2 days to celebrate Thanksgiving and explore the lives of Pilgrims

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by McKennaL, Nov 6, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 6, 2009

The week of Thanksgiving is a VERY VERY short week for us. Just two days.

We have decided NOT to attempt ANY of the planned literacy curriculum unit (but come back to it when we return). Instead.. we will be doing some sort of pilgrim/thanksgiving thingy.

Since it is my job -during the LTS assignment - to plan for the team's kindergarten afternoons, I looking for ways to fill our time.

Any ideas? (I'll list things *I* find too)

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 7, 2009

I have literacy, math, and art activities on my Thanksgiving page if that's what you're looking for. There's also info there about our Sharing Salad that we do instead of the pilgrim/indian feast thing.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 7, 2009

I have decided (on my own) that for the next TWO weeks, I'm pretty much abandoning my literacy curriculum for Thanksgiving related activities. Between the pilgrims, native americans, and talking about being thankful, there is a LOT to cover. I'll keep going with the phonics and phonemic awareness activities, but all my literature and activities are going to be about Thanksgiving... in my book the MOST important holiday we celebrate. :D

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 8, 2009

We are also doing a lot of projects. I usually do a Native American unit at this time-Legend of the Bluebonnet/Indian Paintbrush. I got the cutest little people cutouts that they are going to decorate and write about if they were Native American. We are also going to make tortilla tipis for a snack (they paint them with food coloring and stand it up with those long pretzel sticks). I also use colored pasta shells to make storytelling belts-they make mosaics with the shells (my kitchen looks like it exploded in rainbow pasta right now:) ).

Vanna-your website has some incredible ideas-as always! :)

6. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Nov 11, 2009

Am I the only one who hates teaching Thanksgiving? The history doesn't match what we teach and why we teach it, so I have a very hard time teaching it because of personal opinions about it all. As far as activities, we are off the actual week of Thanksgiving, so we teach it for a week during unit time the week before. We do everything from handprint turkeys to compare and contrast of past/present thanksgivings.

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 11, 2009

I actually love teaching and talking about Thanksgiving... I tell the kids it's my favorite holiday... and it is! I focus on the being thankful aspect and as far as the history goes, we talk about the pilgrims and Native Americans helping each other and how thankful the pilgrims were for the new friends they made. That's it. I conveniently leave out the whole part about the white man massacring them. I don't think they'd like that part... :eek:

8. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Nov 16, 2009

lol! I agree!:) I love it! Monday and Tuesday we are celebrating with no set curriculum...Monday we will dress and learn all about native americans since they were there first and then Tuesday we will dress like the pilgrims! We have been talking about it all month and this week we are doing the Thanksgiving book from kinderlit.

9. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 16, 2009

I am only going to be teaching Thankgiving for two and 1/2 days as well. With our curriculum map, this is all the time that I have. We will be discussing Native Americans and Pilgrims and how they used the lifeskill of friendship together. In addition, we will make friendship stew. We are showing friendship to others by hosting a food drive for our local food pantry.

10. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Nov 16, 2009

Love your ideas Vanna! Thanks for your awesome website.

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 17, 2009

I am focusing on the pilgrims coming to a new land, and working together and sharing our blessings. We are making pilgrim hats, floatable mayflower boats,and working together to make mini muffins and mini bread loaves. They children will get to eat the mini muffins at school for a special treat the Friday before thanksgiving and they will each get to take a bread loaf home to share with their family

12. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Nov 17, 2009

Do you have recipes to share!? Do they actually bake it at school!? What do you use to make the mini loafs!? Do you have a special pan?! I would love to do this too!:)