1st year teacher Classroom manangement HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Teach4kids, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Sep 4, 2007

:help:I am having sort of a rough time... to say the least. I don't know where to begin! I have rules we made as a class. I try to use tickets for the treasure chest, but is there any tips or suggestions you could offer to make things smoother??!!:help:

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 4, 2007

You said that as a class you made rules. Did you make consequences for the rules?

Be consistent! Follow the KISS principle in everything you do!

4. fullcircle

fullcircle Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

Possibly it is a problem of routines?

Make routines and practice them over and over for the first week or two. It helps if you have one child demonstrate the "correct way to line up (or whatever) then ask if someone would like to demonstrate the wrong way. This is very entertaining and helps the more boisterous students to get the attention in a positive way. Then have the same student who demonstrated the "wrong way to line up" show everyone that they know how to do it the correct way. I have been using this model with great success in a number of areas this year.

5. Teach4kids

Teach4kids Guest

Sep 4, 2007

What is the KISS principle? We did make consequences but nothing seems to get them to stop talking!!!

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 4, 2007

I imagine the poster means Keep It Simple....

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 4, 2007

I did away with bribing this year. I used to do whole group, small group, and individual incentives. This year, I have only given rewards for grades and only on things I deem worthy.

There are moments when I want to whip out the extrinsic motivators, but I'm going to keep trying not to bribe them for good behavior for a while longer.

8. twincheryl

twincheryl Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

fullcircle... are you using Daily 5? it sounds just like the routine in that book... i started it as well and have used the model right way/model wrong way - then have the person model right in many different areas this year... it works really well!