2.5-3.5 preschool class what do you do?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by fiskeda, Jul 9, 2010.

1. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Jul 9, 2010

i would like to get an idea of what others do with age. I have them to day aweek fo 2.5 hours.

Dana:):)

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2010

I have this age group over the summer and it has been challenging for me to adapt to the younger age range. Some of mine are barely talking and still seem more like toddlers than preschoolers but I am learning to love them and watching their development.

They love sensory/kinesthetic activities of all types - water play, playdough, anything you can think of. My director isn't fond of messes but I firmly believe this age range really need it.

I do as much hands-on stuff as I can - sorting, counting, building, comparing, exploring.

I am trying to convince my director of the benefits of open-ended art instead of cutesy, cookie-cuter stuff - they love experimenting with different types of creativity.

They also love stories and songs and fingerplays of all types. Music and movement and lots of outside play are important. My group has really low language skills so I talk, talk, talk all the time and encourage conversations as much as I can.

Fine motor skills - drawing, tongs, sponges, tearing, learning to cut, etc. are well liked. I have several who are obsessed with glue.

I spend a lot of time building relationships, nurturing them and trying to teach them social skills.

Good luck and have fun.