Luck.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2009

Good point. Our summer school classes max out at 12; I'll have 2 kids this year.

6. ANGRY AL

ANGRY AL Companion

Jun 20, 2009

Since they are going to be far from Shakespearean connoisseurs, have them write. Writing usually keeps them orderly. Have them copy things from the board for one segment (you can sell it as teaching them note-taking/study skills - perhaps relate it to what you are going to read that day) and see how essay writing works.

At that level, worksheets on things like reading skills (main idea, supporting details, etc.) works with them also. (That can be done independently, in groups - then compare answers among the groups, or as a class with you guiding them.

Two things to remember:
    1 - You have possibly (depending up who actually shows up) 39 kids in the class, crowd control is really the objective there, not education. Which leads to number....

2. - Four more weeks of the same English they just failed isn't going to suddenly make them scholars - they probably resent it anyhow. They're just fulfilling a requirement.

7. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jun 20, 2009

Thank you everyone--I will use your ideas on how to break up the two hour classes for six weeks.
    I am sure that some students will drop out thereby leaving me with less than 39 students.
    Angry Al, I love your posts. They're not only funny, they're insightful as hell.