1st year teacher out of field ESOL

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Gatorgirl06, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Gatorgirl06

Gatorgirl06 Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Hello! I was just informed that my 1st grade classroom is going to have ESOL students in it and that I am out of field(whatever that means). This is going to be my first year teaching. Anyone have any advice or can anyone tell me what the process of getting certified/endorsed in ESOL is? Thanks for any help. =)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

It varies from state to state, but I'd guess in your case it could involve some combination of classwork and examinations.

Floridians who know, please enlighten us.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

Most classroom teachers where I have taught in Fl need 65 hours to lose the "out of field". The courses are usually offered by the district or you can take some at the local colleges. For the endorsement on your certificate, you need 300 hours. What part of Fl are you in?

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

I used to live there, taught in Seminole County. Check the Orange County school site for staff dev.. That is a huge county so they should be offering lots of courses. You could also check with UCF and the community colleges (Valencia and Seminole) to see what they offer. And talk to HR (just in case the rules have changed)
    I ended up getting my 300 hours one year when I taught in Santa Rosa County. The plus to that was they paid $900 when you finished.
    Good luck!

6. shortee

shortee Companion

Jul 18, 2007

Gatorgirl06 - Do you have your certification in elementary ed? I was considered out of field too beacuse I taught elementary school but my certification was middle grades math. I just had to take (and pass) the elementary ed exam to become "in field."

As far as the ESOL endorsement goes, not having that should not label you as "out of field." I think you have to take some classes to get that endorsement. I'm not familiar with Orange County. I'm in Hillsborough County. UCF is a good place to check with as beckysuek said...in our area USF offers those classes.

beckysuek, where did you teach in Santa Rosa County? I subbed in Navarre and in Gulf Breeze and my own kids went to school in Navarre. We all miss it.

7. Gatorgirl06

Gatorgirl06 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I have my Statement of Eligibility for a Professional certificate in Prek-3 so the grade level is definately not the problem. How confusing for me. The school told me I will be out of field because of the ESOL students and that I will have one year to become "in field." I am just curious what I am in for and how it all works. I know I will find out in time but my mind is working overtime. (You all know how that goes!!!) Thanks.

8. shortee

shortee Companion

Jul 19, 2007

That is confusing. I'd be interested in what you find out. I too need my ESOL endorsement but they led me to believe I was now in field. The majority of my students are ESOL.

9. Gatorgirl06

Gatorgirl06 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Oh well you are who I need to talk to then!! Do you make IEP for these students? I vaguely remember talk about what ESOL students require from my Education classes (should have paid better attention lol) Who prepared you to teach these students? Is there anything I can be doing right now to learn what is expected of me? The school seems so relaxed about me having ESOL students while I am FREAKING OUT! I just want to do well! haha Thanks!!

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2007

Shortee, I taught at west Navarre Elem the year that IVAN hit. We were living in Gulf Breeze and couldn't afford to rebuild there so we moved into Pensacola. I'm at a really nice suburban school now. Would love to move back to Gulf Breeze but insurance and property taxes are too much.

11. shortee

shortee Companion

Jul 19, 2007

beckysuek, we moved away in january 2004. my daughter was in 4th grade at west navarre elem at the time...my son was at navarre high. (They were both at west navarre in its 1st year!!!) My husband and I keep saying when we're ready to retire, we'll retire back in Navarre. We have some friends here (Bradenton) who are from Gulf Breeze as well. Small world.

Gatorgirl, we have a number of pullout programs at our school so the kids who are still lower level readers get quite a bit of special attention. Otherwise by grade 5 (which is what I teach) most of them are pretty much on grade level. So I don't really know what you'd need to prepare for 1st grade ESOL. I would think that your school must also have some special program(s) for the kids. Maybe an aide comes in and works with that group or something like that. Just ask...they'll only be pleased that you want to be prepared to do your best.

12. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 20, 2007

You can teach out of field for TWO years but then you must get the endorsement. It could mean that you may be out of a job if you DONT comply. I thought the ESOL endorsement was a requirement. They did grandfather in some people but most everyone was required to get the trainings. It will remain on record that you HAD/ or HAVE HAD a child who was needing ESOL strategies. Even if that child is registered in your class and LEAVES!

13. Gatorgirl06

Gatorgirl06 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

Thanks for the information.

14. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

I am also considered "out of field," which is a label that I do not like, especially since our principal is required by law to post the names of the out-of-field teachers in a place where parents have access. Parents don't understand what it means - I don't want anyone to think I am not qualified to teach their children.

Anyway, I had (I think) two years to sign up for my first ESOL class after receiving my first ESOL student. Hillsborough County offers on-line ESOL classes. They are tedious, but you can do them from home at your own pace. So far, I have taken two classes - each one is 60 hours. If you teach reading/language arts to your ESOL students, you will be required to take 300 hours total ESOL classes.

I have heard that there is an ESOL test you can take, but only after the completion of 120 hours (which I have now completed - YAY!). After passing the test, you are considered in-field. Of course, there are some teachers who are grandfathered in, as someone mentioned, and for recent education grads, there might be an ESOL endorsement built in to the degree.

If you are interested in finding out, in the meantime, how to best serve your ESOL kids, do a google search on ESOL elementary. There are tons of fabulous resources available. Feel free to PM me with additional questions.

15. shortee

shortee Companion

Jul 21, 2007

Scout About-Are those classes through USF? I need to begin taking them myself and so does someone else I know. Any info you have would be appreciated. I am in Hillsborough County too.

16. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

No, the classes are provided through Hillsborough County Staff Development. My school usually has a paper copy posted in the teacher's lounge of all of the ESOL inservice opportunities. You can also click the Staff Development icon on email (Ideas) and then choose ELL or ESOL in the category field. Classes for fall have not been posted yet, but check back once school starts. Good luck! PM me if you have additional questions.

17. shortee

shortee Companion

Jul 22, 2007

Scout About-Thanks so much. I'll keep checking. I need to get started on those asap. Appreciate the help.

18. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 25, 2007

The Consent Decree requries 300 hours of ESOL training. If your an elementary teacher, you will end up doing those 300 hours of training. It's built into most education grads programs now.