1st year vs. 2nd year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 16, 2014

I've been reading my old threads and posts here and noticed that, at this time last year, I'd gone to the AP and other teachers a good number of times and asked for advice on classroom mgmt. This year, the AP came up to me and told me she has hardly spoken to me and asked how things were going. I said there is a tremendous difference between teaching 6th and 8th graders and I was not having any of the mgmt issues I had last year. AP said she was proud of me for improving my mgmt skills. So, as I always ponder about things, I wonder if the difference is my getting better or the change of scenery! Or that the change of scenery helped my mgmt. Or is it masking deficiencies that would still be there if I stayed in the 8th grade group? I honestly think I would have still struggled with the 8th graders but not as much as last year. AP says I relate better to the 6th graders so that helps with mgmt. Any comments? :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2014

I agree with the P This year might just be a better fit for you.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 16, 2014

My guess is it's a little of each. Better fit + better management skills.

5. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 16, 2014

Yep! I find that I relate better to 6th, too. 8th graders are just a different animal...one I can't control! :lol:

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 16, 2014

Last year I went to my P many many times. This is a small school, we don't have mentors (that was my first year), and she's extremely approachable. But I noticed that I went to her too many times, and it was always with things I struggled with, asking for advice. She never held it against me, always helped, and I know she looked at me as a teacher who seeks and follows advice, easy to manage, etc.
    But one comment she made once made me think. She said something like my classes weren't as bad as I made them sound like, I need to relax and give myself more credit, etc. So I realized that I painted a bad picture for her, because I never shared my successes (or hardly ever) and all she heard was the bad stuff.

This year I only go to her with issues that are unique, or are very difficult, and I always share what I had done to fix the situation. I also make sure I share my many successes in the classroom. I know I feel better, but I also know that I'm doing so much better this year. But if I have gone to her with every little problem, she would see it differently.