2 aides in classroom--HELP!! I wish I was by myself!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by iloveschool, Aug 14, 2011.

1. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Aug 14, 2011

Ok - I am teaching first grade for the first time. I have taught pre-k with an aide for four years. Each grade level has one classroom with an aide. The councelor came to me and told me I was going to have the aide this year because I know how to utilize them im my classroom. Here is my problem. I will have two different aides- one MWF a different one T TH. One aide was in first grade last year and is telling everyone they are putting her in my room because she knows how to run the show and I am just going to follow her lead. The other aide is a known gossip who will want to talk to me and not stay on task. Now I am dreading having anyone in my class!!! Also- they both have kids and I do not want to have a class full of kids after school everyday!! Advise? I only have 14 students and do not think anyone is way far behind. I was excited about school staring - now I am dreading it!! Oh yea- the two aides do not like eachother!:dizzy:

3. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Aug 14, 2011

Can you use them for copying or checking papers. You might also use them for simple assessments like sight word lists, etc. It's been awhile since I taught first but that is what I might do.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2011

I would provide them with very specific tasks to complete each day. Keep what you ask of one aide different than the other, this way they don't have to interact.

Wait until you meet them and the year starts to form your opinion.

5. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

They don't have to like each other, they have to do their jobs.
    1) Supervise the groups that are not working with you.
    2) Pull children and have them read aloud(just for practice), do sight word lists, or learning games.
    3) Check homework, tally on a clipboard who does/doesn't have it.
    4) Make copies, laminate things, hang work in the room and in the hall, monitor students during whole group lessons.

I know that we were told that our aides have to be working with children most of the time. Do your aides have a job description? I would check that and run with it.

6. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

I was in a similar position last year...only it was one person. It ruined my whole summer because I was not looking forward to working with her.

I decided early to hold my ground. Concentrate on my class. Made lists of things I wanted her to do. It ended up not being as bad as I thought! Except the chattering which did hold me back from accomplishing as much as I would like. Plan now...have a sentence ready like..."Sara, I can't talk right now I want to get these papers graded, we'll talk after school."

Good Luck...and we'll be here to listen, if it gets to be too much!

7. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Aug 14, 2011

Thanks alot guys!!! Great ideas! I can not have them do anything like copying or grading- it is against school policy. They have to be working directly with students.I know both of them well already. I am going to hold my ground and take charge!! I can do this!!

8. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2011

I think the fact that you'll have 2 different aides will be beneficial in you being able to be in charge without seeming like you are being "bossy." You can do the following under the blanket of 'consistency.'

I found it was better to be proactive in listing out your expectations rather than finding yourself in a situation that forced you to be a manager after the fact.

Think about what you want the situation to look like and type out a clear list of expectations. I would include that you use the time after dismissal to make phone calls, hold conferences and plan and that they will need to make alternative arrangements for their children. I needed to include things like:

All personal phone calls should be taken in private during non-instructional times.

While it is OK to have a snack when the children are having their snack, it is not fair to eat or drink in front of them otherwise.

If you need to take meds (prescription or advil/tylenol) please do so outside of the classroom.

The other thing I found I needed to do and this was HUGE was write daily plans for them as well as myself. I basically needed to account for what was expected for each moment of the day:

The easiest way to do this was to create a template that included the daily events with a space to write in specifics. For example:

8:30-8:45 Take lunch count and attendance. Bring it to the classroom.

8:45 Morning Meeting I will lead the meeting. Please sit next to _______ and _____ and insure that they are focused and attentive.

9:00 Small Group Work
    You will be sitting at the blue table and working on ABC Bingo.
    Draw a letter, ask a student to read the card and check to be sure they properly mark their card.

etc.

Good luck.

9. juliechsa

juliechsa Rookie

Aug 15, 2011

In our school each classroom has a little table just outside the door and a storage cabinet on wheels for the aide. Any aides with kids have their kids work/wait in that area after school until mom is done with work and they can all go home. I don't think it's an official policy, but just how it has worked at my school.

10. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 15, 2011

I would have the associates pull kids from the room to work on things. It doesn't make alot of sense with only 14 kids to always have her in the room and it would feel like she was always breathing down your neck. I would set her up with a table outside of the classroom. You will probably end up enjoying the extra pair of hands!

Over the past two years of subbing that I have done, I have actually noticed that sometimes the bossiest associates are the one-on-one aides. They have to always be in the room and sometimes the kid they are with doesn't need that much help. I have had some days that have been miserable subbing with them! I had one that would race me to the phone and would not share any of the messages with me. She bossed me about everything all day long right down to how I had the kids put hand sanitizer on their hands before snack. I don't think she would have gotten away with acting like that with the regular teacher and she was probably treating me like that because I was the sub. However, she was not just trying to be helpful. She needed to realize that I needed to be in charge for the day.

If your situation ends up like that, I would talk with the both of them and let them know what their jobs are and what you would like them to do. It is your classroom and you need to be the one in charge.